U.S. woman killed in London stabbing attack

LONDON – Police on Thursday confirmed to CBS News that the woman killed in Wednesday’s knife attack in central London was an American citizen.

A teenager, who the police said in a statement was a Norwegian national of Somali origin, stabbed the woman to death and injured five other people near the British Museum. Mental health may have been a factor in the attack, police said, but "terrorism remains one line of inquiry."http://www.cbsnews.com/news/u-s-woman-killed-in-london-stabbing-attack/

Try that link again
cbsnews.com/news/u-s-woman-killed-in-london-stabbing-attack/

How terrible! Praying for those involved.

sadly I was wondering what the odds might be that an American might be among the injured. Sad to hear it was the American who was murdered.

Probably pretty good odds, considering the size of London’s American ex-pat community.

has she been identified yet? was she a tourist?

From what’s being reported on Sky News, the victim was a woman from Florida who was there on vacation.

How terribly sad, she wasn’t even domiciled in the UK :frowning:

very tragic. my neighbors are getting ready to move to Spain for 4 months. he is a professor. I can tell the husband is feeling apprehensive although I am not sure Spain has taken the high number of migrants in like France, Germany or Italy. I pray they will be safe until they return in December.

Praying for the woman and other injured in the UK

Lord, have mercy.
Christ, have mercy.
Lord, have mercy.

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be Thy name.
Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread and forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Amen.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women
And blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary, Mother of God,
Pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit,
As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be world without end. Amen.

:signofcross:

the wife of a Florida professor who was teaching a summer class over there.

London authorities almost immediately blamed this on “mental problems”

Well, there probably right, all jihadists are mental cases… :rolleyes:

Is the identity of the killer still being concealed? A protected minority perhaps? :rolleyes:

Take your pick as to what the motive will be. He didn’t get on with his co-workers, his marriage was breaking up, he was a repressed homosexual, he heard voices, he was estranged from his family. Anyone else see a pattern ?

To be fair, a random attack like this can take place anywhere. Stabbings and shootings happen every day all over the world, for a whole variety of reasons. Time and chance has a lot to play in getting caught up in such an incident.

The U.S. has actually been the recipient of more terror attacks than London in the last two decades. We haven’t had a major incident that wasn’t successfully foiled since 7/7 in 2005, unless you count the butchering of Lee Rigby by two Islamists.

At some point, the terrorists will get through but our security services are better here than on the continent, which is why the new EU Comissioner for Security is a Brit despite of Brexit.

Spain hasn’t been major my hit in the same way as France or Germany, so your neighbours should be fine. We all just need to be vigilant in these times.

All good points. It’s also worth pointing out that almost anywhere in Europe you are 50 times less likely to be the victim of a homicide compared with the USA.

we live in a small mountain resort town of 80, 000.
think the last major attack in Spain was the Madrid subway bombing many years ago and Spain has been successful in foiling a couple of attacks.

Once you get away from inner city areas of places like Detroit, Chicago, Baltimore, Washington DC, New Orleans, etc America becomes very peaceful.

it seems that way.

Not really. The homicide rate is higher in every single US state compared to any European country. The three states with the lowest homicide rates account for less than 5% of the US population - and still there the homicide rate is higher than most European countries.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.