U2's Bono - Defending the faith! Yes!

Looks like Bono has gotten bitten by the Christian apologetics bug, and has gone public! Praise the Lord!! I highlighted my favorite parts, and added a note in parentheses.

3-August-2005 – Catholic News Agency

INFLUENTIAL EVANGELIST: U2’S BONO MAKES STRONG STATEMENT IN SUPPORT OF CHRIST
NEW YORK, USA, August 3 (CNA) -

For years, the exact nature of the religious beliefs of Bono, lead singer songwriter of the band U2, have eluded fans and music experts. But now, in an interview published in the new book Bono in Conversation by Michka Assayas, the Irish superstar makes some very strong statements about Christ, grace and the nature of salvation.

Although the Irish-born mega star professes to be a Christian, and although many of his song lyrics reflect it, some say Bono’s actions, “rock star antics” and various statements contradict this.

The interview however, throws some new light onto the faith of a musician who grew up watching first hand the bloody battle between Catholics and Protestants which wracked northern Ireland for years. Bono grew up in Dublin with a Protestant mother and a Catholic father.

Perhaps in light of this, Assayas asks Bono if he thinks “appalling things” happen when people become religious. The singer responds by showing the deep personal relationship the Christian faith calls believers to with God, rather than the violent extremism the interviewer seems to be prodding to.

At one key point in the interview, Bono talks about the difference between Karma and Grace, a difference which he says, is a “mind blowing concept…that keeps me on my knees.”

“At the center of all religions” Bono tells his skeptical interviewer, “is the idea of Karma. You know, what you put out comes back to you: an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, or in physics-in physical laws-every action is met by an equal or an opposite one.”

“And yet,” he says, “along comes this idea called Grace to upend all that. . . . Love interrupts, if you like, the consequences of your actions, which in my case is very good news indeed, because I’ve done a lot of stupid stuff.”

Unwilling to divulge the “stuff” in question, Bono admits "I’d be in big trouble if Karma was going to finally be my judge…It doesn’t excuse my mistakes, but I’m holding out for Grace. I’m holding out that Jesus took my sins onto the Cross, because I know who I am, and I hope I don’t have to depend on my own religiosity."

**Later in the interview, the musician seems to take a page from C.S. Lewis, the famous British author and theologian, who wrote the famous “Lord, liar, or lunatic” discourse. He says, “Look, the secular response to the Christ story always goes like this: He was a great prophet, obviously a very interesting guy, had a lot to say along the lines of other great prophets, be they Elijah, Muhammad, Buddha, or Confucius.” **

**“But actually”, he says, “Christ doesn’t allow you that. He doesn’t let you off that hook.” **

**“Christ says, No,” Bono continues. “I’m not saying I’m a teacher, don’t call me teacher. I’m not saying I’m a prophet. I’m saying: ‘I’m the Messiah.’ I’m saying: ‘I am God incarnate.’ . . . So what you’re left with is either Christ was who He said He was-the Messiah-or a complete nutcase. . . . The idea that the entire course of civilization for over half of the globe could have its fate changed and turned upside-down by a nutcase, for me that’s farfetched.” **

**(And now, the most touching sign of God’s grace at work…) **

Recently, just after the death of Pope John Paul II, the singer hung what has now become the tell-tale rosary which hangs around his neck–a gift from the late Pontiff, from his microphone during a concert, in a silent tribute to the great Pope.

Please join me in prayer for Bono, and all those, in and out of the public’s eye, who take a bold stance for Christ!

Already posted. (But, I was having issues of WHERE to post it. – Maybe more people will see it here.) :slight_smile:

This is amazing.

Also, keep on eye on Tony Blair, Prime Minister of England.

heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,16113529%5E1702,00.html

Bottom line - he’s dropping out of politics to focus on religious dialog. He’s Anglican, but his wife is observant Catholic. I have a hunch he’s a convert in waiting.

Also watch Paul McCartney, who’s said to have had a spiritual awakening and has affinity with Catholic faith as seen in his song Let It Be.

Finally, check out this editorial by a non-believer Brit who is now convinced that Chesterton was right - we must become Catholic or die.

telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml;jsessionid=JUTED45EANVMVQFIQMFSM5OAVCBQ0JVC?xml=/opinion/2005/07/31/do3102.xml&sSheet=/opinion/2005/07/31/ixopinion.html

The harvest is plenty, my friends.

It is great that he has finally ‘come out’ as a Christian ( he isn’t Catholic though - was Baptised in the Episcopalian Church of Ireland) and should we be surprised? Not really. Many of the songs of U2 have a high moral/christian content or theme to them.

Now all we have to do is persuade him that Stem-Cell research is not a great and wonderful thing (he advocates for stem-cell research at his concerts).

BTW: Cherie Booth-Blair is supposedly a communicant Catholic; however she is a strong supporter of ‘women’s choice’ aka abortion and also is a public supporter of Ordination of Women. But if she brings her old man into the Church; great! Has to wait for him to give up the day job. Never been a Catholic PM and tradition and our unwritten Constitution dictates against it being possible for him to convert and still keep the job.

Peace be with you!

All right Bono!!! This is great news! I like the way he explains the “don’t call me teacher” verses.

In Christ,
Rand

[quote=Cockney Clive]Cherie Booth-Blair is supposedly a communicant Catholic; however she is a strong supporter of ‘women’s choice’ aka abortion and also is a public supporter of Ordination of Women. But if she brings her old man into the Church; great!
[/quote]

we don’t need them, we don’t need more false Catholics, we don’t need more false prophets, we don’t need more anti-Christs.
Matthew 7, 15: “Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but underneath are ravenous wolves”.

Without disrespecting Bono,

It really annoys me:mad: to see people wearing rosary beads.They are a counting device for a very imprtant prayer.But people seem to treat them as fashionable, cool,:cool: lucky!

does any one get annoyed seeing people like bono/people wearing rosary beads?

PS:if bono used the beads I would have absolutely no prob him wearing them, it is when people who dont seem to hold any Christian values, beliefs are wearing them that I really get annoyed.

[quote=blackfish152]Without disrespecting Bono,

It really annoys me:mad: to see people wearing rosary beads.They are a counting device for a very imprtant prayer.But people seem to treat them as fashionable, cool,:cool: lucky!

PS:if bono used the beads I would have absolutely no prob him wearing them, it is when people who dont seem to hold any Christian values, beliefs are wearing them that I really get annoyed.
[/quote]

I have issues even when Bono does it. As a U2 fan, I am torn by a lot of things here. I WANT to support Bono in all that he does, but, I cannot because, he doesn’t follow the Catholic Church. He and his wife support the UN (and promote it), he sometimes seems to king of say that Jews, Christians, & Mohamadeans are all one (I understand we are all decendants of Abraham, but, I still cringe).

I can understand his plea during “Wake Up Dead Man”, but, he also DID begin “Where the Streets Have No Name” the last tour (Elevation) with quotes of parts of Psalms (What can I give to God for the blessings he has poured out on me? I will lift high the cup of salvation --or something like this). He also wrote 40 based on the 40th Psalm & Gloria partially in Latin, in case you all didn’t already know this.

[quote=blackfish152]Without disrespecting Bono,

[/quote]

Peace be with you!

Well, from that interview, Bono DOES hold Christian beliefs. And it also stated that he was wearing the rosary given to him by our late Holy Father as a sign of respect for the man. I don’t think he was trying to be fashionable.

In Christ,
Rand

[quote=That1Guy]"**So what you’re left with is either Christ was who He said He was-the Messiah-or a complete nutcase. . . . The idea that the entire course of civilization for over half of the globe could have its fate changed and turned upside-down by a nutcase, for me that’s farfetched." **

[/quote]

I’ve never been a huge fan of Bono, but this line is a CLASSIC! :smiley:

Bono and the rest of U2 have identified themselves as Christian for quite some time. Their second album, October, (released in 1982, I think) was actually stocked under Christian Music in many record stores. Also, the song Sunday Bloody Sunday was supposedly written after one of the band members quit the band because he was unable to reconcile Jesus and rock music. He reconsidered (thankfully) and they wrote the song which is primarily about conflict between religions in society.

Bono may be reluctant to identify with a particular sect because he was a product of a Protestant/Catholic marriage - a very difficult way to grow up in Ireland. He didn’t fit in on either side because of his heritage.

Bono has another great quote: After the birth of his 4th child with his wife of 20-some years, a reporter asked him, “what made you decide to have another child?” Bono replied, “Well, it just seemed like someone was missing.” :thumbsup:

[quote=Rand Al’Thor]Bono DOES hold Christian beliefs.
[/quote]

also the devil (matthew 8, 29)

[quote=barsapp]also the devil (matthew 8, 29)
[/quote]

Do you have a point?

[quote=Rand Al’Thor]Peace be with you!

Well, from that interview, Bono DOES hold Christian beliefs. And it also stated that he was wearing the rosary given to him by our late Holy Father as a sign of respect for the man. I don’t think he was trying to be fashionable.

In Christ,
Rand
[/quote]

ACTUALLY, I think that the rosary he wears is only a replica.

Ham1: Ummm…actually…only 3/4 of U2 has ID’d themselves as Christian.

Bono’s my idol!!!

oops, uh, duh, sorry, I have no idols :wink:

[quote=Ham1]Do you have a point?
[/quote]

The devil as the first believer. Matthew 8, 29: "What have you to do with us, Son of God?”

I don´t know that he was an episcopolian, but speaking about grace and not sola fide is already a success. Greetings

[quote=barsapp]The devil as the first believer. Matthew 8, 29: "What have you to do with us, Son of God?”
[/quote]

I think that’s probably the worst comparison I’ve ever heard…Bono and the devil. And the devil was not the first believer in Jesus…Mary was, and then Elizabeth and Joseph, John the Baptist (jumped in Elizabeth’s womb).

In Christ,
Rand

[quote=Ham1] Also, the song Sunday Bloody Sunday was supposedly written after one of the band members quit the band because he was unable to reconcile Jesus and rock music. He reconsidered (thankfully) and they wrote the song which is primarily about conflict between religions in society.
:thumbsup:
[/quote]

Bloody Sunday was a real event that happened in Northern Ireland in 1972. It was my understanding that song was about that event.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Sunday_(1972

[quote=rayne89]Bloody Sunday was a real event that happened in Northern Ireland in 1972. It was my understanding that song was about that event.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Sunday_(1972)
[/quote]

The song is about that event.

And while I’ve got the posting box open, the British columnist who is apparently convinced “we must become Catholic or die” said no such thing.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.