Unbaptise Christian

Just wondering for those practising Christianity but yet to go for baptism, for in cases if they have commited mortal sin, does this people need a repent heart to seek God for forgiveness?? Because they are those pple who deny the acknowledge of Jesus as Savior because they claimed that they have yet to go for the baptism. Just need to gather some information, how does Catholic/other protestant view this kind of situation.

Hi,
Im not sure I understand your question, so if my answer seems wierd then I read your question wrong.:o

I was baptized as a baby in the Episcopal church, as were my kids. I accepted Jesus as my Savior 10 years ago, but I have not been baptized as a believer yet.I know to some this will sound bad but I am waiting for my children to get rebaptized as believers. The only reason I baptized them as babies is because that is how I was raised and I did it for my mom. I knew better(well at least with my son) but you tend to go with how you were raised plus I was not a strong christian at that point. I believe by me not being baptized yet I am being disobediant to God and I do need to do it. However, I do not think it will keep me out of heaven if I should die before I get baptized. Dont get me wrong I will do it ,I just would like to do it with my children at the same time. Whenever I commit sin I should alwyas ask for forgiveness. IMHO God knows I intend to be baptized but more importantly He knows my heart and that I follow Him and I believe and have faith.:smiley:

Im not sure if I answered your question. If not maybe you could clarify it for me.:o

the Catholic answer would disagree with previous poster. Catholics are not allowed to indulge in their personal preferences in this matter, they are obligated to go with Church teaching, based on scripture and the practice of the Church from the earliest times up to the present day. As St. Paul reminds us, Christians profess one Lord, one Faith and one Baptism, because Jesus said unless you are born again of water and the Holy Spirit you shall not have life within you. Catholics interpret that to mean the two sacraments of initiation, Baptism and Confirmation, which are received only once because they leave an indelible seal upon the soul.

Where in the Bible do you find this verse?

allischalmers

Ok my question is, in Asia we are born into non Christ believer’s family, thus what normally pple here does is we response to altar call that we accept Jesus Christ as our saviour however they are those that does not understand that by responding to altar call is already an acceptance of Jesus as their saviour in their life, yet they just live their life as a non believer, commiting moral sin…etc…so what i’m asking was, does this group of pple being sin be forgiven by God since we have not go for baptism. Because we can go by saying , anyway we aim Christian, so even if we sin it mean nothing to us, once we baptism then we should prevent ourselves from sinning.

Ephesians 4:4-6 and John 3:5:

…One body and one Spirit, as you were also called to the one hope of your call; one Lord, one faith, one baptism; one God and Father of all, who is over all and through all and in all.

Jesus answered, "Amen, amen, I say to you, no one can enter the kingdom of God without being born of water and Spirit.

I think I can restate your question as follows:

You have a person who goes to an “altar call” and “accepts Jesus as their Lord and Savior,” but afterwards, out of ignorance, commit mortal sins before they are baptised. Since these people could say “Well, we thought we we’re saved because we did the accepting-Jesus-as-my-personal-Lord-and-Savior thing, we would be saved anyway, especially after we eventually did get baptized and really started living as Christians.”

Is that right?

If so, I would point out that is one of the problems with the whole “altar call” thing, with people supposedly being “saved” by a simple, one time profession of faith. I read somewhere that the Billy Graham Crusade, when they make those mass “conversions” at their rallies, estimate that about 80% of those that do the altar call, eventually fall away and become non-practicing. Why is that? Because the one time profession/ once saved always saved concept is a false security. After that, there’s nothing you need to do – or not do – to assure going to heaven and avoiding hell. So you have all these people walking around who feel secure in their salvation no matter how they live.

In the early Church, it took a long time --sometimes years-- before one was allowed to join the Church. During this time of instruction, inquirers were expected to start learning to act as Christians. It was only at the end of a long period of instruction when they were allowed to be baptised and recieve the Eucharist. After that if they sinned, they were expected to go to Confession if they seriously sinned, or they could risk losing their salvation. This has been the teaching of the Church since the Apostles, and still is.

Jesus said it was necessary for us to be baptised (John 3:5). He was baptised himself as an example (Mark 1:9-11). He commanded his Church to baptise (Matthew 28:16-20). The early Church taught baptism is necessary for salvation (1 Peter 3:20-21). Nothing could be clearer than the necessity of being baptised.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.