Unable to make Confession this weekend

I’ve gone to confession every Saturday since I was confirmed…sometimes to confess a mortal sin, other times with only venial ones. It is impossible to go today, and I do have a mortal sin on my chest. I plan to go to confess this sin as soon as possible, which will be this Wednesday. I know we’re not supposed to receive communion with a mortal sin, but I feel really bad not receiving the Eucharist at Mass tomorrow. Is there any way (other than a case if sickness, near death situation, etc) that I can still get communion? Sorry if this is a dumb question :blush:

Not unless you can call your priest and schedule a private confession time before Mass.

You know you are not REQUIRED to receive (‘get’) communion every time you attend Mass. I know you will feel ‘bad’ (and that is certainly hard on you, and I understand and sympathize) but you can make a spiritual communion and ‘offer it up’. And after you receive on Wednesday if you’re feeling like you’ve missed out, you could always go to Church on Saturday and on Sunday next week and receive both times. :slight_smile:

=beegirl;7869599]I’ve gone to confession every Saturday since I was confirmed…sometimes to confess a mortal sin, other times with only venial ones. It is impossible to go today, and I do have a mortal sin on my chest. I plan to go to confess this sin as soon as possible, which will be this Wednesday. I know we’re not supposed to receive communion with a mortal sin, but I feel really bad not receiving the Eucharist at Mass tomorrow. Is there any way (other than a case if sickness, near death situation, etc) that I can still get communion? Sorry if this is a dumb question :blush:

NO!

1Cor.11 Verses 23 to 29 "For I received from the Lord what I also delivered to you, that the Lord Jesus on the night when he was betrayed took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, “This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me.”
[25] In the same way also the cup, after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.” For as often as you eat this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until he comes. ***Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord. Let a man examine himself, and so eat of the bread and drink of the cup. For any one who eats and drinks without discerning the body eats and drinks judgment upon himself. ***

DOING SO WOULD BE AN EVEN GRAVER MORTAL SIN:eek:

Do what is RIGHT!

God Bless, Pat

Just show up at Church a little earlier and ask your priest for a confession. I don’t think he’s allowed to turn you down. If you can’t go to confession do not receive communion, the Lord would rather have you sit this communion out than receive Him in sin.

Bill’s right. If you go early enough, not three minutes before mass, but 15-20, and tell the priest you were not able to get to the scheduled confession, he will hear it if at all possible.

If it is not possible, do not receive Communion. It would be compounding what you already know to be a mortal sin. If you feel that you are scandalizing those around you by not receiving, and you shouldn’t but we are human, then go forward as usual and discreetly and humbly cross your arms over your chest, a signal to the priest to bless you, but not place the host on your tongue or in your hand. You could just stay behind in the pew and pray ardently for a spiritual communion with Our Lord.

The first time you recuse yourself from Communion, you feel like the worst sinner in the world. You feel exposed, like everyone in the church is looking at you, and that your sin has become public.

That’s not the case. You’ll soon notice – especially at the more faithful parishes – that there are a lot of people, scattered throughout the back of the church, who are staying in the pews and not receiving communion. They are sinners (like you, like everyone), and serious ones, but, by staying back from Communion, they are doing the morally right and courageous thing. They are the people Christ often said He came to save.

It is a bit harder to get through a week (or three days) without communion, but God will give you the grace you need to survive it. There’s always daily Mass once you have been through Reconciliation.

if you receive, then you will be committing another mortal sin…

**Like the others before have said, no, one may not recieve Communion while in mortal sin.

Actually, the horrible way you are feeling right now, of being separated from God, is good for you to feel. That’s what helps us the next time we are tempted to into mortal sin. We remember this horrible feeling, and knowing that if you died, would that mortal sin have been worth your soul ? Right now you know how bad an eternity without God would feel like.

Good advice was given to go to Mass way early, and hope that Father has the time to hear your Confession. If not, you just have to suck it up and wait until you can get to Confession. This is how we learn and grow.**

And you know this how?

There are several legitimate reasons a person might refrain from receiving communion that have nothing to do with their being ‘serious sinners’. Example: an hour may not have elapsed since they last ate.

Whether or not they’re allowed to is one thing, but not all priests will. I went to another parish earlier in the evening once for Confession, but the priest was a no-show. I was in the state of mortal sin and not only was I concerned about communion, I had to drive 7 hours the next day on a dangerous highway in the middle of winter. He (quite rudely) refused to hear my confession outside of his regular scheduled time for confessions (which is 30 minutes/month on some random Saturday each month.:rolleyes:).

My point? You can ask, but don’t expect the priest to hear it.

Some priest need more time to spiritually prepare for Mass. I know our pastor does’t show up until literally 3 minutes before Mass begins. He comes right after the previous mass to set up and then goes back into the rectory. He says it is too busy in the sacristy for him to adequately prepare himself. We are fortunate enough to have extra priests but they are not always around between masses since they have appointments on Sundays between masses. The best thing to do is call ahead asking if a priest can see you for confession before mass.

Well, problem solved…I just went to confession before 8:00 AM Mass (yep…getting up that early is a lot to ask of a college student, but I figured it was worth it) :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.