UK Petition to deny entry to Donald Trump on grounds of hate speech racks up nearly 360,000 signatures in 24 hours

"The government has signalled it will not refuse the US presidential candidate Donald Trump entry to Britain following his controversial comments about Muslims, despite a petition calling for a ban gathering more than 360,000 signatures in just over 24 hours.

At the height of its popularity on Wednesday afternoon, the petition, which calls for Trump to be stopped from entering Britain on the grounds of hate speech, was racking up more than 30,000 signatures an hour, according to parliament’s petitions website.

Parliament considers all petitions that receive more than 100,000 signatures for a debate. The petition to ban Trump, which became open for signatures at 4.39pm Tuesday, had been signed by 360,0090 people by midnight on Wednesday.

It says: “The signatories believe Donald J Trump should be banned from UK entry. The UK has banned entry to many individuals for hate speech. The same principles should apply to everyone who wishes to enter the UK.

“If the United Kingdom is to continue applying the ‘unacceptable behaviour’ criteria to those who wish to enter its borders, it must be fairly applied to the rich as well as poor, and the weak as well as powerful.”

theguardian.com/us-news/2015/dec/09/petition-calling-for-donald-trump-to-be-banned-from-uk-signed-by-85000?CMP=soc_567

this world is getting crazier by the minute.

The existence and popularity of Trump in the first place is testament to that.

I do think the rhetoric espoused by Trump would border on the illegal in the UK, but I also think it’s far better for ludicrous opinions to be met with rational criticism, if you want to change minds, and the only way to do that is to give him a platform.

Basically, Trump coming to the UK would either be about a Scottish golf course or just a ‘foreign visit’ edition of the endless American Political Soap Opera Show.

The only problem is with the latter in that we would seem doomed to having it fed back to us as if it really mattered - the British Political Soap Opera Show is much more entertainingly bonkers, anyway.

I can think of a lot worse people I would ban from my country than Donald Trump. Michael Savage was banned. Can someone be unbanned?

I’m sure they can - if they pose no threat to political stability. Still, I can’t think of anyone (aside from obvious criminals) who has more exposure and more objectionable views than Donald Trump. I would write him off as an eccentric, excepting that the failure of the United States to address the threat of oligarchy in politics makes him a “credible” candidate for the Presidency, and thus a man of considerable influence - influence that ought to be contained as far as legally possible.

Oligarchy is US politics occurred long before Trump’s candidacy. I am not a supporter of Trump’s, but I don’t think he poses a threat to anyone in the UK. I think people just like to start petitions.

I think Scots haven’t forgiven him for the golf course…

Understandable. I guess in some ways he does pose a threat to some! :smiley:

sorta ironic. they want to ban him from entry because he wants to ban people from entry, maybe they will have to ban themselves from entry because he wants to ban them from entry and they want to ban him from entry …

The petition strikes me as somewhat tongue in cheek, you can monitor it online and the number signing are starting to slow down but it’s close to 420,00 now, it will probably top out soon. I’d guess around the half a million mark it will lose steam. Amusingly there is also a petition not to ban him which has for attracted around 12,000 votes.

I thought the petition would have begun to slow down more than this but it’s reached nearly 455, 000 votes and although it is slowing it is still attracting between 6 to 7 thousand votes a hour at present. Meanwhile the petition to not block him is hovering around 18,000. Personally I’d say at this point Trump has consumed enough air time on telly in the UK and we are all just playing into his game of self promotion by sticking him on the news so much as he will only twist the narrative to show how these durned fool Brits are so PC or something of that ilk.

I’m keeping an eye on both petitions out of a sense of morbid curiosity and now ’ the don’t block Trump’ petition has started to take of and has had 18,000 signatures in the past hour. It will be hilarious if it reaches 100,00 signatures as well since at that leave the govt. has to consider debating a petition.

No - I agree, this is likely the work of misguided busy-bodies - I don’t think he is a credible voice, and I would have faith in the decency of the people of this country to ignore his rhetoric.

If I were in the UK, and I have lived there, I would feel the same way.:thumbsup:

love this!! :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.