Un-forgivable Sin? What is it?

Jesus said there was sin that would not be forgiven. What is it?

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=10846206&highlight=unforgivable+sin#post10846206

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=10846206&highlight=unforgivable+sin#post10846206

Final Unrepentance. If you die in a state of mortal sin and are not repentant, you cannot be forgiven b/c you are not willing to accept forgiveness (which requires repentance). Traditionally the Church has recognized six manifestations of this sin all of which lead to a lack of repentance:

1. Despair
  2. Presumption
  3. Impugning the Truth
  4. Envy at another’s spiritual gain
  5. Obstinacy in mortal sin
  6. Final Impenitence

I want to confess to you all why I asked this.

Today on the radio I heard a story of demon possesion out of Indiana I think it was. Sounded very real, and the local Dioces sent a priest in to perform an exorcism.

After hearing this I paused and thought “Can a person invite demon possesion?” It was a random thought, I don’t know where it came from, and it scared the #$%^&* out of me that it even crossed my mind!

I immediately engaged in prayer, asked for forgiveness for the thought passing thru my mind.

It was not something I’d ever willingly consider, just a random thought that popped in my head - but one so terrible I wondered was this the un-forgivable sin?

Please comment - thank you!

The only sin that God can’t forgive is the one you won’t repent over. If such a sin is mortal, you will go to hell. Any sin you truly repent will be forgiven. Don’t worry, Christ has power over even the demon. God bless.

The answer to that question is yes. The person may not always specifically desire that, but when you get into the occult, witchcraft, and all of that other evil stuff you open yourself to possession. Many exorcists have said this throughout the years. It’s best to stay as far away from these things as possible.

So would you say a random, un-willed thought is both not a sin, and not opening yourself to these things?

I would agree.

Thank you!

I want so bad to be a good Christian, and am trying, and my heart hurts when I fail.

I have a hard enough time with the conscious thoughts that I can controll.

Thanks guys,

I do apreciate all support!

Marc

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.