Ukraine Says Russia Shuts Down All Gas Supplies to Europe

PARIS — All gas supplies to Europe via Ukraine were shut down Wednesday as the pricing dispute between Russia and Ukraine escalated. The European Union called for an immediate solution to the crisis.
The cutoff showed the first signs of hitting the European economy as the Hungarian unit of the Japanese automaker Suzuki said it was halting production because of restrictions on industrial users of gas. The Hungarian news agency MTI quoted a spokeswoman as saying Suzuki hoped to restart production Monday.
The Ukrainian gas company Naftogaz accused Gazprom, the Russian gas monopoly, of halting all transshipments at 7:44 a.m. Wednesday. But in Berlin, Aleksandr I. Medvedev, Gazprom’s deputy chief executive, told journalists that it was Naftogaz, the Ukrainian company, that had closed a fourth pipeline, ending all transshipments to Europe. “Unfortunately, the situation is continuing to deteriorate,” Reuters quoted Mr. Medvedev as saying. “Yesterday night, Ukraine completely shut down all export pipelines to Europe via Ukraine.”

nytimes.com/2009/01/08/world/europe/08gazprom.html?_r=1&hp

This is what you get for relying on globalism for basic necessities.

More needs to be done to get back to local supply of these needs.

I wonder what excuse Russia will use now. Maybe that the evil Georgians are controlling the Ukrainians. :rolleyes:

LR. This has been going on for the past couple of years. It seems that Russia “creates” some type of dispute with Ukraine and stops the gas supplies to Western Europe.

Exactly my point. They used the need of South Ossetia as an excuse to invade Georgia (like the excuse of Germans in Sudetenland to invade Czechoslovakia or the Germans in Danzig to invade Poland).

You might find this rather interesting:

wattsupwiththat.com/2009/01/06/accuweathers-bastardi-global-cooling-reason-for-putin-shutting-off-gas-pipeline/#more-4862

Don’t know if it’s true or just conspiracy theorist gone wild, but interesting none the less.

cnn.com/2009/WORLD/europe/01/07/europe.russia.gas/index.html<LI
13 European countries say supplies from Russia have been disrupted
Ukraine: Gazprom has turned off all gas flowing through Ukraine
Russian gas supplier claims Ukraine owes millions in missed payments
Gazprom says Ukraine is to blame for shutting the pipelines to Europe

This doesn’t just affect the Ukraine or Russia, unfortunately, it affects many nations in Europe, particularly hard hit is Lithuania, Bulgaria and Slovakia which heavily rely on this gas. This winter not only are we in the US experiencing an unusually cold and snowy one, but so is the Eastern hemisphere. I fear that many people may die or get sick as a result of this growing problem which I think is entirely political in nature at this point.

The best thing I think we can do from here is pray for a speedy resolution, like immediately so these people do not suffer from not only lack of heat, but also lacking of cooking elements etc. Join me in prayer, please. :gopray2:

People act like this is the first time this has happened. Hardly. This has been going on since the 90’s. Here is a link to the history of this:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russia-Ukraine_gas_dispute

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.