U.S. Supreme Court, with 8 justices, to hear major abortion case

The U.S. Supreme Court takes up a major abortion case on Wednesday focusing on whether a Texas law that imposes strict regulations on abortion doctors and clinic buildings interferes with the constitutional right of a woman to end her pregnancy . . .

The court potentially could split 4-4, with its four liberal justices opposing the abortion restrictions and its four conservatives backing the regulations, an action that would let stand a lower-court ruling that affirmed the Texas law but would not set a nationwide legal precedent . . .

At issue in Wednesday’s case is whether the Texas requirements violate that principle (i.e., “undue burden”) by putting a “substantial obstacle” in the path of a woman before a fetus becomes viable.

cbc.ca/news/world/supreme-court-hears-abortion-case-1.3472028

This case illustrates how important the upcoming Presidential Election will be because some of the U.S. Supreme Court Justices are quite elderly and will most likely retire and whichever political party takes the White House in 2016 will nominate possibly several new U.S. Supreme Court Justices to the U.S. Supreme Court.

I hope the Supreme Court rules the regulations/restrictions can stand or leave it to the lower court 4-4, so that in turn will allow it to stand.

The news said that Republicans were meeting with Obama yesterday to discuss SCOTUS picks.

Obama and G.O.P. Senators Meet on Filling Scalia’s Seat, to No Avail

mobile.nytimes.com/2016/03/02/us/politics/obama-to-make-case-to-gop-senators-to-fill-supreme-court-seat.html?_r=0&referer=https://www.google.co.uk/

Well I’m disappointed.

It’s either gonna go 4-4 with the lower courts decisions standing, or 5-3 towards the pro-choice side. Kennedy is the swing vote, as the other 7 votes are essentially written in stone.

Any word on when the results will come in?

From what I just read, this is looking far more bleak than promising for the pro-life side.

usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2016/03/02/supreme-court-abortion-clinics-restrictions-texas/81176634/

June, I believe. And now that the Supreme Court has also stayed the Louisiana ruling regarding abortion doctors needing admitting privileges at hospitals, I believe that it will probably be a 5-3 decision in favor of abortion rights. Any law that closes that many abortion clinics in one fell swoop is unduly burdensome to women seeking the procedure.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.