Uganda priest ostracized for publicizing sexual abuse

latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-africa-catholic-abuse-20130505,0,4578310.story

The Catholic Church suspends Anthony Musaala indefinitely for shining a light on what he calls an open secret: Sex abuse is a problem in Africa too.

I find this news very sad.

Why have the church not investigated further?

Ugh. . . .

Please God let the African Church handle this better than the US.

Here is the letter that got him suspended.

And the Arch Bishop’s response to the letter.

Apparently little has been learned from the US experience. Retribution against those perceived as whistleblowers has negative connotations.

After reading both the letter and the reply, it appears to me the priest isn’t so much a whistleblower as someone seeking revenge against the Church. He released this letter after he was reported for alleged sexual impropriaties himself.

It does seem like he has an axe to grind and that he is pushing an agenda of sorts.

Shocking that the LA Times would neglect to mention that part, isn’t it?

::snort::

This is a complex matter.

Contrary to Father Musaala’s letter, there are many priests and bishops in Africa who are faithful and true to the Church’s teaching on celibacy. Many have dedicated their lives completely to God and maintained their vows and promises.

Abuse is always wrong, under any circumstances. Fr Musaala appears to claim in his letter that allowing married clergy as a norm in the church would make possible cases of abuse become non-existent. Marriage does not cure a person’s serious problems and tendencies to abuse others. Just ask anyone who has been abused by a marriage partner. These two matters are actually unrelated.

Please pray for us in Africa, that we may remember that we are first of all children of God and Catholics, before anything else that our cultures would enforce on us. There are a number of entrenched cultural practices and ideas that are contrary to the Gospel, especially concerning the gift of sexuality.

One thing about this LA TImes account.

We need to always remember the guidance from Abp Chaput.:[INDENT][INDENT]We make a very serious mistake if we rely on media like the New York Times**, Newsweek, CNN, or MSNBC for reliable news about religion. These news media simply don’t provide trustworthy information about religious faith—and sometimes they *can’t *provide it, either because of limited resources or because of their own editorial prejudices. These are secular operations focused on making a profit. They have very little sympathy for the Catholic faith, and quite a lot of aggressive skepticism toward any religious community that claims to preach and teach God’s truth.
[/INDENT][/INDENT]Any time we read about the Church in the MSM, we need to look at it with a very jaded eye.

IMHO.

Not to mention attempting to contravene the legitimate orders of his superiors by attemtping to set up a ‘forum’ without permission.

One thing strikes me about the bishop’s letter: it says that the investigation will be initiated against the author of the letter… but not against the priests that he accuses of abuse.

I think I’ve seen that before.

Are you sure? He says that investigations about the allegations are to take place immediately. Which of course is mandated by canon law. It’s in the second paragraph.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.