Ukraine crisis: Lithuania envoy killed in Luhansk

Lithuania envoy killed in Luhansk - BBC News goo.gl/IIaAeP "

Lithuania says its honorary consul in the rebel-held city of Luhansk in eastern Ukraine has been murdered by “terrorists” there.

Lithuania’s Foreign Minister Linas Linkevicius tweeted with “deep sorrow” that “Mr Mykola Zelenec kidnapped & brutally killed by terrorists there”.

Ukraine routinely calls the pro-Russian separatists in Luhansk “terrorists”.

The news came amid reports that some Russian aid lorries had reached Luhansk without any permission from Ukraine.

There has been no comment from the rebels yet on the Lithuanian diplomat’s death.

I believe just about all the democracies (Baltics, Poland) formerly subjugated to the Russian or Soviet Empire understand the threat of Russian militaristic imperialism.

A friend of mine who just returned from Ukraine says there is a real threat Putin-supported terrorists will act in other areas of Ukraine, not even under their control, to completely destabilize Ukraine. Recently, the mayor of Lviv, a major city in Western Ukraine, survived an assassination attempt.

The thing is Putin has miniscule support in Ukraine. If he is dumb and imperialistic enough to actually invade Ukraine, my friend tells me even young girls who work at beauty departments in stores in Kyiv or Kharkiv in Eastern Ukraine are ready to fight the KGB autocrat Putin, with arms, no questions - Russian or Ukrainian speaking, no difference, such is the disgust with what Putin has done to Ukraine.

They will not allow themselves to be ruled by the Kremlin ever again.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.