Ukip elects Catholic as its new leader

Paul Nuttall won the leadership contest with 62.6 per cent of the vote

Ukip has elected a pro-life Catholic as its new leader. Paul Nuttall, MEP for North West England, gained 62.6% of party members’ votes.

Nuttall, 39, is a practising Catholic. Last year he told the Tablet: “On moral issues, we, more than any other political party, are more in line with Catholic thought. Whether it’s on gender-choice abortion or same-sex marriage, we are absolutely 100 per cent behind the Catholic Church.”

catholicherald.co.uk/news/2016/11/28/ukip-elects-catholic-as-its-new-leader/

UKIP has exactly 1 member (out of 650) of the House of Commons. Not exactly a credible political party.

I wouldn’t say that, they got almost 4 million votes in the last election while the Scottish National Party only received just over 1 million but somehow got 56 seats in parliament. The only reason they don’t have better representation is because the voting system is so bad.

Speaking as a UKIP member, I did not know Paul Nuttall was Catholic. I did know he was moderately pro life though which is a good sign.

I won’t ever be voting for him, I could never support UKIP.

Really goes against the nativist narrative for UKIP to pick a member of a minority religion over someone from the Church of England. Great news!

Times are desperate I guess.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.