UAW suddenly retreats from fight at Tennessee VW plant

(Reuters) - The United Auto Workers, surprising even its supporters, on Monday abruptly withdrew its legal challenge to a union organizing vote that it lost at a Volkswagen AG plant in Chattanooga, Tennessee in February.

Just an hour before the start of a National Labor Relations Board hearing on the challenge, the union dropped its case, casting a cloud over its long and still unsuccessful push to organize foreign-owned auto plants in the U.S. South.

VW workers due to testify at the hearing were already at the courthouse in downtown Chattanooga when they heard the news, which left lawyers in the hearing room wondering how to proceed.

reuters.com/article/2014/04/21/us-vw-uaw-tennessee-idUSBREA3K0GG20140421

I was expecting as much, and even surprised that they entered the challenge in the first place.

I really didn’t think that they would want any type of precedent where statements by local politicians could be used to overturn an organization vote.

There are quite a number of interesting quotes by union supportive politicians, not necessarily in this particular election, but others. If corporations could use similar, pro-union, statements to overturn a union vote, or to tie it up in litigation, that would be problematic for the union.

Perhaps they were afraid of the truth of union organizing tactics coming out.

I think it dawned on the UAW that they didn’t have much of a case. As it was built on politicians lying. We all know there is nothing illegal or rare about that. :rolleyes:

ATB

Face it. Tennesee and the South are ultra conservative. anti-union states. With their right to work (for less) laws the UAW hasn’t a chance. Frankly I am surprised that they even tried.

Does it occur to you that autoplants would not even be there if they had to use union labor? Sure they are working for somewhat less, but it is a lot more than regular factories pay and in a depressed economy where most new hires likely had no income at all.

Doesn’t the Catholic Church support unions? I think I read in the Catechism of the Catholic Church that it does.

The Catholic Church supports the right of workers to unionize. I would also supposed they support the right to not join a union. I would also suppose they don’t support everything unions do.

You are incorrect in this case. VW already pays their employees more than UAW wages.

What difference would it have made if it was union or non-union labor?

Here is what the Catechism says about labor unions:

vatican.va/roman_curia/pontifical_councils/justpeace/documents/rc_pc_justpeace_doc_20060526_compendio-dott-soc_en.html#The%20importance%20of%20unions

Fr Joe Scott has written an article regarding Catholic Church and labor unions:

bustedhalo.com/questionbox/what-does-the-catholic-church-teach-about-labor-unions

This is a fascinating case. VW is unionized in Germany and elsewhere in the world. VW actually preferred having a union at their new plant in Tennessee. They did not build there to escape the reach of the UAW. Quite different from Toyota, Nissan, Honda, etc. It was the VW labor force that did not want the union.

Absolutely not true.

VW management was very supportive of having a union. VW labor was not.

VW chose TN because of a workforce willing to actually work, right to work status, tax advantages, lower energy costs, less state gov’t restrictions, etc.

Yes.It also supports the right of workers not to unionize.

Yes, and actually the Libertarian Party does as well, except in the case of working for the government.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.