Underage and away at college, parents told me to drink every now and then to make sure I don't get too stressed out

Try and keep up!:wink:

I would go with no. I assume they weren’t “ordering” you to drink, but using it more of a recommendation. It’s certainly different than your parents saying, “eat your vegetables.” Either don’t say anything to them about it at all, or explain to them that you are uncomfortable breaking the law and would prefer to wait until you turn 21.

Is it the most horrible thing in the world? Probably not. I commend you for not drinking up until now in a college environment, if you haven’t. While I personally am pretty against alcohol use in any setting, I accept that it is accepted in society and is generally not considered a sin in moderation.

Knowingly disobeying the law and drinking before you are 21, however, would be a sin.

“Make sure you drink your whiskey, son. Hard liquor makes for an easy life.” :thumbsup:

Yikes. NOT true! :slight_smile:

It seems like a strange thing for parents to say. In any case, obey the law in the region where you are, and find ways to relax that don’t have the potential to ruin your health.

Going for a walk is a good way to relieve stress. Get enough sleep every night, eat healthy food at regular intervals, associate with people who are kind and generous, make sure you have everything you need to complete your work, and work every day on your assignments; don’t procrastinate. Keep your focus on your main goal, and be sure to go to Mass every Sunday to give thanks for the good things God has given you, and to pray for your needs and the needs of those around you.

[quote="JayMekk, post:1, topic:321568"]

Underage and away at college, parents told me to drink every now and then to make sure I don't get too stressed out

Would I be committing sin? I know it's sin to break the law, and I am only 20 years old turning 21 in 2 months however I should listen to my parents right? Of course I don't mean getting drunk or going to parties. Just sitting down relaxing, watching TV and drinking a little with a friend and then just going back to my apartment.

[/quote]

Hiya,

I don't think your parents are advising you to break the law, or to use alcohol as stress-relief.

I think they are giving you gentle encouragement to enjoy all aspects of your college life and your new adulthood (turning 21). With age comes new experiences, freedoms and responsibilities. They are just advising you to remember to occasionally make some time to relax, or to see friends - its nice to get away from the books for a while, now and again!

"All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" as the old saying goes.

Studying is tough, and should be the most important priority for you, but its healthy to have a night off now and again, to have fun and recharge your batteries. That's all.

In many ways college is the best days of your life. In addition to a good education, your parents want you to enjoy this period of your life too. You are at the perfect point of being a youthful and carefree adult, but not yet with the responsibilities of a family etc. The world is your oyster. Enjoy it! Fill your head with the college subjects that interest you, apply yourself and do your best, work and travel in your term holidays, try new things, make friends, have a beer*.

(*sure, American beer doesn't even get you drunk - I know, since the time I found myself wholly impervious to nearly all available alcohol in Florida).

I remember in 1995 when I went to University, in the 1st year a few people span out of control - always at the bar / clubs etc, never at the library - but most people got the balance right. Studies are always the priority, but do not close yourself away and wholly neglect other aspects of life. We often make life-long friends at that stage of life, develop new interests, find a husband or wife, even.

Maybe they phrased it badly, but I am 100% positive your parents are just advocating that you enjoy your time at college responsibly. I think they are also trying to indicate to you that they realise the significance of this 21st birthday and accordingly they are comfortable with the idea of you having a beer with friends occasionally. Ie they don't want you worrying what they will think, and they trust you to behave responsibly.

:thumbsup:

Same boat, I’m 20 and have spent a fair number of nights in drunkenness and reveling, which is a mortal sin. Having a few beers with your buddy is definitely not a sin. As far as obeying the law, well its legal for abortions and putting people to death so should we just be O.K. with that? Jesus himself drank. Obedience to your parents is specifically stated in the commandment whereas obedience to legal authority is not. Everything in moderation.

The verses requiring obedience to lawful authority have already been quoted in this thread. Alcohol in and of itself is not always sinful, but Prudence is always a virtue, and it is prudent to obey the law in the place where you live, even if it is unreasonable, as long as it does no harm. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.