UK High Court Finds Christian Parents Unsuitable (because they will not promote homosexuality)

[LEFT]*Coming to a town near you?*[/LEFT]

[LEFT]
[/LEFT]

[LEFT]parentalrights.org reports
[/LEFT]

[LEFT]**
**[/LEFT]

[LEFT]High Court Finds Christian Parents Unsuitable[/LEFT]

[LEFT]
[/LEFT]

[LEFT]The United Kingdom’s High Court ruled yesterday that Christians with traditional ethical views of sexuality are not suitable to serve as foster or adoptive parents. The judge held that Christian beliefs regarding homosexuality are harmful to children and violate a child’s international human rights. Are these personal beliefs a good reason to deny children a home with a family who cares for them? And if exercising a protected religious liberty violates international child rights in this instance, who is to say what beliefs will be “unsuitable” next?

Those same rights are outlined in the United  Nation’s Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC), and would be  binding on the United States should we ratify that treaty.[/LEFT]

That's scary...:eek:

That's the best way to start a firestorm of hate on both sides, for sure!

It's just so unreasonable and irrational. I don't understand how "Christian views on homosexuality" could be harmful to children. Sure, there's a few misguided people that are violently opposed to homosexuality, but not all Christians are. You just have to stress a viewpoint to "love the sinner, hate the sin," which I don't see as being harmful.

The parents have absolutely no right to not allow homosexuality as it is not up to them. If they personally are against it that is fine; if they can respect their child's right to being sexually free then this should not be a problem.

[quote="AWguitar007, post:4, topic:230856"]
The parents have absolutely no right to not allow homosexuality as it is not up to them. If they personally are against it that is fine; if they can respect their child's right to being sexually free then this should not be a problem.

[/quote]

The statement in the article reads that the couple "were not willing to promote the practise of homosexuality to a young child." So it sounds to me that the government is now dictating what morals a parent can/can not teach his/her child. I also am not promoting the practice of homosexuality to my child; in fact I am teaching my children that they also shouldn't "practice" heterosexuality until they are in a sacramental marriage. I am also teaching my children why the use of ABC is intrinsically wrong with their true beings. I'm sure many wouldn't agree with that either. It seems you prefer to just let the values/morals that you believe are correct to be taught to children. What happens if the government decides one of your core values should no longer be exposed to children? Seems like a slippery slope to me.

God Bless!!

[quote="jjtc, post:5, topic:230856"]
The statement in the article reads that the couple "were not willing to promote the practise of homosexuality to a young child." So it sounds to me that the government is now dictating what morals a parent can/can not teach his/her child. I also am not promoting the practice of homosexuality to my child; in fact I am teaching my children that they also shouldn't "practice" heterosexuality until they are in a sacramental marriage. I am also teaching my children why the use of ABC is intrinsically wrong with their true beings. I'm sure many wouldn't agree with that either. It seems you prefer to just let the values/morals that you believe are correct to be taught to children. What happens if the government decides one of your core values should no longer be exposed to children? Seems like a slippery slope to me.

God Bless!!

[/quote]

I'm not saying my beliefs are what people should be taught. If the parents want to teach morals that is fine; if their children don't agree, they shouldn't be bound by them.

cbsnews.com/8301-503543_162-20037899-503543.html

I'm not saying my beliefs are what people should be taught. If the parents want to teach morals that is fine; if their children don't agree, they shouldn't be bound by them.

According to the article I linked, this couple was seeking a child between the ages of 5 and 10. It is unlikely that a child of this age would be a practicing homosexual. If there are any children in this age group who consider themselves to be gay, then they could simply be matched with a different foster family, while the family in this court case could be matched with a Christian child.

Besides, if we're discussing minor children, then of course they should be bound by the parents' morals (within reason). If I don't agree with premarital sex, then I shouldn't have to allow my teenager to have premarital sex on the family couch!

[quote="Diotima, post:7, topic:230856"]
cbsnews.com/8301-503543_162-20037899-503543.html

According to the article I linked, this couple was seeking a child between the ages of 5 and 10. It is unlikely that a child of this age would be a practicing homosexual. If there are any children in this age group who consider themselves to be gay, then they could simply be matched with a different foster family, while the family in this court case could be matched with a Christian child.

Besides, if we're discussing minor children, then of course they should be bound by the parents' morals (within reason). If I don't agree with premarital sex, then I shouldn't have to allow my teenager to have premarital sex on the family couch!

[/quote]

That might be the next thing that parents are not allowed to teach - purity. After all, that encroaches on a child's freedom, right? Actually, ALL faith is in some way restrictive of that child's individuality, because you are not allowing the child to choose his or her faith but are inflicting your own belief system upon them.

Where does this right come from?

Just to clarify -- it is not THEIR child, it's a short term foster placement. Not that it makes it that much better, but it is a little different for the gov't to say "You can't raise up YOUR child with your morals" and "You can't impose your morals on someone else's child."

Just sayin'.

Makes me so ashamed to be British. God help the UK. It's a moral wasteground.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.