Unconfirmed non-Catholic recieve first communion (restated)

Can a non Catholic go to confession and receive communion being Baptisted in another denomation?

[quote=openmind]Can a non Catholic go to confession and receive communion being Baptisted in another denomation?
[/quote]

You are talking about two different sacraments. :slight_smile:

It’s my understanding that yes, a non-Catholic could indeed go to the Sacrament of Reconcilliation (confession) BUT wouldn’t necessarily receive any sacramental grace from doing so.

And, no, a non-Catholic should not receive the Sacrament of the Eucharist (communion) because, while being the body, blood, soul and divinity of Our Lord Jesus Christ, it is also a sign that one is in full union with the teachings of the Catholic Church. There are extreme circumstances where Protestants and other non-Catholics could conceiveably receive communion, but it is ordinarily not permitted.

Here is a link with better information:
catholic.com/library/Who_Can_Receive_Communion.asp

[quote=openmind]Can a non Catholic go to confession and receive communion being Baptisted in another denomation?
[/quote]

No, it would not be appropriate.

[/quote]

A non Catholic can not or should not receive Communion in either Roman Catholic, Eastern Catholic or Eastern Orthodox churches.

Confession can be given at the discretion of the priest.

[quote=Jennifer123]You are talking about two different sacraments. :slight_smile:

It’s my understanding that yes, a non-Catholic could indeed go to the Sacrament of Reconcilliation (confession) BUT wouldn’t necessarily receive any sacramental grace from doing so.

And, no, a non-Catholic should not receive the Sacrament of the Eucharist (communion) because, while being the body, blood, soul and divinity of Our Lord Jesus Christ, it is also a sign that one is in full union with the teachings of the Catholic Church. There are extreme circumstances where Protestants and other non-Catholics could conceiveably receive communion, but it is ordinarily not permitted.

Here is a link with better information:
catholic.com/library/Who_Can_Receive_Communion.asp
[/quote]

I completely agree with all of this. I just wanted to add a few things. A lot of protestant churches actually baptize in the correct form to be a valid baptism. A non-catholic can go to RCIA classes and learn about reconciliation and Holy Communion and be accepted in to the church. They would then receive all of the graces of the church. Hope this helps.

[quote=Vicia]I completely agree with all of this. I just wanted to add a few things. A lot of protestant churches actually baptize in the correct form to be a valid baptism. A non-catholic can go to RCIA classes and learn about reconciliation and Holy Communion and be accepted in to the church. They would then receive all of the graces of the church. Hope this helps.
[/quote]

Yes - informative. Thanks!! :slight_smile:

[/quote]

reception of holy communion signifies acceptance and belief in all that the Catholic Church holds and teaches about the faith. It signifies participation in the unity-communion-established by Christ in his Church, through means of the sacraments, primarily the Eucharist. If you are not in union with the Church obviously you cannot and should not participate in the sacramental life of the Church.

By the fact that you ask the question implies you are seeking that full union. See the priest at your nearest Catholic parish today and ask how you should proceed in seeking that union. You must receive enough prepartion to know what the Catholic Church teaches, the demands of living the Catholic life, and to make a profession of faith. After that preparation you will confess the sins of your past life, receive confirmation–the completion of your baptism-- and receive first communion. the preparation will take as long as it takes, until you are ready to make that profession of faith and ask for the sacraments. See your priest today.

welcome home

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.