Unborn Babies' rights

I had a discussion with my brother-in-law about abortion before dinner started. Of course I couldn’t change his mind about being “pro choice”. While saying grace I included a prayer for all the unborn babies. He commented that I was making a political statement. I said no it was not political, but moral.

I think I will include the unborn babies everytime I say grace in his company. Why not pray for our society’s most innocent?

Next prayer addition…

May our society’s most innocent, the persons that don’t have any rights in our society be given the very basic right: the right to live.

You could, but you’ve made your point. If he doesn’t buy into it what could happen is that you confirm him further into his position, and defeat the purpose by alienating him.

Certainly we all owe our unborn babies lots of prayer and whatever action we can to change the laws and to help those mothers who need support. Perhaps a resolution to pray fervently every day would better serve the unborn…and prayer for your brother-in-law.

Just a thought! :slight_smile:

I am seriously pro-life and I also agree with this post. The more loving and accepting you are able to (morally) be to him, the more likely he is to listen to you.

It might help if we defended the right to life from other perspectives in addition to the Catholic moral belief. For example, child euthanasia is now legal in the Netherlands since I believe 2004 :confused: for very ill children. msnbc.msn.com/id/6621588/ The decision of who is worthy of life and who is not may be seen as a perpetual struggle for the human race: slavery, colonialism, genocide, euthanaisa, forced sterlization, abortion, child euthanasia, death tourism, these things may all be interrelated to the human tendency to divide into in-group and out-group and benefit ourselves under the logic of “helping other people”.

I am wrong about many things and may be wrong about this as well, but right now I see the “right to privacy” in abortion as similar to the “right to property” in slavery. And the argument that unwanted babies are better off dead as similar to the argument that black people were inferior and were better off as slaves. For black people, it took a talented tenth as Booker T. Washington said, to argue for the rights of the race as a whole. Since abortion survivors are few, it may be harder to find them, but people like Gianna Jesson, giannajessen.com/ whose 17 year old parents tried to abort her, but who survied the 18 hour long saline abortion anyways with the side effect of cerebral palsy and was placed into a foster-care home, and is now a singer and pro-life Christian who has said - in abortion we talk about the rights of women, “what about my rights” might be the talented .0001%

This issue is in my prayers.

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world! For the sake of his sorrowful passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world!

O Mary, conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee and those who do not!
Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us!

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

:clapping:

I agee with everyone else on this thread. Alienating your brother-in-law cannot help. It will also hurt one of the spouses. I’m not sure on which side he’s your brother-in-law, married to your sister or your spouse’s brother.

I am reminded of something that St. Bernadette said once. She was ordered to tell a visiting bishop the story of her visions and the Lady’s messages. At the end of her story the visiting bishop did not believe her. She simply responded, “I was directed to tell you the truth, not to persuade you. Only God can do that.”

Fraternally,

JR :slight_smile:

If you are doing this specifically in his company, then it is political. Only if you would do this unconditionally would it not be political.

I wouldn’t say this is political, but doing it simply to irk your brother-in-law is certainly not in keeping wiht Christian charity. Instead of viewing him as an enemy of the unborn view him as he truly is: a poor, helpless sinner just like the rest of us. Pray for your brother-in-law and show him love, the same love necessary to save precious little babies in today’s society.

In Love.
Stephen

The website in my signature, might be of interest to you. It tells us all some steps we can take… to further the fight for Life. God bless. I think your heart is in the right place.

Instead of praying for the innocent unborn, why not pray for the women carrying them?

Although I am pro-life, the decision lies with these pregnant girls. They are the ones in need of help.

Ironically Yours, Blade and Blood

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.