UN wrongly linked global warming to natural disasters

THE United Nations climate science panel faces new controversy for wrongly linking global warming to an increase in the number and severity of natural disasters such as hurricanes and floods.

It based the claims on an unpublished report that had not been subjected to routine scientific scrutiny — and ignored warnings from scientific advisers that the evidence supporting the link too weak. The report's own authors later withdrew the claim because they felt the evidence was not strong enough.

The claim by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), that global warming is already affecting the severity and frequency of global disasters, has since become embedded in political and public debate. It was central to discussions at last month's Copenhagen climate summit, including a demand by developing countries for compensation of $100 billion (£62 billion) from the rich nations blamed for creating the most emissions.

Ed Miliband, the energy and climate change minister, has suggested British and overseas floods — such as those in Bangladesh in 2007 — could be linked to global warming. Barack Obama, the US president, said last autumn: "More powerful storms and floods threaten every continent."

Last month Gordon Brown, the prime minister, told the Commons that the financial agreement at Copenhagen "must address the great injustice that . . . those hit first and hardest by climate change are those that have done least harm".

The latest criticism of the IPCC comes a week after reports in The Sunday Times forced it to retract claims in its benchmark 2007 report that the Himalayan glaciers would be largely melted by 2035. It turned out that the bogus claim had been lifted from a news report published in 1999 by New Scientist magazine.

Read more at: timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article7000063.ece

In spite of all the contrary evidence, "global warming" will continue to be the false religion of the left.

Hiyas:)

Thank you for the link

I’ve been saying this was bunk for years but no Stan you’re stupid you don’t know what you’re talking about these people at the UN are experts and honest and love America.:rolleyes:

Sometime you just have to listen to us Polocks once in awhile.:yup:

"(Egypt) - Agriculture ruined, populations displaced, ecosystems destroyed if nothing is done to reverse the phenomenon, global warming will result in an unmitigated disaster for the fragile delta of the Nile, say local farmers and experts.

Stockroom of Egypt since ancient times, the delta that stretches from Cairo to the Mediterranean has seen the rising waters erode their lands and cultures sterilized by salt.

During the last century, sea levels raised by 20 centimeters and one meter rise enough to drown even 20% of land in the delta, according to studies.

According to a recent government report on the coast of Alexandria, second city, "a rising waters of 30 cm is expected by 2025, flooding about 200 km²" and provoking the exodus of half a million people.

By the end of the century, not less than 7 million inhabitants of the delta could well become "climate refugees". 

ennaharonline.com/en/international/2956.html

We need to take the politics out of the very real problems of human-related global climate change.

During the last century, sea levels raised by 20 centimeters and one meter rise enough to drown even 20% of land in the delta, according to studies.

The two words “raise” and “rise” are not interchangeable. :rolleyes::slight_smile:

A repost of mine

Hiyas:)

Please allow me to introduce one of my heroes.

1; She's a girl
2; She's older than me.
3; She debunked the World UN IPCC ] in 2007
4: She did it with limited resources...no grants etc

Quote:
                                             **15-Year-Old Outsmarts U.N. Climate Panel, Predicts End of Australia's Drought**

By Noel Sheppard (Bio | Archive)
Thu, 05/24/2007 - 08:56 ET

[LIST]
*] s7.addthis.com/static/btn/v2/lg-share-en.gif
*]media.eyeblast.org/newsbusters/graphics/print.png
[/LIST]

http://newsbusters.org/static/2007/05/2007-05-23Byrnes.jpgLast week, NewsBusters readers were introduced to Portland, Maine’s fabulous fifteen-year-old, Kristen Byrnes, whose website “Ponder the Maunder” marvelously takes on anthropogenic global warming myths including those being advanced by soon-to-be-Dr. Al Gore.
As will be revealed post haste, this newest – and likely youngest – member of the growing list of folks skeptical about man’s role in climate change actually walks the walk better than she talks the talk.
Yet, despite her youth and precocious scientific acumen, it seems quite unlikely that she’ll be sitting down with Matt Lauer or Diane Sawyer any time soon to discuss her research concerning one of the most popular subjects on the media’s front-burner. Why?
Because a prediction that she made last month concerning Australia's drought has marvelously borne fruit making the scientists employed by the United Nations’ Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change look a bit foolish.
To set this up, here’s what the IPCC Summary for Policymakers report released on April 7 predicted regarding Australia (emphasis added):
As a result of reduced precipitation and increased evaporation, water security problems are projected to intensify by 2030 in southern and eastern *Australia and, in New Zealand, in Northland and some eastern regions. * D [11.4]
…] **Production from agriculture and forestry by 2030 is projected to decline over much of southern and eastern **Australia
, and over parts of eastern New Zealand, due to increased drought and fire*.
About two weeks later, in an Internet discussion group which I belong to that deals exclusively with anthropogenic global warming issues, Byrnes wrote the following to an Australian participant (emphasis added, released with her permission and that of her parents):
I was just looking at my ENSO 3.4 chart when I was responding to Eduardo's email. **It looks like the ENSO has been positive for 95% of the last 6 years
. Since Austrailia [sic] experiences warm and dry conditions during positive ENSO, six years of drought would not surprise me. **But it is headed negative very quickly now, so you might want to dust off your umbrella.*
Well, just last week, there were signs from Australia that the six-year-old drought might be over. As reported by News.com.au on May 18 in an article deliciously titled “Drought Could Be Ending”:

newsbusters.org/node/12968

My suggestion: Feed the hungry... protect the environment

BUT not because of politicized "science" ?]

[quote="Beau_Ouiville, post:5, topic:184172"]
"
ennaharonline.com/en/international/2956.html

We need to take the politics out of the very real problems of human-related global climate change.

[/quote]

"Human-related global climate change"?? First of all, provide RELIABLE proof that there really is global climate change. Then, IF it's there, prove that it's caused by man.

How about paying attention to a line at the end of the article: " The complex ecosystem of the Nile, longest river in Africa, has been deeply shaken in the 60s by the construction of the Aswan dam in Upper Egypt." So, are they claiming that the problems are caused by global warming, or by the dam that was built? I guess either way, evil man is killing the earth and he must be destroyed.:rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.