UN: Marijuana-related health problems on rise in US

Increased pot use by Americans is partly fueled by a misperception of the health risks, the UNODC report said. It cautioned that although the public may perceive marijuana to be the least harmful of illicit drugs, there has been a noticeable increase in the number of people seeking treatment for cannabis-use disorders over the past decade.

In the U.S. from 2006 to 2010, there was a 59 percent increase in cannabis-related hospital emergency room visits and a 14 percent increase in cannabis-related treatment admissions, the report said.

Additionally, the report found that there was more tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) in seized cannabis crops in the U.S, with levels rising to 11.9 percent in 2011, from 8.7 percent in 2007. THC is the main mind-altering chemical found in marijuana.
Source

Seems likely that marijuana will continue to become more available, making these stats more relevant as time goes on.

I am guessing this is based on two people I know, because for as many people as I have known who smoke, these two hold the prize for the most problems.
It stuns me how much they smoke. And they expect someone else to pay the bills…
Always. I am surprised they haven’t attempted to procure ‘medical’ greenery…

Yeah. Now that pot is legal in my home state, lots of idiots are singing “rocky mountain high” likes it’s some sort of patriotic act. We’ve had all kinds of news stories about the problems this legalization has already caused, and much of that has been a huge increase in the numbers of reactions to the THC.

:bigyikes: Who voted for this?!?!:bigyikes:

Gertie

More of the moral decline of America.

There is a reason this and other substances became illegal.

God bless.

Amen.

The singing of “rocky mountain high” would push me over the edge because of the idocy of singing such a thing stoned. I suspect we will see continued THC reactions.
Have Mercy on us and on the whole world.
Mary.

I am really heartened by the attituted of all the posters on this thread. So many of the marijuana related threads have a majority of Catholic posters supporting its use either recreationally or as a ‘medicine’. contemptful snort.

At the moment in Aus. it is not justified by any medical value, but the fact that some US state governments have ratified its use for this reason, has strengthened the loyalty to it here as a healthy and beneficial passtime. Please God, sense will prevail. It has caused so many emotional, physical and financial trauma to our whole family by virtue of my sons belief that it is a good thing. Just the same as alcohol they say. What a lie.

This is indeed a sign of more moral decline in our nation. I have nothing against medical marijuana usage for serious health conditions only but I am totally against recreational marijuana usage.

Amen, we agree. Obamas usual plans are one of a loser and defeat, he enters the battle “first” then sets out to win. Its called pride. Thats not how a winner plays. Sorry the rhetoric here effected good people and family where you live.

I believe a good deal of us experience what you are. Often in this world those you desire to help the most we are often unable to do.

And there is a reason some of us paid attention to the anti drug commercials of the 1980s

Such as this one:

youtube.com/watch?v=3FtNm9CgA6U

There is also a LOT of tobacco and alcohol-related health problems and death in the US, but who cares about that right? :rolleyes:

Tobacco is on its way out and will eventually be to the point of virtually outright banned. My husbands father and uncles were tobacco farmers in the late 50’s up to the late 80’s. Back in the 1950’s the call for tobacco was huge and tobacco farmers were a wealthy lot. Gradually with the restrictions on cigarette smoking and the medical and cultural rejection of it, the farmers were reduced to producing only quotas which was shared around between the existing tobacco farmers. Eventually the government paid many farmers compensation for going over to other crops like pineapples, avocados and vaious vegetables… or to leave farming altogether. Gone are the years when driving into the city I live in you could literally smell fresh tobacco wafting across the fields as you went.

Smoking is banned in most commercial places now and people are frowned on for smoking anywhere near children. In my city there is a huge open air mall spanning a big tract of the CBD where smoking is banned.

There are no positive benefits whatsoever for dragging smoke into your lungs. There are only serious and costly implications for doing such a thing. In the light of this understanding of those effects and costs, why on earth would we want to introduce another addictive smoking scourge into the recreational culture?

Tobacco will never be banned as long as the federal government derives revenue from it.

Smoking is bad for you, so what? What right do you have to tell other people what they can or cannot consume?

I suspect the difference is the thread topic. Not too many people will argue that there are health problems related to marijuana, and I doubt there is much evidence contradicting this UN report that such problems are on the rise in the US, apparently in the wake of increased legalization and increased potency of the drug.

On the other hand, if the topic were what the government should do about it, or whether the use of marijuana as a medicine is justified, there would probably be a much greater diversity of posts.

Ha, Gertie…betcha I know where you live - you must be my neighbor. Have you seen the bumper sticker that reads, “The elevation isn’t the only thing high in Colorado?” :eek:

The jokes about our state are disgusting, let alone the serious reasons for concern.

:bigyikes: Who voted for this?!?!:bigyikes:

Oh we know who they are and the worst of it is, it’s all about the $$$$$$! Seen the recent figures on the tax windfall we’re getting? The health problems are hardly being considered.

The experience we have had is with a government hell bent on eradicating smoking over the last 30 or so years. Advertising around tobacco is now completely banned. Even the packaging is only allowed to have the brand in small print while the rest of the package is covered in deterrent material. Smoking related medical costs are way more draining on the government than revenue from smoking. No brainer.

"On 1 December 2012, Australia introduced groundbreaking legislation and the world’s toughest tobacco packaging warning messages to date.[7] All marketing and brand devices were removed from the package and replaced with warnings, only the name of the product remain in generic standard sized text. All tobacco products sold, offered for sale or otherwise supplied in Australia were plain packaged and labelled with new and expanded health warnings."

WARNING: The link below shows the types of packaging that is required for the sale of ALL cigarettes in Australia and is fairly gross to see.

theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/british-american-tobacco-australia-flags-cigarette-packaging-fight/story-fn59niix-1226035118041?nk=89564d9d54002b2268d99f6dcdec1cdf

Smoking is bad for you, so what? What right do you have to tell other people what they can or cannot consume?

When your habit results in massive costs from my tax dollar to look after you when you are afflicted by the well known medical results… I will have all the say I want.

I was talking about the US not Australia. Yes, the US has done the same thing concerning advertising and packaging but instead of banning tobacco they just keep raising the tax on it. That is because they derive massive revenue from the sale of tobacco. The government will not give up the revenue from tobacco easily. If they really cared about the health of their citizens then they would have just banned it. Why do they still allow it be legal?

When your habit results in massive costs from my tax dollar to look after you when you are afflicted by the well known medical results… I will have all the say I want.

Nice attitude. You have no right to tell me what I can and cannot consume.

What “massive” costs to your tax dollars are you talking about? Are you referring to taxpayer funded healthcare? If that is the case, you will be happy to know that I don’t think healthcare should be taxpayer funded in the first place.

If my choices cause me to incur medical costs, then those medical costs should be borne by me and me alone, not the rest of society.

As I said before, tobacco growing was an esteemed and profitable industry back when my father in law was doing it. It provided for a market that was completely oblivious to the true health risks involved in the passtime. It was a passtime and industry that was deeply embedded in the culture. Once the health implications became known ‘healing a wound’ of that nature could only come through a gradual unravelling of the tapestry to preserve the wellbeing of the farmers and others involved in the industry for their livelihood. Imediate prohiition was never going to be the answer.

Nice attitude. You have no right to tell me what I can and cannot consume.

What “massive” costs to your tax dollars are you talking about? Are you referring to taxpayer funded healthcare? If that is the case, you will be happy to know that I don’t think healthcare should be taxpayer funded in the first place.

If my choices cause me to incur medical costs, then those medical costs should be borne by me and me alone, not the rest of society.

Civil society demands a tax payer funded health safety net to ensure the poor are not denied a basic human right. No society could consider itself humane without that aspect. By virtue of our ties as a family of man, children of the one Father, we are compelled to take an interest in the wellbeing others and that involves contributing from our own bounty to the less fortunate and also promoting good health and condemning products that destroy health.

It still is profitable, for the government.

Civil society demands a tax payer funded health safety net to ensure the poor are not denied a basic human right. No society could consider itself humane without that aspect. By virtue of our ties as a family of man, children of the one Father, we are compelled to take an interest in the wellbeing others and that involves contributing from our own bounty to the less fortunate and also promoting good health and condemning products that destroy health.

If that safety net is provided at the cost of a loss of freedom, then no thank you.

The problem with taxpayer funded anything is that taxpayers feel they have the right to tell other people what they can or cannot do. Do you not see the problem with this?

Since I pay taxes does that mean that I get to tell people on welfare what they can or cannot do? What about single mothers on WIC? What about people that receive a mortgage or child deduction? What about students that receive government loans? What about farmers that receive farm price supports? What about people on Medicare and Medicaid? Do I get to tell the military what to do? You are headed down a very dangerous and slippery slope and it ends with fascism.

There is no justification whatsoever for people telling other people what they can or cannot do to their own bodies. You do not have that right.

And that is my problem with taxpayer funded healthcare. People think they can tell other people what to do.

I’m fine with a social safety net. I’m not fine with people telling other people what they can or cannot do to their own bodies because that safety net is taxpayer funded.

Trying to persuade people to make better decisions is Catholic. Using the government to force people to make better decisions is fascist.

If you research drug laws, you will find most were started as a way to keep certain ethnic groups out of certain areas, now they are just used as a cash cow…I watched a interview with a former narcotics officer who quit and lost all his years towards his retirement because he could not sleep at night due to his job, he described that many police forces actually rely on drug money seizures, in order to operate. I think this is main reason they enforce the drug laws so harshly, plus its great for the ‘For profit’ prison systems, what else could guarantee cells being full to capacity nearly all the time?

Im sure pot smoking does cause health problems, but so does smoking, chewing, and drinking too much booze…ask any ER staff, they will tell you how many problems alcohol causes…yet anyone over 21 can still go and buy as much as they want anytime, same with any tobacco product…We all know cigarettes are extremely dangerous, yet no new laws, no one even suggesting new laws or regulations…yet they try to create new laws regarding street drugs constantly, this makes me wonder what is truly going on.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.