(Un)constitutionality of the reproductive health

A friend of mine said, “I am a pro RH law but if they want to put forward the Bible as the basis of our laws, then let’s have the Family code declared unconstitutional, because they allow men with multiple wives in the Bible. A younger brother must also marry his older brother’s wife, if his older brother dies. the list just goes on.”

What say you, Catholics?

Much of what he’s referencing in this is pulled from the OT.

Multiple wives were allowed, but never encouraged; and generally wound up ending poorly from all involved.

As for the Siring a child with your brother’s widow thing, that was a cultural law, and one which is not longer enforced thanks to the New Covenant of Jesus Christ.

There are lots of things like this in the OT, and what’s important to remember when looking at them is that those laws were mostly developed to guide a tribal society, distinctly different from what we have today. It is necessary to look at the context of the laws within that society, as well as to look at if those laws are dealing with societal issues or moral issues. For instance, the law about not mixing fabrics in your clothes was a societal law, meant to separate the Jewish people from non-Jewish tribes, not as big an issue nowadays; however, the laws dealing with, say, murder or homosexuality were moral in nature, and therefore remain important to us.

First I will need to know what ‘RH Law’ means.

“Reproductive Health”

It’s the false moniker given to abortion laws to try to frame them as something positive, rather than addressing them as, you know, government / physician sponsored brutal child murdering.

Agreed. Thank you for your explanation.

Then, if that is the case, NONE of us should refer to it by that name, but rather call it what it truly is.

Personally, I’m hoping they are successful in chucking the Bible, and any other form of morality, so we can do a little bit of “anything goes” before the end-times. Although, I guarantee you won’t like my version of it.

If we can chuck this whole christianity thing, then I can deal with abortionists the way I actually view them. As MONSTERS (I have previously posted elsewhere that Human History has already labeled those that support and partake of it thus, it is unavoidable).

I can hunt monsters without compunction.

Picture an aborted fetus and remember, if you live in a “Blue” State you are part of the problem. If you have a “D” after your name, the problem is part of you.

Part of me agrees with you. It’d be nice for these people to see the logical conclusion of their actions while they’re still alive…

If we can chuck this whole christianity thing, then I can deal with abortionists the way I actually view them. As MONSTERS (I have previously posted elsewhere that Human History has already labeled those that support and partake of it thus, it is unavoidable).

I can hunt monsters without compunction.

We are called to pray for them, though it is quite hard at times. If we kill them they can never repent, unless you want to see them in Hell, in which case… well… what’s wrong with? There’s not a single human being in all of history that i’d wish Hell on…

Picture an aborted fetus and remember, if you live in a “Blue” State you are part of the problem. If you have a “D” after your name, the problem is part of you.

And what about the people who live in those states who voted Republican? Or what about those Republicans that support abortion? It’s not a red vs blue problem, it’s a problem with the underlying foundation of society. True, democrats are accelerating the affects, but at it’s heart the problem is that of rejecting God, and people on both sides of the river are responsible for that.

closed #8

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.