Um... I don't remember my confirmation name (if I ever even had one)

I was raised into the Catholic faith as a child and I know that my baptismal name is Anthony, but I don’t know what my confirmation name is (I was confirmed at about 7 or 8; somewhere around there, maybe a little older). My mother doesn’t know either, and she says she doesn’t think I got one.

I’ve seen a lot of talk on here about confirmation names, yet I don’t have one…? Do I not have a confirmation name? Is it too late to get one?

If you had one, it will be listed on your Confirmation certificate as an added middle name. For example, “John David Smith” would become “John David Francis Smith,” if his Confirmation Saint was St. Francis.

Unfortunately, it’s too late to get a Confirmation name (since that is bestowed on you by the Bishop at the time of your Confirmation) but you can still “adopt” any Saint you want, and become close friends with them, even if you don’t have the opportunity to take their name. :slight_smile:

Depending on where you lived and when you were confirmed it’s quite possible that the question of confirmation names never arose. I was confirmed 50 years ago, my goddaughter 23 years ago, my kids 12-15 years ago. At no time was a ‘confirmation name’ mentioned. Yes, the bishop spoke our names, but it was our baptismal names that he spoke, nothing else.

Choosing a Saint’s name is part of the preparation in some dioceses and unheard of in others.

If you don’t have a copy of your confirmation certificate, check with the parish where you were confirmed. They should have a record of whether you had a name or not.

You don’t need one. As Phemie said it depends on local policy. As jmcrae said you can’t get one now. I was given a confirmation name. I was confirmed well over 20+ years ago and since the day I was confirmed I’ve never needed it and no one has ever even asked for it. When I got married the priest wanted proof of my confirmation but wasn’t concerned at all about my confirmation name.

When I was confirmed about 20 something years ago, we were not told to take a confirmation name. As far as I know, no one in my class did so.

I may have chosen Therese or another female saint name if it was a requirement.

Unfortunately, it’s too late to get a Confirmation name (since that is bestowed on you by the Bishop at the time of your Confirmation) but you can still “adopt” any Saint you want, and become close friends with them, even if you don’t have the opportunity to take their name.

Therese of Lisieux, I’ve “adopted” her even if I didn’t take her name as a confirmation name as a teen…

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.