UCSB Professor Accused of Assaulting Anti-Abortion Activist

Santa Barbara Independent:

UCSB Professor Accused of Assaulting Anti-Abortion Activist

An anti-abortion ministry known for its aggressive and controversial outreach work is pursuing criminal charges against a UC Santa Barbara professor, who allegedly stole one of its banners, assaulted one of its members, then helped destroy the banner during a confrontation on campus last Tuesday. The UCSB police department is investigating the incident.

According to 21-year-old Joan Short — a student at Thomas Aquinas College and a member of the Christian pro-life group Survivors of the Abortion Holocaust — she, her 16-year-old sister Thrin, and 11 other Survivors had set up three large signs in an area of campus heavy with foot traffic called the Arbor. The banners, along with literature the activists handed out, displayed graphic imagery of late-term abortions that Joan said was intended to “begin conversations” with passing students.
Joan said that at around 11 a.m., Dr. Mireille Miller-Young — an associate professor with UCSB’s Feminist Studies Department — approached the demonstration site and exchanged heated words with the group, taking issue with their pro-life proselytizing and use of disturbing photographs. Joan claimed Miller-Young, accompanied by a few of her students, led the gathering crowd in a chant of “Tear down the sign! Tear down the sign!” before grabbing one of the banners and walking with it across campus.

Here’s a follow-up story in which the prof justifies her actions:

In the report, Miller-Young, who is pregnant, said she was “triggered” by the graphic images of aborted fetuses on the large posters and said she felt the demonstrators didn’t have a right to be on the university’s campus, because their messages were upsetting to her and students. When asked by police if there had been a struggle between her and the activists when she took the poster, Miller-Young responded, “I’m stronger, so I was able to take the poster.”

Gee, I’m sure lots of things “trigger” lots of folks. Most of us manage to control ourselves.

There’s also this part:

Joan said she called 9-1-1 and Thrin started filming, and that the pair followed Miller-Young and two of her students — who Joan referred to as “the fugitives” — into nearby South Hall. As Miller-Young and the students boarded an elevator, Joan said that Thrin repeatedly blocked the door with her hand and foot and that Miller-Young continually pushed her back. Miller-Young then exited the elevator and tried to yank Thrin away from the door while the students attempted to take her smartphone. “As Thrin tried to get away, the professor’s fingernails left bloody scratches on her arms,” Joan claimed. The struggle ended when Thrin relented, Miller-Young walked off, the students rode up in the elevator, and officers arrived to interview those involved.

It seems like an unwise idea for them to have chased “the fugitives” and the blocked their movements. If they had them on camera to show the police, that should have been good enough.

The professor acted crudely, unprofessionally and perhaps even illegally if these accusations are true. But really, what do you expect is going to happen when you chase someone down and corner them?

Look at some of her “areas of study.” Geesh, some of the people they’ll give an education to nowadays!

A professor of “Feminist studies.”:rolleyes:

Our society is really deteriorating rapidly.

Already posted:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=866635

Makes sense, you’re pro-life and love God, but then you confront a pregnant woman:confused:

Discernment, people, discernment. This is one occasion where someone should have said, what would Jesus do.

Jesus would have looked at her belly, ask how she about felt about her “choice,”

ask when she felt the baby had a life of its own,

ask why she didn’t adopt an unwanted baby instead of having her own,

and then he would have held her while she wept.

But we are not Jesus.

I understand hormonal indignation when pregnant.

To say “she and her students” were “offended” is why she acted violently…well, there were better ways to have handled it administratively.

I am offended by her beliefs, and that cesspool of garbage she pretends is worthy of teaching her students. Does that grant me license to beat her up then?

Of course it doesn’t. She is simply too immature to admit that her actions were unjustifiable.

I am sympathetic to people who are are provoked into a reaction, but in her case, she already has such a despicable worldview that it tempers my sympathy.

Well, let me also put myself in her shoes.

After advocating abortion for years, she is pregnant. She chooses to have the baby. Then she sees images of dead babies (no longer fetal tissue because the baby in my tummy is a PERSON to her).

She sees images of dead babies and can’t reconcile her former values, based on a skewed ideology, with what she is seeing.

A pregnant pro abortionist sees images that remind her of baby and knowing that killing it would be legal, but morally wrong.

It reminds me of when St. Peregrine hit the visiting priests with stones. It took time to think of that confrontation for him to ask, “What the hell am I doing?”

Pray for her conversion. This realization has to be rocking her world. Add pregnancy hormones and she is a mess.

I was pro choice. Then I was married and diagnosed with infertility. My friend and I meant to go to the book fair, but ran into the March for Womens’ Lives, a perfectly pro abortion march. I naively tagged along with my friend.

Some Dr. asked random folks if she wanted them to write a script for Plan B. (Can you tell it was a while ago?)

I told her that I was diagnosed infertile, but it must BE NICE TO HAVE A CHOICE.

Yep. Then I saw a middle of the road sign that said, “adoption is an option.” I asked other folks about this, and I heard, “Although we have solidarity in our pro abortion stance, I’m not having a baby for you of you can’t have one.” How selfish can one be?

That cemented it for me. A life is a life.

I now have four miracle babies, two living (Thank you JPii, Fulton Sheen, and MTeresa).

Father Pavone said, “America won’t reject abortion until it sees abortion.” While I think there is a time and a place to display graphic images, the effect is visceral and immediate, especially to pro abortion pregnant women. We need to prepare for that type of emotional conflict in the people we meet of involved with such ministry.

I am not excusing her actions. I’m saying she acted in a violent way commensurate with her amount of guilt.

‘Methinks the professor doth protest too much.’

[quote=Miserissima] Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyCatholic01

I am offended by her beliefs, and that cesspool of garbage she pretends is worthy of teaching her students. Does that grant me license to beat her up then?

Of course it doesn’t. She is simply too immature to admit that her actions were unjustifiable.

I am sympathetic to people who are are provoked into a reaction, but in her case, she already has such a despicable worldview that it tempers my sympathy.

I am not excusing her actions. I’m saying she acted in a violent way commensurate with her amount of guilt.

‘Methinks the professor doth protest too much.’
[/quote]

I agree completely and do pray for her. This amount of anger and sadness belies something much deeper that she obviously will not admit.

Posted from Catholic.com App for Android

What amount of anger and sadness was needed to follow her like a bloodhound, corner her and bar her movement?

If you steal something of mine, I certainly have every right to follow you to attempt to regain property that rightfully belongs to me.

Blah. We’re not talking about a car here, it was a poster.

If someone tears up my poster, I’d like to think there’s 100 things I would do before calling 911 and then chasing someone and cornering them to set up a violent confrontation. And if I felt compelled to do 1 of the 2, it would be 911 first.

Then how come the professor is facing arrest for theft? Property is property and people have the right to defend their property.

If someone tears up my poster, I’d like to think there’s 100 things I would do before calling 911 and then chasing someone and cornering them to set up a violent confrontation. And if I felt compelled to do 1 of the 2, it would be 911 first.

There were two principles being violated here, freedom of speech and the right to private property. Both of those rights are worth fighting for.

Charges have been filed.

keyt.com/news/charges-filed-against-ucsb-abortion-professor/25090390

Theft? Yes.
Grand larceny? Certainly not. :wink:

I read the professor’s CV. I can see how images of abortion would be no less than disturbing. She obviously has promoted it for years.

Did the group act appropriately? I’m not sure. Cornering the professor its not the best way to win her heart.

No doubt that those pictures struck a nerve.

I wish more pro abortion folks could watch the ultrasounds of an actual abortion. If the fetus feels no pain, why wiggle away from the, probe? And the third trimester video is what they need to see. A full sized baby being killed.

I’m not a fan of these shock video tactics unless they’re shown in the right place at the right time.

This professor is facing a crisis of values here: is her baby a baby just because it’s wanted? Is abortion just rebellion against "the man?

Criminal charges for theft are the least of her worries. I hope and pray for an Abby Johnson type of conversion here. I hope every student she influenced to kill a life comes to her mind, with the images of any dead babies that were the product of her “professing.”

I’m glad you all follow Jesus. Didn’t he say something about loving your enemies and turning the other cheek?

I know we only take the Bible literally when it says to stone the homosexuals.

You teach by example not by words.

The Church also defends the right to private property. Are you saying that people should not be arrested for theft?

“you all?” or “we all do,” as in “us?”

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.