Underground temples "eighth wonder of the world"

I have just heard about this “temple” complex that a group of Italians has been working on since the mid 70’s.

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-495538/Eighth-wonder-world-The-stunning-temples-secretly-carved-ground-paranormal-eccentric.html;jsessionid=82CC87C4CA7F3AB28E9B4CC83E166657

**the ‘Temples of Damanhur’ are not the great legacy of some long-lost civilisation, they are the work of a 57-year-old former insurance broker from northern Italy who, inspired by a childhood vision, began digging into the rock.

It all began in the early Sixties when Oberto Airaudi was aged ten. From an early age, he claims to have experienced visions of what he believed to be a past life, in which there were amazing temples.

Around these he dreamed there lived a highly evolved community who enjoyed an idyllic existence in which all the people worked for the common good.

More bizarrely still, Oberto appeared to have had a supernatural ability: the gift of “remote viewing” - the ability to travel in his mind’s eye to describe in detail the contents of any building.

“My goal was to recreate the temples from my visions,” he says.**

A little research brings up a link to the Damanhurian website, describing the group as an “eco-society based on ethical and spiritual values”.

damanhur.org/

I would greatly appreciate a Catholic perspective on all this. As a lapsed Catholic attempting to re-strengthen myself in the faith I have some pretty good notions about how a Catholic would respond to this, since in all the pictures of the complex I saw nothing that would indicate any particular god, much less God, being worshipped, and given what I have read about the organization responsible for this “temple” complex, it appears that they are more or less just hippies running a commune.

What do you think?

There’s no such thing as reincarnation, so this person didn’t have a “past life.”

What he is claiming to be able to do and see is nothing more than what Orthodoxy calls “prelest”–spiritual delusion.

They’ve been around for 30 years so I guess for hippies that’s pretty good. Yep, it seems to be a pantheistic commune, although perhaps a bit more ambitious than most. Heck, they have their own money system!
damanhur.org/index.php/economic-vision-a-credito/1275-the-credit

very interesting. i can’t believe this man did this.

i don’t know if i would consider them the 8th wonder of the world.

Article is from 2007

News stories should be recent

Thread closed

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.