Under Fire for Ethics Scandal, US EPA Chief Scott Pruitt Resigns

Not sure this is what President Trump had in mind when he said he wanted to drain the swamp,…

Full disclosure: I was never a fan. But no matter what you think of his policies, you have to admit - he was the ultimate swamp creature. I can’t believe it took this long to get rid of him.

I can. I don’t think Trump responds to outside pressure and tends to dig in his heels. People knew Pruitt was ethically challenged, but I don’t think Trump cared.

Presidents have been wanting to drain the swamp before becoming president since George Washington. In May my husband and two friends from Sacramento visited the Great Dismal Swamp. The name alone was enough for me to turn a deaf ear to their encouragements to “come with” - but after they came home with net masque thingies to keep the mosquitos off their faces, there was no chance that I would be going with them.

However, my husband returned with the interesting historical tidbit that George Washington had personally participated in surveying the Great Dismal Swamp with the intention of draining it. An endeavor that obviously did not come to pass…

Maybe it is time to realize that swamps serve important ecological purposes - although the reason that Washington and his cohorts did not carry through with their swamp draining plan was because it was unprofitable. That is probably the same reason that the metaphorical swamp will also never be drained. As for Scott Pruitt, his excesses were so egregious that he seriously fouled even an imaginary swamp.

“In 1763, George Washington visited the area, and he and others founded the Dismal Swamp Company in a venture to drain the swamp and clear it for settlement. The company later turned to the more profitable goal of timber harvesting.”

O! Happy day, happy day…

I applaud Trump’s action, however, belated, to remove Pruitt.

Finally.

(Plus characters. The thing Pruitt lacks)

I thought up a good quip to follow up on your post but I figured it would get me banned :wink:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.