Ukraine Activist 'Crucified And Had Ear Cut Off'

Sky News - Ukraine Activist 'Crucified And Had Ear Cut Off’

The UN human rights commissioner has called for a prompt and through investigation of claims of deaths and kidnappings in Ukraine.

**A Ukrainian activist who went missing during anti-government protests has stumbled into a village near Kiev saying he was beaten and tortured.

Dmytro Bulatov, 35, told Ukraine’s Channel 5 television: “They crucified me, they nailed down my hands. They cut off my ear, they cut my face. There isn’t a spot on my body that hasn’t been beaten.”**

Mr Bulatov, a member of Automaidan, a group of car owners that has taken part in the protests against President Viktor Yanukovich, was reported missing on January 22.

In the television interview his face and clothes were seen covered in clotted blood, his hands were swollen and bore the marks of nails.

He is among several activists whose disappearances have increased tensions the country.

One of the activists, Yuriy Verbytsky, was found dead in a forest while another, Igor Lutsenko, survived a severe beating and was hospitalised.

Opposition leader Vitali Klitschko, who visited Mr Bulatov in hospital, said: “What was done to Dmytro was an act to frighten all citizens who are being active now.”

The UN’s human rights office has called on Ukraine to launch an independent investigation into deaths, kidnappings and torture during the weeks of political unrest.

Rupert Coville, spokesman for the UN high commissioner for human rights, said the issue “should be promptly, thoroughly and independently investigated”.

The UN statement came as Russia’s outspoken Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin tweeted that US Secretary of State John Kerry’s planned meeting with Mr Klitschko was a “circus”.

The talks on Saturday are also expected to include Ukraine’s pro-opposition popstar Ruslana.

news.sky.com/story/1204304/ukraine-activist-crucified-and-had-ear-cut-off

**BBC News - Ukraine police put ‘tortured’ activist on wanted list

A Ukrainian protester who says he was abducted and tortured has been put on a police wanted list, sparking a stand-off at the hospital treating him.

Police and prosecutors arrived at the clinic where Dmytro Bulatov is recovering, after going missing for eight days during the unrest in Kiev.**

Supporters have also gone to the clinic, amid fears he will be arrested on a charge of organising mass unrest.

A newly passed amnesty for protesters has yet to enter into force.

Three protesters and three police officers have been killed, and scores injured on both sides, since the protests turned violent on 22 January.

Opposition to President Viktor Yanukovych spilled on to the streets in November after he abandoned a trade deal with the EU in favour of closer economic ties with Russia.

**Mr Bulatov, who was found bloodied and bedraggled on the outskirts of the capital on Thursday, said earlier he had been left to die by his captors after being kidnapped, repeatedly beaten and “crucified”. He was, he said, hung up by his wrists.

“They crucified me, so there are holes in my hands now,” he said.

“Other than that - they cut off my ear, cut up my face. My whole body is a mess. You can see everything. I am alive. Thank God for this.”

The activist reportedly said he did not know who had abducted him but his abductors had spoken with Russian accents**.

Police in Kiev have confirmed Mr Bulatov was bruised and received a cut to one of his ears, Ukrainian news website Ukrainskaya Pravda reports.

They said they had opened an investigation and were posting guards at his hospital.

According to the paper, they also expressed indignation that Mr Bulatov had not phoned them after his release.

Mr Bulatov is a prominent anti-government activist and one of the leaders of the organisation AutoMaidan, which has patrolled streets around Independence Square.

**Amnesty International described Mr Bulatov’s ordeal as a “barbaric act which must be investigated immediately”.

Reaction to news of his ordeal among opposition supporters and journalists was furious, with one journalist, Vitaly Portnikov, suggesting “death squads” were operating in Ukraine**.

bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25988661

Barbarianism! :mad:

Oh, dear God! :bighanky:

Me thinks its time for another day of prayer and fasting like we did with the Syria situation.

Well, for those who still think Putin’s Russia is some kind of golden land, this should remind us of the following Bible passage;

Put not your trust in princes,
in a son of man, in whom there is no help. (Psalm 146:3, RSVCE)

I saw this story this morning in BBC World. He did look beat up, but no rope marks on wrists or holes in his hands - in fact his arms and hands didn’t appear marred at all.

I do definately think he was taken and beaten - that much is obvious - but I also think there’s an element of exageration in his story.

Putin has mostly always been a thug and not much appears to have changed there. I hope the protesters will be able to get their demands met and the treaties with the EU are ratified.

The Ukraine and Russia are two seperate nations. Also it should be noted that both sides have been engaging in behaviour that is stomach churning in the former nation at times in the ongoing violence.

Isn’t that really the whole issue, they are two different countries, and Ukraine imho seems contested from acting independent of Russia. Could be my own reading of this.

The OP is tragic, dangerous minds.

This is awfully reminiscent of Germans/Japanese/Vietcong/Iraqis/whoever the enemy du jour is “using babies for bayonet practice”.

I recommend we keep our lie detectors set to 11 in any issue involving two parties fighting.

The opposition has not kidnapped anyone from Yanukovych’s regime. In fact they surrounded one building where the internal riot police Berkut was stationed in Kyiv, and allowed them all to leave the building in peace, much to Berkut’s surprise.

The anti-Yanukovych activist Bulatov angered Yanukovych because his automobile Maidan would drive to Yanukovych’s multi-million dollar mansion called Mezhyhiria which Yanukovych built all at the Ukrainian peoples’ expense.

The tortured activist was hospitalized and Yanukovych’s police actually still attempted to arrest him in the hospital. They had an arrest warrant out for him. Unbelievable. The outcry was loud enough that he has now left Ukraine for medical treatment in Lithuania which confirms he was tortured, unlike Yanukovych’s foreign minister’s assessment who laughed that the activist Bulatov only got a scratch on his face.

This is who the people of Ukraine are up against. Sheer brutality from Yanukovych. Death squads in the middle of Europe.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.