Ultra-Orthodox Jews Attack Jerusalem Buses Over Women Of The Wall Ad

**JERUSALEM (AP) **— Dozens of ultra-Orthodox Jews hurled stones and slashed the tires of buses bearing ads promoting female worship at a key Jerusalem holy site, Israeli police said Tuesday . . .

The ads were posted by the group Women of the Wall, which seeks to achieve gender equality at the Western Wall, the holiest place where Jews can pray. The advertisements showed girls and women wearing prayer shawls and holding a Torah scroll — rituals seen by many Orthodox Jews as reserved for men only.

By contrast, the more liberal Reform and Conservative streams of Judaism, the largest denominations in the United States which are marginal in Israel, allow women to wear prayer shawls, be ordained as rabbis, lead services and read from the Torah.

huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/23/ultra-orthodox-jerusalem-bus-ad_n_6036936.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

And how many arrests of the stone throwers and public and private property destroyers were made by Israeli law enforcement authorities, Huffingtonpost?

First thought they were throwing the stones at the women. Somewhat relieved it was at the buses.

Israeli society seems virulently misogynist, so this article doesn’t surprise me in the least.

Here’s another interesting news story:

independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/london-council-removes-unacceptable-stamford-hill-posters-telling-women-which-side-of-the-road-to-walk-down-9746012.html

It didn’t say, not that I noticed anyway.

There were photos of one of the women at the wall being arrested though, for praying at the wall.

I wonder how the women in the IDF view this sort of thing?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_the_Israel_Defense_Forces

Women in the Israeli Defense Forces are female soldiers who serve in the Israel Defense Forces. Israel is the one of only a few countries in the world (along with Norway[1] and Eritrea[2]) with a mandatory military service requirement for women.[3][4][5] Women have taken part in Israel’s military before and since the founding of the state in 1948,[6][7] with women comprising 33% of all IDF soldiers and 51% of its officers, in 2011,[8] fulfilling various roles within the Ground, Navy and Air Forces. The 2000 Equality amendment to the Military Service law states that “The right of women to serve in any role in the IDF is equal to the right of men.”[5] As of now, 88% to 92%[9] of all roles in the IDF are open to female candidates, while women can be found in 69% of all positions.[3]

The ultra-Orthodox Jewish minority have been given all sorts of special rights vis-a-vis the other more secular and less orthodox Jewish members of society, who are the ones actually spilling their blood in defense of the country.

I can’t help but think that that is engendering a lot of resentment.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.