UK City Councilman Seeking Crackdown on Street Preachers: It Is ‘Improper’ to ‘Talk About Morality’

MANCHESTER, England — A city councilman in the U.K. who is seeking to crack down on street preachers, buskers and those who engage in commerce in the public streets says that preachers are wrong to talk about morality in the open air and to make their hearers feel “insecure” with their preaching.

The Christian Institute reports that Manchester Councillor Pat Karney made the comment after the organization asked him to clarify whether the city council plans to place restrictions on street preachers as part of his goal to reduce public “nuisances.”

“The Christian Institute has long supported the rights of street preachers and has funded several legal cases where local authorities or the police have unlawfully interfered with those rights,” the organization wrote in a letter to Karney.

christiannews.net/2015/08/23/uk-city-councilman-seeking-crackdown-on-street-preachers-it-is-improper-to-talk-about-morality/

It’s always good news when somebody in a high up position wants to stop something like this.

When Pope Paul VI was Archbishop of Milan and aggressively outreaching in his diocese, after months of relative silence from the opposition, a leader of the communist party (the dominant party in northern Italy at the time) finally spoke up and started publicly decrying him. The archbishop responded to the news with, “I was starting to get worried.”

:thumbsup: Thanks for that.

Matthew 5:10 Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 Blessed are you when they **insult **you and persecute you and utter every kind of evil against you (falsely) because of me.

12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward will be great in heaven. Thus they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

13 "You are the salt of the earth. But if salt loses its taste, with what can it be seasoned? It is no longer good for anything but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.

14 You are the light of the world. A city set on a mountain cannot be hidden.

15 Nor do they light a lamp and then put it under a bushel basket; it is set on a lampstand, where it gives light to all in the house.

16 Just so, your light must shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your heavenly Father.

bolding within the scriptures is my emphasis.

To be honest, outlawing street preachers because they might make people feel insecure sounds fictional to me. I don’t mean I don’t think it happened, just that it sounds like it comes out of some 20th-century science fiction.

Why the heck do people need to be protected from feeling insecure? I’m just assuming that that is the councilman’s euphemism for being convicted in their hearts of personal sin. We wouldn’t want anyone to feel bad about sinning.

Sheesh. :slight_smile:

–Jen

This is called a self-refuting position given that his claim that it is “improper” to talk about morality in public is, itself, talking about morality in public in a manner that would make others – at the very least, the street preachers – feel insecure.

Seems hypocritical for him to denounce others for doing EXACTLY what he is doing in denouncing them.

Perhaps the UK councilman ought to be given a lesson on what the basis is for much of the law within the UK; it wasn’t just pulled out of the imagination of those many generations of inhabitants.

Absolutey “WRONG " to preach!I NOT! I am hurting like hell as I was forced off a forum I was enjoying when some cyberbully accused me of that… Bland is the PC world, tasteless, ( thanks for this thread as it is helping me calm down… was accused of being " over zealous” as after all the attacker is Christian. No I was not preaching but clearly living my faith…choosing to spend my money on food for babies rather than on expensive cars and other stuff… dare to be different and get shot down… preach on!

right on!

This tread brings to mind these delightful little scamps.

From the local news paper… christian.org.uk/news/police-to-crack-down-on-street-preachers-in-manchester/

But UK preacher Mike Overd was declared guilty earlier this year of violating the Public Order Act for citing Levitical law in speaking against homosexuality and for denouncing the Islamic religion on the streets. He was fined 1,400 British pounds, part of which is be given to the man to whom Overd quoted Leviticus 20:13.
“It’s [come down to] now going through the Bible, saying that some parts shouldn’t be spoken about and might cause emotional harm,” Libby Towell of the Christian Legal Centre said following the ruling.

Looks like my town has got a fight on its hands now. Christians are next on the persecution list I see.

It seems to be that the only people who might feel “insecure” are those who already think they are doing something wrong. Everyone else might either feel angry or just roll their eyes and move on.

I think its a good idea if enforced fairly, like sure go after the loudmouth errant Christian preacher but don’t leave out the angry Islamic self-proclaimed sheikh either - the UK is overflowing with the latter in some neighborhoods.

You remembered this incident for 27 years?? Wow. I’m lucky if I remember news from last week. :slight_smile:

–Jen

I know I rather came down against this “crackdown” …

… but at least no one has gotten slugged (yet)!

youtube.com/watch?v=qse_wf57tZM

I did laugh at this clip from “Airplane” though. In my case it was a pro-nuclear person (whom I agreed with on much actually) who ardently engaged me – but I was in a hurry trying to catch my plane. Can’t remember him soliciting money or my info … but THAT was annoying. Wouldn’t take away that free speech though.

In the clip, Robert Stack is trying to get through the airport to respond to an emergency. But gets serial evangelized along the way - to his ever increasing enragement. :bigyikes:

The real life version of Jimmy Joe Jeter and the “Condos for Christ” ministry?!

For those of you younger than Methuselah, the above was a child character in the 1976 TV comedy “Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman” an evening time soap opera spoof.

imdb.com/character/ch0071833/

youtube.com/watch?v=UMgyfcG3J18 < No videos of “Jimmy Joe” could be found … but there’s one from the show featuring Dabney Coleman (Preacher Merle Jeter, Jimmy Joe’s father) where he decides to also run for mayor. Look into his eyes. :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.