UK Govt' to Impose "Hate Registers" for British Children who Make Gay Comments

By Hilary WhiteLONDON, March 5, 2010 (LifeSiteNews.com) - Britain's "surveillance culture" is about to take a step forward with the introduction of "hate registers" for children who use anti-homosexual epithets in and out of school. Late last year, Schools minister Vernon Coaker said that as of...

Full article...

Late last year, Schools minister Vernon Coaker said that as of September 2010 all schools will be legally required to report all “hate incidents” no matter how small, and keep records on offending children. Serious cases were to be reported to local councils.

I wonder if they'll do the same thing for kids making anti-Christian slurs, or anti-Catholic slurs?

For some odd reason, I have my doubts.

It is now revealed that plans include a database of incidents to be kept by the local authorities and made available to ministers to inform future anti-bullying campaigns. These “hate registers” will include incidents involving children as young as five.

"So, Mary Ann----it has come to our attention that you have used the 'Q' word on school grounds....is this true?"

http://www.linternaute.com/sortir/concours/concours-dvd/07/0702/sophie-scholl.jpg

But common sense has been notably lacking among British authorities in the application of “equalities” rules in recent years

Ya think???

Despite LifeSite’s inflammatory headline, the article says the law requires that schools keep a record of bullying incidents. Its not a registry for children who make anti-gay remarks. :rolleyes:

[quote=the article]A spokesman for the Department for Children, Schools and Families said, “Schools should take a common-sense approach to dealing with alleged racist or homophobic incidents by pupils.

“If a young child uses a slur, it should be judged whether or not they understand the meaning of the word and should be told why these words are hurtful as well as being appropriately disciplined.
[/quote]

Oh?

[quote=from the article]Late last year, Schools minister Vernon Coaker said that as of September 2010 all schools will be legally required to report all “hate incidents” no matter how small, and keep records on offending children. Serious cases were to be reported to local councils.
[/quote]

Yes, Wolseley. If a schoolkid bullies another schoolkid, it will be documented. Why is that so bad? If a child is engaging in repeated bullying, its good to have records to guide appropriate help.

When I was a schoolchild, bullies got a talking to, and if they kept up the bhavior, they were suspended. There was no formulating a dossier that would follow the kid for the rest of his life.

[quote="Wolseley, post:6, topic:189490"]
There was no formulating a dossier that would follow the kid for the rest of his life.

[/quote]

I don't think think school officials will be releasing records to employers, bankers, etc.

How about if the gay student feels bullied. Does you child then go to gov’t re education?
I bet they do. So they can learn how normal homosexual sex is and you can pay a fine. That will be a stop on this road, wait and see.

[quote="Wolseley, post:6, topic:189490"]
When I was a schoolchild, bullies got a talking to, and if they kept up the bhavior, they were suspended. There was no formulating a dossier that would follow the kid for the rest of his life.

[/quote]

I think that is exactally what we need. (And I was the one that was bullied.) For example in 8th grade a kid put laxatives in my milk at lunch. I did not drink the milk and a friend went to the vice principal and told him what happened. The kid got suspended for a week. In high school we ended in the same English class and while we did not end up close friends we did 'shoot the breeze' as the old saying goes every once in a while. The kid ended up on a full ride to college on an athletic scholarship. I have no idea what he is doing now, but I'm glad that moment of stupidity did not follow him around.

Wow, your liberty sells cheap. You would give it up to prevent someone from giving you laxatives?

[quote="dsears, post:9, topic:189490"]
I think that is exactally what we need. (And I was the one that was bullied.) For example in 8th grade a kid put laxatives in my milk at lunch. I did not drink the milk and a friend went to the vice principal and told him what happened. The kid got suspended for a week. In high school we ended in the same English class and while we did not end up close friends we did 'shoot the breeze' as the old saying goes every once in a while. The kid ended up on a full ride to college on an athletic scholarship. I have no idea what he is doing now, but I'm glad that moment of stupidity did not follow him around.

[/quote]

Maybe it didn't affect his life afterwards but a suspension would normally be on his permanent record and his high school teachers would be aware of it and keeping an eye out for problems.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.