Uganda passes tough new anti-homosexuality bill

[LEFT]From France 24Ugandan lawmakers on Friday passed an anti-gay bill that calls for life imprisonment for certain homosexual acts, drawing criticism from rights campaigners who called it “the worst in the world”.

The legislations sets life imprisonment as the penalty for gay sex involving an HIV-infected person, acts with minors and the disabled, as well as repeated sex offences among consenting adults, according to the office of a spokeswoman for Uganda’s parliament.

The bill also prescribes a seven-year jail term for a person who “conducts a marriage ceremony” for same-sex couples.

(remainder snipped)

St Thomas Aquinas on the subject (S Th II-II-154-11):As stated above (A6,9) wherever there occurs a special kind of deformity whereby the venereal act is rendered unbecoming, there is a determinate species of lust. This may occur in two ways: First, through being contrary to right reason, and this is common to all lustful vices; secondly, because, in addition, **it is contrary to the natural order of the venereal act as becoming to the human race: and this is called “the unnatural vice.” **This may happen in several ways. First, by procuring pollution, without any copulation, for the sake of venereal pleasure: this pertains to the sin of “uncleanness” which some call “effeminacy.” Secondly, by copulation with a thing of undue species, and this is called “bestiality.” Thirdly, by copulation with an undue sex, male with male, or female with female, as the Apostle states (Romans 1:27): and this is called the “vice of sodomy.” Fourthly, by not observing the natural manner of copulation, either as to undue means, or as to other monstrous and bestial manners of copulation.
He then identifies “unnatural vice” as being inherently the most grievous (S Th II-II-154-12):In every genus, worst of all is the corruption of the principle on which the rest depend. Now the principles of reason are those things that are according to nature, because reason presupposes things as determined by nature, before disposing of other things according as it is fitting. This may be observed both in speculative and in practical matters. Wherefore just as in speculative matters the most grievous and shameful error is that which is about things the knowledge of which is naturally bestowed on man, so in matters of action it is most grave and shameful to act against things as determined by nature. Therefore, since by the unnatural vices man transgresses that which has been determined by nature with regard to the use of venereal actions, it follows that in this matter this sin is gravest of all. After it comes incest, which, as stated above (Article 9), is contrary to the natural respect which we owe persons related to us.

With regard to the other species of lust they imply a transgression merely of that which is determined by right reason, on the presupposition, however, of natural principles. Now it is more against reason to make use of the venereal act not only with prejudice to the future offspring, but also so as to injure another person besides. Wherefore simple fornication, which is committed without injustice to another person, is the least grave among the species of lust. Then, it is a greater injustice to have intercourse with a woman who is subject to another’s authority as regards the act of generation, than as regards merely her guardianship. Wherefore adultery is more grievous than seduction. And both of these are aggravated by the use of violence. Hence rape of a virgin is graver than seduction, and rape of a wife than adultery. And all these are aggravated by coming under the head of sacrilege, as stated above (10, ad 2).
So he actually identifies unnatural sex as being more grievous than adultery, rape, or even incest.

As for whether it should be criminalized or not, he states in S. Th. II-I-96-2:…Now human law is framed for a number of human beings, the majority of whom are not perfect in virtue. Wherefore human laws do not forbid all vices, from which the virtuous abstain, but only the more grievous vices, from which it is possible for the majority to abstain; and chiefly those that are to the hurt of others, without the prohibition of which human society could not be maintained: thus human law prohibits murder, theft and such like.
So apparently, in St Thomas Aquinas’ view, since “unnatural sex” (incl., sodomy and bestiality) is the most grievous sin in the genus of lust, it should be proscribed by law.

*(But having said that, it also appears that he takes a particularly dim view of masturbation, classing it in the category of “unnatural vice”…so it, likely, should be proscribed, as well)

[/LEFT]

There is hope when the Truth is still professed somewhere in the world. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Not sure if St. Thomas Aquinas intended his scholarly work to be quoted in this context, but all the same - good for Uganda. :smiley:

The battle is not lost. :slight_smile:

You all support imprisoning people for homosexuality and sodomy? Am I honestly reading this right? This is your version of upholding traditional values?

The battle is not lost.

Hmm… what battle would that be I wonder?

The batlle of relligious terror and oppression, against Universal Human Rights and Freedoms (the ones stated in the Declaration Of Human Rights), the battle against Nature itself, Science and Humanity?

The new law that was pushed with the help of American Christian Neo Nazi Scott Lively basically puts gay people behind bars for life AND it also requires any person who knows that this or that man or woman is gay to tell authorities , or otherwise face prison sentense as well.(!!)

Now where was it like this the last time? 1940s in a certain country far far away I think.

Christians whine of oppression in Islamic countries where they are killed and jailed but when christians come into power they do exactly the same to people who do not belong to their cult and do not share their values. Mass hysteria caused by Christian priests
in Uganda has already lead to spikes in violence agaisnt LGBT community resuting in tortures, killings correctional rapes and whanot.
This law will make it even worse.

Well this thread and rejoicing expressed by catholics says it all, really.

Disgusting.

I guess we should enact exactly the same law here, in America only against Catholics. Why not? If they feel its OK to do this with the ones who do not belong to their cult and do not share their views on “sins”, if the feel that The Universal Declaration Of Human Rights should not be applied to certain social groups based on their beliefs then why not?

Desperate poverty all around them, half the population without sanitation, inability to keep the peace in the countryside - I suppose that imprisoning gays and lesbians at least gives the Ugandan parliament something it can achieve.

A perfect scapegoat.

I mean, cmon, they cant use Jews in this role cant they? :smiley:

What’s more. It WILL cause AIDS epidemic as well. gays wont be able to get a proper consultation and professinal help because the doctors would be forced by the law to report them to authorities.
Although in Africa it is mostly through heterosexual acts perople get infected. Ironically.

Is your understanding of “Truth” that which imprisons people - potentially for life - because of sexual sin?

After the IDF’s famous raid on Entebbe, I expect they’d avoid that. The expulsion of Uganda’s Asian population by the great Ugandan statesman Idi Amin further reduced the potential target list.

If that is the idea of Truth we seem to have here, then we do not worship the same God.

This. If the understanding of “Truth” is the one that punishes people for loving who they are, then we don’t worship the same God, frankly.

This is when I find CAF most frightening. Championing the imprisonment of homosexuals is beyond the pale.

Amen, Amen, Marilyn. There is much to pray for here.

Exactly. Again, I don’t know if this draconian forum and I worship the same God anymore. Seriously, if your God wants homosexuals imprisoned, then there’s no need for Jesus Christ. He could deal with the sin of the world on His own without the need for a Son and Christianity means nothing.

Jesus Christ is God.

Which is unabashedly true. However, I’m saying that if God out there somehow condones the imprisonment of people for immutable characteristics with the idea that those alone constitute sin, then God the Father alone could’ve wiped out sin by himself, making the second person of the Most Holy Trinity’s sacrifice and life unnecessary.

Come on guys. There is opposing sexual sin, and then there is going into a wild rage of hatred and mandating that all gays be rounded up and thrown in jail to fend for themselves, and while you’re at it, jailing everyone who protects them from the government trying to round them up.

Anyone who supports this bill is committing an atrocious act. I’m sorry. There is no love/charity in this bill, and if anyone else wants to sacrifice one of their CORE VIRTUES just to get back at “the gays,” then you can go ahead, but I won’t join in your torchbearing crowd.

Remember: faith without charity is dead.

you bet! Look at how God deals with these kinds of things, he destroyed 2 entire towns over these kinds of sins (Sodom and Gomorrah), but we do not have that kind of power, so have to use what we have to work with…jail for life works for me…Good for them!

I bet they wont have any problems with the homosexual community!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.