UK 'blocked bomb plotter' arrest

About a month before the July 7 bombings in London, British authorities balked at giving U.S. officials permission to apprehend a man now believed to have ties to the bombers, according to sources familiar with the investigation.

cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/07/28/london.tube/index.html

well, doesn’t someone (or alot of someones) feel stupid!

How gratifying for you all! :slight_smile:

Also, it’s a patch out of date isn’t it? All four suspects for July 21 attempt are in custody and they’re banging on about how they need to be apprehended. I checked a couple of other stories on topics I know something about and I would say CNN is at best unreliable.

If true it would be typical - hand over innocent bankers to weeks in jail awaiting an unfair trial without any way to prepare their defense, abandon an innocent Scotsman to the death penalty after a joke of a trial - but refuse to hand over a terrorist.

I saw a report on this on Fox News late yesterday morning. I don’t remember all the details but will try to go with what I can remember.

The US has been after this guy since the late nineties and the Brits have blocked his arrest on not one, but several occasions. Seems that he worked for MI5 after convincing them that he was a double agent and that’s why they didn’t want him arrested. He sure pulled the wool over their eyes and kept it there for a long time. This person’s superior was arrested in England (I don’t remember why) and one of his subordinates was arrested in Oregon, I think, for planning to set up a terrorist training camp in the US, yet this individual remained untouchable until after the recent bombings. I haven’t checked Fox’s web site today to see if anything on this story has been posted there yet. There does appear to be some truth to it, though.

This seems to have been hurriedly swept under the carpet. Anyone heard anything else on it?

I haven’t heard anything, I’ve had a dig around the BBC site and can’t find anything there either.

See this thread for additional info and continuing discussion:

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=67157

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.