UN Committee Says Nicaraguan Pro-Life Laws Violate Torture Convention

NEW YORK, NY, May 28, 2009 (C-FAM) The United Nations (UN) committee charged with monitoring compliance with the Convention Against Torture has declared that Nicaragua’s full protection of unborn life violates the country’s obligations under the Convention. This is the first time this committee has reviewed Nicaragua since the country’s government outlawed abortion for any reason three years ago.

The torture committee is the fourth UN committee to pressure Nicaragua with respect to its laws protecting unborn life, joining the committees charged with monitoring the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against Women, the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (ICESCR) and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights.

Critics are increasingly concerned with what they view as the politicization of the treaty monitoring system by committees charged with oversight. Neither the Convention Against Torture nor any other UN treaty mentions abortion, and it was not contemplated when such treaties were negotiated and ratified that countries were committing themselves to altering domestic legislation on abortion.

Full article…

It is past time the UN was dismantled.

Apparently the Committee Against Torture (CAT) wants Nicaragua to allow abortion in the cases of rape and incest. Nicaragua is one of the few countries in the world to make abortion completely illegal. The other countries are Chile, El Salvador, the Dominican Republic, Malta and the Philippines.

In its May 14 report on Nicaragua, the CAT said the ban on abortion for rape and incest victims condemns them to constant exposure to the violations they have suffered and subjects them to serious traumatic stress and the risk of prolonged psychological problems like anxiety or depression.

ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=47011

There also doesn’t seem to be a exception for health of the mother, which means she’d just die, I guess. Also, these Latin American countries have a history of instability and civil strife which has included rape as a part of torture on the populace by militant groups on all sides. IOW, it has been common in these countries. Pregnancy must sometimes result. So yes, I think there should be exceptions to the law and in this case agree with the U.N.

I’m waiting for the U.N. to speak out about the forced abortion that is happening in China. I guess it’s much easier to go after Nicaragua. This organization is a joke.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.