(Un)Holy Saint of Death.

Santa Muera?? I guess that is his/her name.

My priest was talking how praying to this (Un)Sainly being was necromancy and idolatry.
I know the Mexican traditions made this (Un)saint up and dressed it with rich articles.
Drug dealers would pray to this (Un)saint to carry their cocaine across the border or something.

How did this tradition arise?

Our priest told us that one time, when he was in Mexico, he was in someones house. They had a statue of Mother Mary, St. Jude, and Santa Muera. The priest explicitly without second thought told this faithful Catholic to get that statue out immediately. The Catholic hesistated, but trusted the pastor of the Church, and burned it and even made sure a lot of other people in the neighborhood didn’t allow this.

Tell me, why doesn’t Mexican Priest warn the faithful parishioners about the harms of Santa Muera?

It’s “Santa Muerte”, actually :blush: But where did you read this story at? I’m Hispanic, but I’m glad my family stayed far away from this dangerous devotion.

Death is the spawn of Satan’s pride and envy so it should not be venerated as a saint. I don’t know why the Mexican priest of that town wouldn’t warn those in his parish about Santa Meurte devotion. Maybe he actually does and some don’t take heed of his advice.

This cult is like Santeria. Look up Santeria particularly among Cubans and the Yoruba faith.

These faiths are a combo of the original indigenous religion and the faith of the Spanish Conquerers. In order to practice their faith in secret, the indigenous peoples “hid” their saints or gods among the Catholic saints. In Santeria, the god “Chango” becomes St. Barbara, etc. This way the could worship.

The Catholic Church condemns Santa Muerta – but it’s deeply ensconsed in the culture. The Catholic Church also condemns Santeria, yet research shows some Catholic Churches also incorporate Santeria into their rite. They keep a low profile, however I did see somewhere that a few Churches in NY are incorporating some of these pagan rites, though I cannot find the Churches now. I suspect the reason is that there’s both a long relationship with the ethnic culture of the people in the parish and community and those people have a centuries old adherence to their combined faith.

[quote="Leegal, post:4, topic:274801"]
This cult is like Santeria. Look up Santeria particularly among Cubans and the Yoruba faith.

These faiths are a combo of the original indigenous religion and the faith of the Spanish Conquerers. In order to practice their faith in secret, the indigenous peoples "hid" their saints or gods among the Catholic saints. In Santeria, the god "Chango" becomes St. Barbara, etc. This way the could worship.

The Catholic Church condemns Santa Muerta -- but it's deeply ensconsed in the culture. The Catholic Church also condemns Santeria, yet research shows some Catholic Churches also incorporate Santeria into their rite. They keep a low profile, however I did see somewhere that a few Churches in NY are incorporating some of these pagan rites, though I cannot find the Churches now. I suspect the reason is that there's both a long relationship with the ethnic culture of the people in the parish and community and those people have a centuries old adherence to their combined faith.

[/quote]

There are Santeros that worship "Santa" Muerte too. I see some statues of her in botanicas.

[quote="Leegal, post:4, topic:274801"]
The Catholic Church condemns Santa Muerta -- but it's deeply ensconsed in the culture.

[/quote]

Santa Muerte is not "deeply ensconsed in the [Mexican] culture"

This is something no one heard about until the narcotrafficante sub-culture emerged in the last decade.

I am a Mexican-American in South Texas where Mexican and American culture merge and interact. No one heard of this until the last 5 years.

Despite your reference to burnt orange in your religion, I am inclined to agree with you, whether this has been proliferated through the drug trade or not, it certainly is not part of the Mexican heritage and is at least somewhat new in its popularity.

I try not to judge those who practice Santeria too harshly, though I know it is evil. It is just too easy to look down on the pagan mingling with Catholicism as something ignorant and nothing we would never do here. I see however an American parallel of mingling our religions with Christianity, the religion of wealth, or the religion of politics, into something equally contrary to Catholic teaching. This priest is serving the needs of his parishioners by warning against the sins and temptations that are near* them*, even if we do not understand it well.

Don’t tell me you’re an Aggie…or worse, a Sooner?

I live in the Southern tip of South Texas and there are alot of folks devoted to this “santa muerte” Our Priest has mentioned many times it is not from the Church, and is evil. I see some of the same people who are in church with the figurine or sticker of it on their vehicle. Some folks chose to ignore the warnings of the Priest.

Bishop Daniel Flores of the Diocese of Brownsville has addressed this and warned the faithful against the “santa muerte” cult a couple of times.

Hello there fellow RGVer. I have met the Bishop before, when our Priest was installed a couple months ago here in Weslaco San Martin de Porres. I have heard it man times thet one should stay away from the santa muerte and curanderos, but alot of folks still go.

That’s kinda like saying you understand crazy intricacies of bayou culture because you grew up in New Orleans.

The cult is amongst the poor, and lo and behold, they’re the same demographic feeding the narco industry. It IS a Mexican thing. If it weren’t, and were just some cartel deal, it wouldn’t be in the US the way it is.

These resources disagree that it’s some Kindergarten aged cult:

udlondres.com/revista_psicologia/articulos/stamuerte.htm

time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1671984,00.html

eluniversal.com.mx/notas/590196.html

I agree that it is a Mexican thing growing in popularity here in the US. My wife has family members who live in Mexico. The older generation are very devout Catholics. The younger ones in their teenage years wear the shirts and post pics on Facebook saying things like "Ella me cuida y Dios me Guia’ or some thing close which translates to “She takes care of me and God guides me” The older generation down there doesn’t approve of it but I think sometimes they dont understand the evil that the “santa muerte” stands for. They think its just a fad or something.

I have met guys here in Tx who say they talk to her daily and call her “Mi flacita” which means “My thin one”. I was pretty uncomfortable around this guy, with the narco war going on a few mile south of where I live and knowing for a fact that these cartel guys move around freely here in South Texas.

I live in sight of Mecxico, and while we have had Santeria related stuff for decades, SM did not make it's appearance until about five years ago. Since then, it has become so prevalent that Mexican authorities have had to clear it's altars from the side of the highways.

Fortunately, it's far less popular north of the US/MX border.

ICXC NIKA

I would talk to them about it. :sad_yes:

It is similar to the cult of San Juan Malverde, the supposed patron saint of drug dealers.

stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/2007/jan/24/latin_america_mexican_narcosaint

Stupid impressionable kids get sucked into this kind of thing, wear the t-shirts and put the decals on their car windows. It combines the worst aspects of drug dealing, the occult, and satanism.

[quote="PacoG, post:8, topic:274801"]
Don't tell me you're an Aggie...or worse, a Sooner?

[/quote]

The first. Sorry.

My condolences!!!

Hook em!!!

The Catholic bishops, in Mexico, and Central America have called Santa Muerte, Satanic Worship, yet the people say, no it’s catholic :shrug:

I’ve seen a bit of it out here in L.A among the El Salvadorian crowd, some Mexicans too!

Check out the priest at the 1:48 mark

youtu.be/ZgQftFWM41Q

[quote="onemangang, post:19, topic:274801"]
The Catholic bishops, in Mexico, and Central America have called Santa Muerte, Satanic Worship, yet the people say, no it's catholic :shrug:

I've seen a bit of it out here in L.A among the El Salvadorian crowd, some Mexicans too!

Check out the priest at the 1:48 mark

youtu.be/ZgQftFWM41Q

[/quote]

It's interesting that what that priest said was perfectly in line with the Bible

"Ye worship ye know not what..." —John 4:22

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.