Umm...am I married?

So, when my ex fiance and I were teens we were not chaste. Now, one time during unchastity we exchanged vows. I understand that couples confer the sacrament on each other. Setting aside the sacrilige I have already confessed, are these vows binding drspite the absence of priests and witnesses? She is currently engaged to a new man, but is she unknowingly my wife?

[quote="Layp3rs0n, post:1, topic:305700"]
So, when my ex fiance and I were teens we were not chaste. Now, one time during unchastity we exchanged vows. I understand that couples confer the sacrament on each other. Setting aside the sacrilige I have already confessed, are these vows binding drspite the absence of priests and witnesses? She is currently engaged to a new man, but is she unknowingly my wife?

[/quote]

Short answer, no. Not even close.

Private vows only constitute a valid marriage in places where clergy are unavailable, e.g. due to persecution. A Catholic is otherwise bound to be married in a Church, with clergy present, unless dispensed by his Bishop.

God Bless

No.

:whistle: that was close eh? :doh2: Hope you have learned some. :D

No, you are not married.

Ben there, done that.

I discussed it with a priest, he was great. He prayed with me, and asked that God break the ties binding me to my ex fiance that our prayer, and sexual encounters may have created. I felt totally set free, and forgiven. It was beautiful, and healing!

[quote="Layp3rs0n, post:1, topic:305700"]

[/quote]

No, she is not your wife, unless you were stranded on some desert island with no hope of rescue or some other extraordinary circumstance. Catholics must follow Catholic form. If you do not, If you don't, your attempt at marriage was illicit and invalid.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.