Unapproved aparations

I checked the “banned topics” list and I guess they’ve taken this off. But the they’re still locking topics on unapproved apparations, so please don’t turn this into an “I saw Mary” or “Who wants to go to Medjugorje with me?” thread.

Moderators, if we’re not supposed to be discussing this, I apologize, and feel free to lock the thread.

Anyway…

I want to know if someone can explain to me how the church approves apparations and what it means when they’re approved.

More specifically:

When Bernadette or the kids at Fatima or someone, when someone sees Mary, what are they supposed to do? Who do they tell?

Then what happens?

How is it approved?

What does the approval mean?

Does this infringe on the church being “apostolic,” that is, keeping strictly to the teachings of the apostles?

[quote=cardenio]When Bernadette or the kids at Fatima or someone, when someone sees Mary, what are they supposed to do? Who do they tell?
[/quote]

Their parish priest or confessor. But, In some cases, the apparation has given specific instructions regarding this.

Then what happens?

Usually people think the seer is a wacko (and usually the seer is).

How is it approved?

If the local Bishop feels there is cause for either merit or concern, he will launch an investigaion himself. As a result, he can either denounce it, remain neutral, or encoruage interest in the event. If the Bishop approves, a case may be submitted to the Holy See for more widespread approval (but if the bishop does not approve, the Holy See will never act upon it in any way).

What does the approval mean?

It means there is nothing in the revelation contrary to faith. The Faithful may believe the revelation without concern (or the Faithful are fully free to reject it also).

Does this infringe on the church being “apostolic,” that is, keeping strictly to the teachings of the apostles?

No. The revelation is strictly private (given only to the seer). God may grant anyone a private revelation. Nobody is REQUIRED to believe any private revelation (even if the Church has approved of it). The Church does NOT make an assurance that the revelation is TRUE, only that it does not CONTRADICT true teaching. These visions are not considered authoratative or infallable in any way.

closed #3

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.