UK: Churches to be Forced to Hire Actively Homosexual Youth Workers?

[quote=Catholic.org]UK: Churches to be Forced to Hire Actively Homosexual Youth Workers?
By Hilary White
5/23/2009
LifeSiteNews (www.lifesitenews.com)

The bill allows a ‘religious exemption’ only for those who conduct liturgical celebrations or teach doctrine.

Advertisement
LONDON (LifeSiteNews.com) - British churches will be forced to accept practicing homosexuals or “transsexuals” in positions as youth workers and similar roles, under upcoming equality legislation, the government has said. The Labour government’s Equality Bill will prohibit churches from refusing to hire active homosexuals even if their religion holds such behavior to be sinful, said deputy equalities minister Maria Eagle.
[/quote]

Continued here.

So those without doctrine or liturgy will be hurt?

God Bless.

Chris.

I don’t have a very good understanding of UK law, but it appears that the Equality Bill’s religious exemption applies only to jobs which involve teaching doctrine or leading a religious celebration.

1. Where employment is for purposes of an organised religion, this paragraph allows the employer to apply a requirement to be of a particular sex, not to be a transsexual person or make a requirement related to the employee’s marriage, civil partnership or sexual orientation, but only if –

– appointing a person who meets the requirement in question is a proportionate way of complying with the doctrines of the religion; or,

– because of the nature or context of the employment, employing a person who does not meet the requirement would conflict with a significant number of the religion’s followers’ strongly held religious convictions.

1. The requirement must be crucial to the post, and not merely one of several important factors. It also must not be a sham or pretext. The application of the requirement must be a proportionate way of complying with the doctrines of the religion or of avoiding such a conflict.
  1. Employment can only be classified as for purposes of an organised religion if the employment wholly or mainly involves promoting or explaining the doctrines of the religion or leading or assisting in the observation of religious practices or ceremonies.
  1. The requirement can also be applied by a qualifications body in relation to a relevant qualification (within the meaning of clause 50), if employment is for the purposes of an organised religion and either of the above criteria are met and the employment is for the purposes of organised religion as defined above.

Background
747. This specific exception applies to a very narrow range of circumstances. It replaces and harmonises exceptions contained in current discrimination law but makes it clear that the employment in question must be closely related to the religious purposes of the organisation. Applying the requirement must be a proportionate way of meeting either of the criteria described in paragraph 742 above.

{I’m skipping sub-sections 1 - 7}

(8) Employment is for the purposes of an organised religion only if the
employment wholly or mainly involves –
(a) leading or assisting in the observation of liturgical or ritualistic
practices of the religion, or
(b) promoting or explaining the doctrine of the religion (whether to
followers of the religion or to others).

Example
– This exception would apply to a requirement that a Catholic priest be a man.

– This exception would not apply to a requirement that a church youth worker or
accountant be heterosexual.

publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200809/cmbills/085/volii/2009085ii.pdf

It appears that theyr’e saying that religious freedoms only count in the actual worship service, not in any other part of human life, or the church’s life. So forget about living your faith, if your faith teaches something different than your state “religion”, otherwise known as civil rights laws, then you are expected to follow the state morals.

Disgusting! Just plain disgusting! :mad: What is our world coming to? :frowning: Lord have mercy on us! :signofcross:

unfortunately once the powers that be over here get wind of this we can expect that the british example is just a coming attraction.

As it was wanted before, the church to be seperate from the state, now it’s the state trying to integrate it’s way into the church. Such a sad day. :frowning:

God Bless.

Chris.

Chris, I just discovered (and perhaps others have missed it, too) that the Spirituality forum has a lengthy thread about this topic:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=5242900#post5242900

“In our time more than ever before,** the chief strength of the wicked, lies in the cowardice and weakness of good men… All the strength of Satan’s reign is due to the easy-going weakness of Catholics**. Oh! if I might ask the Divine Redeemer, as the prophet Zachary did in spirit: What are those wounds in the midst of Thy hands? The answer would not be doubtful: With these was I wounded in the house of them that loved Me. I was wounded by My friends, who did nothing to defend Me, and who, on every occasion, made themselves the accomplices of My adversaries. And this reproach can be leveled at the weak and timid Catholics of all countries.”

Pope St. Pius X, Discourse at the Beatification of St. Joan of Arc, Dec. 13, 1908"

Thanks for the heads up.

God Bless.

Chris.

Catholic Churches?:frighten:

It is likely that the U.S. will have this kind of legislation proposed in states where same sex marriage and/or the inclusion of homosexuality and transsexuality in anti-discrimination laws has been enacted. To some extent, such results have already occurred. Because MA approved same sex marriage, Catholic Charities in MA had to end its adoption program after it refused to place children with same sex couples. A Christian photographer in New Mexico who, for personal religious reasons, turned down a job photographing a lesbian wedding had to pay a $7,000 settlement after they brought a civil rrights case against him. Religious freedom was ruled not a dfense for a physician who, for religious reasons, refused to artificially inseminate a lesbian patient, even though he offered to refer her to another physician who would do it. In Canada, a Catholic Bishop is being investigated by a human rights commission for sending a letter to be read in the parishes of his diocese stating that same sex relationships are morrally wrong. The average person does not understand the profound legal and social implications of approving same sex marriage.

It is high time we make a decision on whether to obey God’s law or Man’s law when Man’s law goes against God’s Law.

As far as these “decisions” and “laws” go, the do not have any legitimacy or validity since they go against God’s Law.

How so? Doesn’t the Catholic Church teach that we shouldn’t discriminate against homosexuals? Is the hiring of a gay accountant really against God’s Law?

Yes, the British government is now taking a cue from the Communist Chinese: “You can believe whatever superstitious nonsense you want to, as long as you understand and acknowledge that we have the real power, that we control your churches, and that you will do exactly what we tell you to do.”

We should expect this. After all, it was Our Lord Himself Who told us this.

**“You must be on your guard. You will be handed over to the local councils and flogged in the synagogues. On account of me you will stand before governors and kings as witnesses to them. Brother will betray brother to death, and a father his child. Children will rebel against their parents and have them put to death. All men will hate you because of Me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved.” (Mark 13:9, 12-13)

“If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated Me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you. Remember the words I spoke to you: ‘No servant is greater than his master.’ If they persecuted Me, they will persecute you also. They will treat you this way because of My Name, for they do not know the One who sent Me.” (John 15:18-21)**

The Catholic Church teaches that there should be no UNJUST discrimination against someone with same sex attraction. To force a church that teaches that homosexual acts are gravely wrong and disordered to hire an openly “gay” youth minister (who is open about actively engaging in such acts) is a violation of religious freedom because the youth minister is modeling behavior that violates church teaching. It would be like forcing the church (or the NAACP) to hire a member of the KuKluxKlan.

I wonder if they will try to apply this law to Muslims. If they try, things will quickly spin out of control.

I agree with you.

The religious exemption in the UK bill specifically mentions accountants and youth leaders. Yet it seems the roles and responsibilities of the two positions are very different. I think it is very reasonable for a youth leader be required to model proper Catholic behavior, just as many Catholic schools require their teachers to adhere to Catholic teachings. I’m not sure that accountants should be held to the same standard, though.

How did they ever manage to create an empire? Don’t they realize they are putting the rats in charge of the cheese? Pax Christi

I think there is a religious freedom violation in forcing a religious organization to hire anyone who openly opposes that religion’s teaching, whether it is an accountant, a secretary or a maintenance person. There is the problem of seeming to publicly condone the person’s behavior or views. Again, substitute an “active KKK” employee for “active gay” and see whether it seems appropriate. The decision about whether employing someone whose presence in a religious institution may cause confusion and scandal belongs to the religious institution, not the government.

Because when the British Empire was created, piety and faith were still virtues.
Those were the days, where Britain was a light that shone for all mankind. No more :frowning:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.