Unabashedly manly-man movies (anti-PC, anti-chick flicks)

What about westerns?
I love The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly and even more Once Upon a Time in the West – I think that’s the only time Henry Fonda played a bad guy.

Rooster flicks – I love that term!

I’m an odd duck in that, while I don’t watch chick flicks, I love Jane Austen movies… but I also love a good movie with a lot of action, derring-do and explosions. And yep, on that footing, I love Ang Lee for directing both “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” and “Sense and Sensibility”.

I grew up with Westerns. Part and parcel of Saturday afternoon double features at the local theater (theatre, cinema). (Of course there were also Godzilla movies and Christopher Lee vampire movies, too. :smiley: )

The movies of my childhood back in the 50’s/60’s unabashedly portrayed manly-men as basically chivalric. Even the samurai films of Kurosawa held to this (although I didn’t see them until the 70s).

I loved Gladiator. Maximus is an honorable and chivalric manly-man. Duty. Honor. But his story is far more gritty than say Judah Ben Hur or Rodrigo Diaz de Bivar. I still love Ben Hur and El Cid but I was, what? Nine or ten when they came out?

Actually, now that I think about it, how about A Man for All Seasons? Was not St. Thomas More every bit as heroic?

Yes to all of the above! :thumbsup:

One word.

RUDY!

All my catholic Notre Dame brothers FTW!

I don’t do sports but I did watch Rudy back in the 80s. I see your point but I have a real problem with equating manhood to sports. (Boy do I know I am going to catch flak for that statement! :smiley: )

If you’re going to mention “Saving Private Ryan” then, even though it’s not a movie, I’d add “Band of Brothers.”

If you want the ultimate anti-PC movie then who can forget good ol’ Clint in “Dirty Harry.”

I think that the “Lord of the Rings” trilogy is pretty manly, too.

ChadS

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly
The Godfather I and II
Goodfellas
Apocalypto

“Lonely are the Brave”: even the title is perfect.

Just caught a wee bit of it this afternoon - The Green Beret with John Wayne.

Behine Enemy Lines
U-571
Flight of the Intruder
Bourne Identity, Supremacy, Ultimatum
Men of Honor
The Fugitive

Give me a good action movie with a cast of manly men doing manly deed and acting chivalrous and you can keep any chick flick there is (except the Jane Austen ones - but her men are manly too so that’s all right).

As for Sex and the City. Feh - bah take it away!!!

Cloverfield and The Island. Cloverfield has a lot of low frequency effects. Your house would shake like crazy if you have audiophile equipment.

Everyone has forgotten two amazing movies:
Field of Dreams
Patton

By far they are both worthy to be on the list.

Can it be a comedy like Blazing Saddles? Because that would certainly be on my list.

Rambo
High Plains Drifter
The Outlaw Josey Whales

The Villain - definitely a man’s comedy. like the stooges most men seem to like it and not many women do.

Any Bond movie is definitely a guy flick, especially the ones starring Sean Connery

I have to go with:
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Gladiator
Rocky (1-4)
Tombstone
Die Hard
El Dorado

I like movies where it doesn’t rely on violence and things blowing up, and where the men are less macho and more true men. Men that don’t believe you have to kill the bad guy to help others.

Batman Begins
The Dark Knight
Princess Mononoke. The main charactor is a guy named Ashitaka, a very heroic charactor.

And the most heroic charactor of all, one that could kick ever action hero’s butt… Atticus from To Kill a Mockingbird.

And to be fair to us “ladyfolk” that enjoy an action movie with a female hero:

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

Here are my 2 cents:

Gettysburg
The Longest Day

I can’t believe nobody has mentioned the awesome The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. I love the Catholic moment when Tuco (The Ugly) crosses himself over and over in rapid succession after viewing a dead body.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.