U.S. Support of Gay Rights in Africa May Have Done More Harm Than Good [NY Times]

U.S. Support of Gay Rights in Africa May Have Done More Harm Than Good

LAGOS, Nigeria — Suspicious neighbors and landlords pry into their private lives. Blackmailers hunt for victims on the social media sites they use to meet others of the same sex. Police officers routinely stop them to search for incriminating images and chats on their cellphones.
From Our Advertisers

Since an anti-gay law went into effect last year, many gay Nigerians say they have been subjected to new levels of harassment, even violence.

They blame the law, the authorities and broad social intolerance for their troubles. But they also blame an unwavering supporter whose commitment to their cause has been unquestioned and conspicuous across Africa: the United States government.

“The U.S. support is making matters worse,” said Mike, 24, a university student studying biology in Minna, a town in central Nigeria who asked that his full name not be used for his safety. “There’s more resistance now. It’s triggered people’s defense mechanism.”

Four years ago, the American government embarked on an ambitious campaign to expand civil rights for gay people overseas by marshaling its diplomats, directing its foreign aid and deploying President Obama to speak before hostile audiences.

The story continues and please pay attention:

***Since 2012, the American government has put more than $700 million into supporting gay rights groups and causes globally. More than half of that money has focused on sub-Saharan Africa ***— just one indication of this continent’s importance to the new policy.

America’s money and public diplomacy have opened conversations and opportunities in societies where the subject was taboo just a few years ago. But they have also made gay men and lesbians more visible — and more vulnerable to harassment and violence, people on both sides of the gay rights issue contend. The American campaign has stirred misgivings among many African activists, who say they must rely on the West’s support despite often disagreeing with its strategies.

Read more at: nytimes.com/2015/12/21/world/africa/us-support-of-gay-rights-in-africa-may-have-done-more-harm-than-good.html?_r=0

So since 2012, just in Sub-Saharan Africa, $ 350 million into sub-Saharan Africa on this project alone? I don’t want to see any persecution or injustice or denial of rights but really; are booklets printed up or what? :frowning: With all due respect as well, doesn’t this also point to at times, our government not really functioning that well? To spend money like this and could it have been accomplished (if it has to be that is) by spending less?

Looks like more taxpayer money is being wasted.

Why should it surprise anyone that the current government here in the United States is not just wasting money, but spending it on evil movements?

Maybe these budgets that are passed make these projects possible which is unwelcomed by me, how else could this be funded? It seems to me, only with congress’s help could this be possible.

Good article by the Times though.

Its difficult to operate in African countries. When doing philanthropic work in such places it is important to note that huge portions of grants and aide monies are embezzled by government officials and bribes are frequently demanded by local officials in order to operate. Its hard to know what, if any, waste there was in USAID’s expenditures particularly since they haven’t been disclosed due to security concerns.

I was just thinking and I would imagine that our tax dollars would go, at least in part, to things such as this. I hate the fact that my tax dollars go to such movements, even if it is only a tiny fraction of my tax dollars. That said, I also hate that my tax dollars can go towards other movements such as making contraception more widely available and the pro-abortion movement which this administration definitely supports.

A lot of Africans wouldn’t consider that philanthropic work. They would consider it cultural imperialism.

I’m confused. What philanthropic work are you talking about? Philanthropy implies charitable giving to a good cause. This is goverment funds that are being siphoned of for social engineering.

We are talking about something like 2-3% of USAid funds to those areas going to export some Americans idea of good. That is in comparison to the 200 million spent over 14 years to combat human trafficking. So the US has spend nearly 115 million per year over 3 years to promote LGBT issues in Africa and approximately 13 million per year over 14 years to combat trafficking globally. There is a huge difference between philanthropy and social engineering.

I suppose promoting human rights could be viewed as a form of social engineering just as most charities that operate there could be. Its desperately needed considering that their prejudice and hatred of LGBT people runs so deep that state-sanctioned murder is law in several parts of the country.The actions and attitudes towards LGBT people is hardly reflective of the Catechism’s call to treat said people with dignity.

Then they can find someone else’s teat to suckle on.

Saying that people should not be persecuted is one thing; promoting sin is quite another. They should not be conflated.

ICXC NIKA

You are totally right. Indeed it us seen as imperialism and that is why it causes more harm because people will reject it more strongly and will treat people who are seen as part of the imperialism.machine worst. In those countries is not.about rights but about the imperialist machine trying to eliminate their culture.

Although I agree and see it as a bit of cultural imperialism as well, curiously enough, others, honestly see this as about treating all people with equal rights. I don’t agree with that but some of them see themselves on such a crusade for civil rights.

I completely agree with you. The movement insofar as it relates to not allowing persecution of those with same sex attraction is a good thing. However, this movement goes much further and seeks to legalize “gay marriage” and other such atrocities.

December 8, 2015

Inside the Struggle for LGBT Rights in Cameroon: 'It’s Normal to Kill Somebody for Being Gay’

Two years ago, Cedric Tchante fled his home in Douala, Cameroon, under the cover of night. Between the torture and murder of a dear friend and the death threats against him that had expanded to his mother, it had become clear the then 28-year-old needed to get out fast and in secret.

Tchante had been working as a peer counselor educator and HIV prevention education coordinator at Cameroon’s first center for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people – a dangerous job in a country where homosexuality is punishable by up to five years in prison.

“It’s normal to kill somebody for being gay or lesbian in Cameroon and you will have no problem with the police of the courts,” Tchante, now 30, tells PEOPLE. “It’s really difficult to be an activist because you know you are going to be persecuted. But when you see all the problems that the LGBT community has you have to help because somebody needs to do it.”

According to Amnesty International, Cameroon is one of 38 African nations where homosexuality is illegal. In the Central African nation, homosexuality is widely stigmatized and citizens are often arrested, charged and sentenced without a single piece of evidence.

Born This Way is a documentary that tells the story of Tchante and three other young, gay Cameroonians forced to hide in a country that refuses to accept them. The young people are in danger everywhere except at Alternatives Cameroun, the LGBT center where Tchante worked.

Read more at: people.com/article/born-this-way-inside-struggle-lgbt-rights-cameroon

This above would be harrowing indeed.

It looks like Malawi, a country in some of these stories is loosening up. If these as in the above article is what the rights struggle is about, it does raise some different questions instead of just saying this is about “same sex marriage” for instance.

The problem as Holly states is that the two things are intermixed. It is not just about stopping persecution, but in normalization of homosexuality. There is a big difference between “X is wrong, but you can’t kill them” and “X is good and should be freely celebrated”.

I have no problem with penal punishment against certain types of propaganda and even sodomy laws, but they need to be proportional. For instance if a country rejects homosexuality as a moral evil then I have no problem with them having something like a 30 - 90 day sentence for conviction. At the same time if someone is killed for homosexual acts, then a jail sentence of 5 - 10+ plus is perfectly just for the killers.

The problem is when we go a step further and say that homosexuality must be accepted as a good and normal part of being human. It is possible to focus on laws against persecution without pushing ideological constructs that equate homosexuality and heterosexuality as equal.

Whatever happened to cultural self-determination?

Hillary said they couldn’t go into Benghazi to help those being attacked because they needed to get permission from Libya (did they try?) but thinks it’s ok to change people’s cultures. Hypocrisy, anyone?

Africa is a continent with many different nations.

Do you have a source for the information that “state-sanctioned murder” is the law in some or all African nations?

Then they can find someone else’s teat to suckle on.

Unfortunately, the way we got into all this was by helping nations who were offered help by nations who were or are our enemies. For example, we did not want the Soviet Union to gain control in any part of Africa.

/QUOTE]

:thumbsup:

There has to be some underlying, society-control mechanism underlying this continuing SS agenda, worldwide. The Western world has already bowed to it. Does Africa not have much bigger problems e.g. starvation, clean water, poverty, civil wars, etc… that could be better socially addressed first.

Still don’t understand the underlying raison d’etre for the promotion of the gay agenda, and SSM, anywhere in the world, let alone in Africa! :shrug:

Needless to say, it is completely wrong that gay people should be imprisoned, etc… in such countries. But there are other atrocities effecting human rights issues, such as underage marriages, female circumcision, sex trafficking, even widows get abused and treated unfairly, etc…that are of equal importance, so why not $700 million to address these issues. :shrug:

I’m sure SS issues are way, way down at the bottom of their list of problems/priorities, at this point in time.*

Agreed; also, what makes this difficult someone once told me is when the Supreme Court struck down “sodomy laws”; that largely opened things up since now it was not illegal. It’s a complex situation in that. Of course, I’d think the traditional definition is obvious, this is all a bit crazy to me.

I think part of the problem is that the U.S. goes beyond basic rights and tries to evangelize its dogma of gay “marriage.” The African bishops, for example, have been fighting for human rights, but the U.S. goes beyond that and into imposing Western secular marital dogmas.

Resources
Bishop says U.S. is blackmailing Nigeria
AFRICA/SOUTH AFRICA - “No to laws that discriminate homosexuals”: editorial of the Catholic Southern Cross
Who leads the fight against gay discrimination in Nigeria? The Catholic Church, prelate says

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.