UN Committee Blasts Vatican on Sex Abuse, Abortion

The Vatican “systematically” adopted policies that allowed priests to rape and molest tens of thousands of children over decades, a U.N. human rights committee said Wednesday, urging the Holy See to open its files on pedophiles and bishops who concealed their crimes.

In a devastating report hailed by abuse victims, the U.N. committee severely criticized the Holy See for its attitudes toward homosexuality, contraception and abortion and said it should change its own canon law to ensure children’s rights and their access to health care are guaranteed.

The Vatican promptly objected and its U.N. ambassador accused the committee of having betrayed the international body’s own objectives by allowing itself to be swayed by pro-gay ideologues. He said it appeared the committee simply hadn’t listened when the Holy See outlined all the measures it has taken to protect children.

breitbart.com/system/wire/ap_8422f77ce20a4d99b8d52f19fcf7653b

I don’t even know why anyone listens to the UN drama anymore.

Oh, I forgot. People like drama. :shrug:

This is the kind of garbage that might prompt the Holy See to withdraw its “observer” status at the United Nations.

The United Nations hasn’t really done anything worthwhile since May 8, 1945… maybe August, 1953 at the latest.

It does appear they have been unable to stop genocide, or war and conflict which is what they were supposed to do. :shrug: In fact lately it seems like have been ignoring war, conflict and potential genocide in favor of sticking their noses into the Churches stance on abortion and sexual ethics.

Whoever gives more than the value of a rat’s posterior to what any UN committee has to say is either incredibly naive or mentally deficient.
For those who do give credance to such opinions, I have a bridge in Brooklyn, NY for sale.

The Catholic Church will have a very hard time living down the pedophilia scandal of yesteryear, and the settlement payments cost a fortune. Yes, we Catholics can hang our heads in collective shame on that score. Let us hope that in the future nothing of this nature will be kept secret, and that the perpetrators will be defrocked immediately and left to defend themselves. – But excuse me, how would permitting contraception, abortion and homosexuality ever solve the pedophilia problem in the Church? The UN Committee is totally off the track!

Uh, collective shame? You can do that, if you want, but no thank you on my part. I’d say more like collective anger at those Catholics who give the world such a bad example. Collective indignation that our Catholic name has been tainted by sinful lechers.

Collective shame, my foot.

How dare they demand the Church change her teaching? I wonder if they ever told Islam (whoever one would ask there…) to change its views on women, homosexuality and whatnot.

I don’t care about what the UN says. Talk, talk, talk and nothing comes of it. Whenever the spokesperson on the committee said “Holy See”, I grinned and thought to myself “Yes, it angers you that you have to call Holy Church by this name, doesn’t it? Go on, say it again.”

You know why they only care about the Catholic Church? Look at Western Europe. It’s been a political organization first and a religion second throughout most of history.

Although I partly disagree (which is not the topic here), if it “has been” one, then why bother now that it isn’t anymore?

being discussed in World News

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.