‘Under God’ will remain in pledge, Mass. SJC rules

The state’s highest court today rejected the proposition that the phrase “under God’’ in the Pledge of Allegiance violated the religious rights of an atheist couple whose children are students in the Acton-Boxborough Regional School District.

“We hold that the recitation of the pledge, which is entirely voluntary, violates neither the Constitution nor the statute,’’ Chief Justice Roderick Ireland wrote for the unanimous Supreme Judicial Court.

“Although this court has not been called on previously to so state, we take this opportunity to confirm what has been obvious and understood to be the case for the decades since the [1943] Barnette case was decided: no Massachusetts school student is required by law to recite the pledge or to participate in the ceremony of which the pledge is a part,’’ Irleland wrote.

bostonglobe.com/metro/2014/05/09/sjc-under-god-shall-remain-pledge-allegiance/QHm3pS2mZA1X4zm5ECfunJ/story.html

:thumbsup:

Jim

Why not just give children the choice to say “under God” or “under Allah” or nothing? (Or any other tasteful alternative)

Why make the pledge of allegiance something divisive rather than unitive?

Why not say minority rules the majority?

As the ruling states, it is optional for the individual to say it, or not say it.

The decision was made from a lawsuit by atheists who wanted the words, :“Under God,” prohibited by law.

Jim

:thumbsup:

Good decision! :):thumbsup::bounce::yup::clapping:

For once a sane judge:thumbsup:

Nice for a change, indeed.

But they are explicitly asked to say it. (And see what happens if they try to exercise their ‘right’ to alter or omit it!)

Would it not be far more inclusive if the text students were asked to recite explicitly included the alternatives? Should the pledge not represent the whole country, not just the dominant faction? Why should the Government even ask children to affirm one religious viewpoint, even if it does not punish them if they do not comply?

Praise The Lord.

If we take “under God” out of the pledge, more people are alienated than if it remains in. As a Christian it is my joyful duty to remember that this nation is subject to God. I have no desire to recite a pledge that glorifies a secular state without giving thanks to the God.

Oh, how oppressed are we, that we are forced to say this voluntary oath!

Oh wait…

Your link isn’t part of this MA court decision today.

Again, it’s optional to say the pledge of allegiance or not to. It’s optional for the student to say Under God, Under Allah or not to say it at all.

The case was a lawsuit by atheist in an attempt to remove God all together from the Pledge Of Allegiance.

I’m glad the court sided with the majority and not the bitter minority.

Jim

The way it was originally written is “under God”. Why should it change? People come to this country and want to become citizens and then change everything about it so its not the same country is just non-sense. I suppose that’s the agenda in the first place. :rolleyes: If people don’t like it, then leave! I have that same choice if I don’t like the way something is going as well as you do. Right? These people should either suck it up and live with it or be gone.

Incorrect. It existed for more than half a century without it.

People come to this country and want to become citizens and then change everything about it so its not the same country is just non-sense. I suppose that’s the agenda in the first place. :rolleyes: If people don’t like it, then leave! I have that same choice if I don’t like the way something is going as well as you do. Right? These people should either suck it up and live with it or be gone.

You don’t know how ironic that paragraph is now. I suppose you would have told the Knights of Columbus to leave the country? :stuck_out_tongue:

mea culpa! Thanks for pointing that out. It’s been that way since 1954 so its been around for over a half century with it! :slight_smile: Why does it need to change now?

Not sure exactly what you’re referring to with the KofC as I’m not a member, nor do I plan to be. Nothing against the organization. I know some of the history but haven’t studied it all. Are you referring the anti-Catholic environment/ sentiment of the time?

Bottom line in this situation, the Atheists lost. Christians have lost many battles (legal and political) over the years. Around and around we go! :rolleyes:

Many kids in schools these days skip the part of “under God” and either remain silent or add the words “United”. I guess that works.

The Atheists and Cultural Marxists won’t rest until our culture and our society becomes completely degenerate, decadent, and destroyed.

No, I just meant that the Knights of Colombus were behind the inclusion of the words “under God” in the pledge. They led the rally to add it.

No, originally written with the “under god” phrasenot. The Pledge of Allegiance was originally composed in 1892 by Francis Bellamy without the phrase “under god.” It was not until 1948 that someone first proposed adding the words “under god” to the Pledge.

Regardless, why should the government ask children to affirm the religious position of one faction of the population? Shouldn’t children be free from the government pressuring them to take one position or another on a religious matter?

I certainly do not want the government pressuring children to take one position or another on religion.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.