UCSB Professor Accused of Assaulting Anti-Abortion Activist

“you all?” or “we all do,” as in “us?”

0 Likes

I think that people should be arrested for theft and vandalism.

I don’t think that people who:

1. Are the victims of very minor theft and vandalism, and:
  2. Have the perpetrators on camera, and thus,
  3. Can let the police handle it, should:
  4. Aggressively track down the perpetrators, barring their movement and bringing on a violent confrontation.

Why escalate a situation to violence when the police can handle it non-violently?

0 Likes

And the good news is that she was.

I don’t think that people who:

1. Are the victims of very minor theft and vandalism, and:
  2. Have the perpetrators on camera, and thus,
  3. Can let the police handle it, should:
  4. Aggressively track down the perpetrators, barring their movement and bringing on a violent confrontation.

Why escalate a situation to violence when the police can handle it non-violently?

Here is the reason why it needed to be escalated. University administrations love to sweep these kinds of things under the rug. The only way to get a university administrator to take action is to publicly embarrass them. If the confrontation was not filmed for all to see, this very easily could have been forgotten about.

0 Likes

Good. Although I have to say having spent a good 30 years previously in CA, I’m pretty surprised that she was actually charged.

0 Likes

Apparently some who think that there is a “right” to abortion also think that there is no right to freedom of expression or freedom of speech or freedom of assembly. This is incredibly sad and what this person did is unconstitutional.

I would also say that the pro-life protestors had every right to be there. Hopefully they reached some people with their message who, if they are pro-abortion, will repent and become pro-life. Hopefully also this woman’s incredibly stupid violence will convince people that yes, pro-abortion violence does occur. Unfortunately there are many people who are deceived by Satan into believing that the pro-abortion crowd is completely innocent while those of the pro-life crowd are extremists, evil, and violent. :frowning:

That said, I hope the pro-life group wins their lawsuit. Justice needs to be served.

0 Likes

My wife came up with this - according to the police report, this woman was pregnant and said she was soon going to have a test for Down Syndrome. Only one reason to have that test. So, she was probably going to kill her baby if he/she had Downs. These girls confronted her with the reality of her choice.

0 Likes

Two reasons for the test : abortion or planning for health care / learning how to parent a DS child.

I could easily be mean and guess the former, but must, out of charity, consider the latter.

I can’t bring myself to vilify a woman who has made a very public (minor) crime because she had to face herself, as moments of crisis can bring about the most profound conversions.

0 Likes

I don’t think it’s being mean to assume a profoundly pro abortion person would contemplate abortion. I understand the other reason, but, frankly, researchers say that 92% of babies found to have Downs are aborted.

If I told you that someone was convicted of robbery, vandalism, and assault, would you say they were minor crimes?

0 Likes

I think that the crimes were not minor, particularly when considering their context. Universities are supposed to be institutions where free speech is particularly sacred. She clearly violated these individuals rights. What I would really hope is that she would get some significant sanction from her employer. But in my experience, university administrators are loathe to discipline people if they think the person being disciplined might scream discrimination.

0 Likes

Depending on the state, there are varying degrees.

I’m not arguing that point, and I don’t think she’ll get convicted if her attorney plays the, “she was scared and trapped” card.

0 Likes

Maybe she ate a twinky and that forced her to steal the sign.

0 Likes

Scared and trapped, so she stole the sign, the sign that was troubling her so much? Instead of running away from it, she took it with her? :shrug:

I think that she’ll plead to one of the counts and that will be that. and then UCSB will do nothing. Pretty hard for her, though, since she admitted to all three charges.

0 Likes

closed #33
0 Likes

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.