UK ends hydroxychloroquine study trials because there's "no evidence of benefit," researchers say

Another disappointment for Dr. Trump? LOL

5 Likes

:rofl: what will he tweet now?

2 Likes

That it is unfair, of course.

dscath . . .

Another disappointment for Dr. Trump? LOL

I don’t understand why a therapeutic drug failure or even a PERCEIVED therapeutic drug failure, would be a “LOL”??

I wish all pharaceutical trials would be yield results that were helpful to patients.

JUNE 04, 2020

Trump critics used major study on hydroxychloroquine to attack him — the authors just retracted it

Trump critics used the study to pummel him

Photo: GEORGE FREY/AFP via Getty Images

CARLOS GARCIA

An influential study in the Lancet used to attack the president for recommending the use of hydroxychloroquine against coronavirus has been retracted after overwhelming criticism.

The editors of the publication explained on Thursday that the authors of the study could not obtain the dataset in the study in order for third-party reviewers to confirm the results.

The original study was published in the Lancet on March 22.

“Our independent peer reviewers informed us that Surgisphere would not transfer the full dataset, client contracts, and the full ISO audit report to their servers for analysis as such transfer would violate client agreements and confidentiality requirements,” the authors said in the retraction.

“As such, our reviewers were not able to conduct and independent and private peer review and therefore notified us of their withdrawal from the peer-review process,” they added. . . .

. . . On Wednesday, the World Health Organization said that it would resume international trial testing on the effectiveness of hydroxychloroquine after experts began publicly questioning the Lancet study. . . . .

@RidgeSprinter. Please post a link for your article.

Coutesy of Zzyzx_Road (here) . . .

Here’s another paper that was just retracted:
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2021225

Same source firm, Surgicide, as was implicated in the Lancet paper that was also retracted. The original paper was an attempt to clear a class of hypertension drugs that target ACE and ARB for use with Covid-19 patients. There were reasons to believe these drugs might actually worsen a Covid-19 infection due to how Covid-19 attacks cells.

1 Like

The only perception of it being therapeutic came from Trump. It was never viewed as a therapeutic drug for COVID except by Trump. And, his endorsement of using it off label “What do you have to lose?” needlessly endangered those taking his word for its safety and efficacy, not just as a therapeutic, but preventative medicine.

He also thought it injection of bleach or internal UV light therapy might be a good idea.

That’s why we leave drug evaluations to the FDA and not the President.

3 Likes

dscath . . .

It was never viewed as a therapeutic drug for COVID except by Dr. Trump.

Aside from the fact that you are wrong (I have put up information from India that THEY view it as a therapeutic drug for corona virus),
WHY “LOL” at a failed patient-help trial?

I just don’t get it.

The correct assumption would be, “Aside from the fact I don’t agree with your opinion”.

And, no argument from me on this point.

1 Like

From the Times of India . . . .

“Till the time, we only recommend hydroxychloroquine (HCQ) as prophylaxis of COVID in selected individuals. It includes asymptomatic healthcare workers involved in the care of suspected or confirmed cases of COVID, asymptomatic household contacts of laboratory-confirmed cases, a combination of HCQ with Azithromycin on patients with severe disease and requiring ICU management,” said the official, adding that HCQ has to be given only on the prescription of a registered medical practitioner as per government guidelines. . . .

dscath . . .

The correct assumption would be, “Aside from the fact I don’t agree with your opinion”.

Well go ahead and explain the physiology to me so I can see why please.

And I still don’t understand why you think a therapeutic drug failure or even a PERCEIVED therapeutic drug failure, would be a “LOL”??

What is so funny about that? (Even if someone ties it to a Trump opinion that they think is wrong.)

Several authors of a large study that raised safety concerns about malaria drugs for coronavirus patients have retracted the report, saying independent reviewers were not able to verify information that’s been widely questioned by other scientists.

From the embedded video…

The World Health Organisation is set to resume its trial of hydroxychloroquine for potential use against the new coronavirus

1 Like

Like Trump, I don’t have the background to explain it, but to borrow a phrase from that great Republican Donald Rumsfeld, “I know what I don’t know”.

What is funny is that people are still believe if Trump said it was safe and effective because he thought it might be, that it is. The LOL is laughing more at those who took him as a scientific or medical expert, not that it was humorous that the drug was not safe or effective on COVID 19.

He was way out of his lane on Hydorxycholoroquine.

Speaking of lack of understanding, I don’t understand how anyone would hang their head on the hopes of the drug because Trump said, it made sense to him that it would work.

I’ll stick with medical and scientific findings and evaluations over gut feelings of a real estate mogul, reality TV personality, or politician.

4 Likes

dscath . . .

Speaking of lack of understanding, I don’t understand how anyone would hang their head on the hopes of the drug BECAUSE Trump said . . .

Emphasis mine.

I agree. Do you know anybody who does?

I’ll stick with medical and scientific findings and evaluations

Which scientific findings and evaluations are you alluding to?

That was the whole point of my post here.

There were no “scientific findings” which is WHY the Lancet and JAMA withdrew their “studies”.

He (President Trump) was way out of his lane on Hydorxycholoroquine.

Parenthetical mine.

Why do you think other countries were using HCT BEFORE President Trump’s talk?

And WHY are they CONTINUING use of HCT for corona virus infections?

Do you think foreigners sit around the TV conforming their lives to Trump speeches?

No

2 Likes

Good question. Maybe someone saw the similarities between malaria and covid-19 and kept it to himself? I sure as heck heard no explanations for what makes HCT work and I spent years working in labs.

Why is it unfair? Not only did he explicitly promote it, he brought the whole issue home by declaring that he himself was taking the drug. Drugs should not be political issues…drugs should be scientific / medical issues. As a Canadian, I can’t comprehend the notion at all…just don’t get why any politician would be promoting any drug for any reason. Leave that to the doctors…

Its fair not only because President Trump was so actively promoting the drug, but because many of his followers made it a political issue, feeling obliged to defend and promote the drug without any medical expertise.

1 Like

ProVobis . . .

I sure as heck heard no explanations for what makes HCT work and I spent years working in labs.

Have you heard what receptors the corona virus utilizes to enter the respiratory epithelial cells?

1 Like

twf . . .

Drugs should not be political issues…drugs should be scientific / medical issues.

I think that too.

That is WHY I am so perplexed as to WHY the LEFT in the media keep politicizing this treatment.

1 Like

Well that’s probably fair. It shouldn’t have entered the discourse as a political debate to begin with…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.