UCC president insults Pope and Catholic Church

Statement of Rev. John Thomas, president of the UCC:

"With Christians around the world I join in praying for the newly elected Pope Benedict XVI that he may have the strength and wisdom sufficient for the leadership he is now called to exercise in the Catholic Church. Today as the conclave announces its decision, the offering of prayers for this new pontificate is the most appropriate response from other Christian leaders.

"Nevertheless, I acknowledge that I personally greet Cardinal Ratzinger’s selection with profound disappointment. Cardinal Ratzinger’s long tenure in the Vatican has been marked by a theological tone that is rigid, conservative and confrontational. The harsh treatment received by many gifted Catholic theologians over the years from the Cardinal’s Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith has been profoundly troubling. His interpretations of the ecumenical vision of Vatican II have been narrow and constrained, and he has persisted in describing the ecclesial status of non-Catholic churches in ways that have been insensitive and demeaning.

"To many of us who have watched his ministry during John Paul II’s papacy, [Ratzinger] has lacked the warm pastoral heart that is so central to the ministry of bishops, including the Bishop of Rome.

“In other times the Holy Spirit has surprised us with gifts and graces we could not have anticipated from new popes at the time of their election. I pray that there may be similar surprises in the coming weeks and months.”

Considering who it is coming from, I would take it as a compliment. Would you prefer that the leader of the UCC say: “I am pleased to express my euphoria at the fact the cardinals selected a person we can work with.”

What else to you expect from a man who makes this statement:

“Absolutely, the UCC extends an unequivocal welcome to SpongeBob,” the Rev. John H. Thomas, the UCC’s general minister and president
http://www.ucc.org/gifs/sponge1.jpg

…consider the source…

http://www.public-health.uiowa.edu/face/Images/PHOTO-66.jpg

Whats his problem is he thinking of converting ? :rolleyes:

The Catholic Church keeps choosing Catholic Popes and that really, really bugs some people.

[quote=VociMike]The Catholic Church keeps choosing Catholic Popes and that really, really bugs some people.
[/quote]

Well said!!! Many people seem surprised that the Holy Spirit would direct the Cardinals to elect a pope who was … well … CATHOLIC!

What the heck is UCC?

[quote=cestusdei]"To many of us who have watched his ministry during John Paul II’s papacy, [Ratzinger] has lacked the warm pastoral heart that is so central to the ministry of bishops, including the Bishop of Rome.
[/quote]

Aww, poor guy! He just wanted a pope that would make him feel good! :crying:

Jackman: the UCC is the United Church of Christ. Liberal Protestant denomination, big proponent of a social gospel.

It is so ecumenical to insult our Pope. What business is it of theirs who we elect? They don’t ask us to approve who they elect as their president or ordain to the ministry. If we commented on their leader like this they would be screaming to high heaven about Roman interference. I would end any ecumenical activity with the UCC. In fact I think I will at the local level.

[quote=Sgt Sweaters]Aww, poor guy! He just wanted a pope that would make him feel good! :crying:

Jackman: the UCC is the United Church of Christ. Liberal Protestant denomination, big proponent of a social gospel.
[/quote]

What’s a “social gospel” ?? :o

[quote=Little Mary]What’s a “social gospel” ?? :o
[/quote]

Every denomination includes a “social gospel.” It’s the idea that the church has a responsibility to servicing all the people’s of the world… to do corporal works of mercy, to assist the downtrodden. However, some denominations emphasize it INSTEAD of the faith. Many Protestants and liberal Catholics do this. I never understood why Protestants did it, because it basically posits an idea that good works alone merit salvation, which is totally the exact opposite of Luther and Calvin et. al. For us Catholics, it ignores the fact that Sanctifying Grace comes through faith in God and also practicing good works.

It’s not a bad thing so much, but the real problem is that these liberals do more than works of charity. Groups like the UCC and, especially, the Unitarians, actively support things that are completely contrary to Christian morality. Endorsing same-sex marriages is one notable example, though these Protestant ecclesial communities oftentimes even support Planned Parenthood!!!

[quote=RonWI]Considering who it is coming from, I would take it as a compliment. Would you prefer that the leader of the UCC say: “I am pleased to express my euphoria at the fact the cardinals selected a person we can work with.”
[/quote]

I think we should be grateful for his goodwill and prayers.

He could have been one of the “Whore of Babylon” folk, like Dave Hunt. He isn’t. Why can’t we be grateful, instead of finding fault ? ##

[quote=JackmanUSC]What the heck is UCC?
[/quote]

The United Church of Christ

His position isn’t that far from the “whore of babylon” folk. Same idea in a 21st century context and language. He can keep his prayers. I don’t think we have the same God.

Gottle, who is Dave Hunt?

I always want to ask,“With respect, what does it matter to you?”, when hit up by the lapsed Catholic or a Protestant about Pope Benedict. My southern grandfather, a Southern Baptist deacon (88), said that lots of people would leave the Catholic Church if the cardinals elected “that African.” I said,“You mean Cardinal Arinze???” “Yup, that’s the one!” I was so flabbergasted I didn’t know what to say…and as you all know, that doesn’t happen all that much!:smiley: I’ve heard others say things to the effect that the Church will die out…as if!

[quote=cestusdei]His position isn’t that far from the “whore of babylon” folk. Same idea in a 21st century context and language. He can keep his prayers. I don’t think we have the same God.
[/quote]

Are you showing your ignorance, or just being a jerk? The baptism of the UCC is recognized by the Catholic Church, and assuming that his baptism was performed properly (and the Church’s assumption would be that it was), he is a fellow Christian, and a member, through his sacramental baptism, of the Catholic Church, although not in full membership.

[quote=JKirkLVNV]I always want to ask,“With respect, what does it matter to you?”, when hit up by the lapsed Catholic or a Protestant about Pope Benedict. My southern grandfather, a Southern Baptist deacon (88), said that lots of people would leave the Catholic Church if the cardinals elected “that African.” I said,“You mean Cardinal Arinze???” “Yup, that’s the one!” I was so flabbergasted I didn’t know what to say…and as you all know, that doesn’t happen all that much!:smiley: I’ve heard others say things to the effect that the Church will die out…as if!
[/quote]

Sounds like your Grandpa is slightly prejudiced. Not that he has a corner on the market; I find it (racial prejudice) alive and well all over.

otm,
Actually some are now baptizing using Creator, Redeemer, and Sanctifier. I always ask to make sure. But even if they use the terminology, as Mormons do, do they mean what we mean? In the Mormon case no and therefore their baptism is invalid. The UCC seems to be moving in that direction. Really. Read what this guy says on the election of our new pope. Does he sound like he honestly wants good relations with us? I don’t think so. I would rather have an honest fundamentalist who is upfront about hating us then this kind of smarmy insult from a fundamentalist liberal.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.