UC Berkeley cancels Breitbart provocateur Milo Yiannopoulos event as protests turn violent

BERKELEY — Less than two hours before right-wing lightning-rod Milo Yiannopoulos was prepared to bring his controversial act to UC Berkeley Wednesday amid heightened security and calls by detractors to shut down the event, campus officials canceled the event shortly after demonstrations turned violent.

Tensions rose shortly after a group of protesters wearing bandanas set fire to wood pallets and debris near a barricade. Protesters threw fireworks in the direction of police officers, who wore full riot gear and returned fire with tear gas. A light generator was knocked down and set on fire, where demonstrators surrounded the blaze with their signs in the air. Metal barricades set around the building were chucked into windows.

Police issued dispersal orders, but protesters continued to rally against the conservative speaker. Yiannopoulos responded to the protesters on Facebook.

“One thing we do know for sure: the Left is absolutely terrified of free speech and will do literally anything to shut it,” he wrote.

eastbaytimes.com/2017/02/01/uc-berkeley-cancels-breitbart-provocateur-milo-yiannopoulos-event/

Well, it sounds like peace and order have been restored in Berkeley. At a high price, free speech. If you don’t want to someone to express his or her viewpoint, just create enough chaos and threats of violence. I should mention this guy (whom I have never heard or read) was in Seattle and there was violence as well - including a shooting.
seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/police-release-man-arrested-in-uw-shooting/ - you have to read this

What a slant that article has! :eek:

I appreciate the post, but it’s clear what their agenda is when they have use quotation marks around political correctness. :rolleyes:

I went for left articles - didn’t want to use Breitbart.

It’s fine. :slight_smile:

Milo has really created quite a stir at college campuses in the USA. I’m glad he’s doing what he’s doing because it’s high these left-wing echo chambers received an awakening.

Free speech does not mean Berkley must provide anyone a podium and a microphone. I would no more expect Berkley to host Breitbart than the KKK.

UC Davis interim Chancellor Ralph Hexter said he was “deeply disappointed” by the protests and the cancellation.

“Our community is founded on principles of respect for all views, even those that we personally find repellent,” Hexter said in a statement after the cancellation. “As I have stated repeatedly, a university is at its best when it listens to and critically engages opposing views, especially ones that many of us find upsetting or even offensive.”

Hexter said he worries that outside groups are using college campuses to trigger conflicts intended for the national stage. He acknowledged the difficulty of protecting open speech in a field rife with landmines.

“I get very, very alarmed with folks who don’t treat [freedom of speech] for the treasure that it is,” he said two weeks ago.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-milo-yiannopoulos-berkeley-20170201-story.html

The plot thickens. He was cancelled at UC - Davis too.

Yiannopoulos lives for this kind of thing. He *loves *it. He’s happier with this than he would have been if his speaking engagement had gone on without any trouble.

Believe me, I have no sympathy for violent demonstrators, or those who would stifle any expression of ideas with which they disagree. None.

But Yiannopoulos is a professional troll, nothing more. The most effective way to deal with him would be to simply ignore him. Without the attention he craves, he’d just wither away.

Actually, it does otherwise it’s not free speech. This is a public place funded in no small party by taxpayers.

Just think what would happen if a Black Lives Matter or Gay Pride event were cancelled.

And comparing Breitbart to the KKK? :rotfl:

Stormfront has boycotted Breitbart because of Milo!

And along with Milo it’'s other lead writer, Ben Shapiro, is a Jew!

Sorry, but the KKK and Jewish and gay republicans who brag about an interracial, homosexual sex life in public don’t really have a lot in common.

My advice is not to swing at pitches in the dirt.

Milo Yiannopoulos makes some very good points every time he speaks, but as the old saying goes “Other than that Mrs Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play”, the man is a pervert and can’t stop talking about it. At the same time, left wing protesters in America are out of control and for that reason I’m glad that many of those arrested on Inauguration Day are facing felony rioting charges.

Milo’s style is crude college humor. It used to be the type of thing seen on MTV in a lighter shade before they decided to become buzzfeed cable.

It’s really not a family event by any means, but it’s not like he disguises that either.

If you go to see him, you know you’re getting unless you’re living in an igloo.

I am not familiar with this comedian. Any worse than the hate comedy from Amy Schumer, Chelsea Handler or Samantha Bee?

Excellent post. :slight_smile:

The “liberals” who get all worked up about him and ban him are merely increasing his popularity and hardening his supporters in their positions. “Professional troll” is a bit charitable. “Professional drama queen” would be more accurate, even in terms of his much-hyped sexual orientation. :stuck_out_tongue:

I thought the 1960s were, like, soooo 20th century… but I guess not. And the college admin folks seem to have learned Nothing At All.

Hopefully a reincarnation of Reagan will show up…

He’s also a white nationalist so…

If you defend Milo, you’re trash. Sorry, its 2017 we have to call Nazis Nazis.

I confess I know nothing about Milo, but what I’ve just read here. But I’ve spent plenty of time in Berkeley, and know it quite well. Berkeley politics haven’t changed since the 60’s. At present, it’s Comrade Bernie Sanders-land. As a whole it’s voters are also strongly pro-abortion, pro-same sex “marriage,” pro-“transgender” lunacy, pro-social engineering in general. Pretty much pro everything that church teaching is against.

You’re a communist! Hey, this is fun. Kind of stupid though.

Can you define these two terms and show how Milo is each?

In the US, even Nazis have first amendment rights.

No he isn’t. Even the NY times had to walk that accusation back.

Funny, everyone keeps telling me about fascism is coming from the right. All I see in actuality are a lot of brownshirt facist tactics on the left with attempt to shut down and block any point of view with shouting, violence and attempted shaming tactics vice discourse.

Milo’s said repeatedly the antics on the left and outrageously vicious attacks can only be responded to by being outrageous himself.

The only reason he’s a ‘troll’ is because the automatic response of the far left is vicious attack. If they didn’t respond that way, he wouldn’t be any kind of troll-- just some guy talking about the problems with third wave feminism, loss of due process rights on college campuses, loss of free speech on college campuses.

Every time they do this, they emphasize his assessment of the far left is correct. How did Glenn Reynold put it about folks like those opposing Milo speaking- They have more faith in the idea of using force than in the force of their ideas.

But don’t worry, given the natural progression of government- it will always get bigger, our freedoms will always diminish. The left will get the oppressive nanny state government they seek. Milo is fighting a losing fight. Just as I am handing on a country to my descendants with less freedom than I enjoyed, you’ll be doing the same. Your progeny will have less freedom than you. Trump may delay it, but it is inevitable. Too many agencies, making too many regulations, just churning out more and more restrictions. Constantly seeing folks insisting anything they disagree with is ‘hate speech’. Just as on college campuses folks aren’t free to speak their mind, it will eventually migrate into society at large.

I don’t understand this Milo phenomena? Where did he come from and why is he suddenly so controversial?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.