Undersea Volcano Erupts Off Tonga Coast

This is a very short article, but it contains two fairly good pictures, “Nature’s Fury Unleashed” and “Blowing Their Tops.”

"Undersea Volcano Erupts Off Tonga Coast

NUKU’ALOFA, Tonga (March 18) - An undersea volcano erupted off the coast of Tonga shooting clouds of smoke, steam and ash thousands of feet into the sky above the South Pacific ocean, officials said Wednesday."…

Source and full article: news.aol.com/article/undersea-tonga-volcano/386757

i think volcanoes are cool. really amazing that this erupted in the ocean.

they had said the volcano in alaska had calmed down a week or so ago and then i heard again a few days ago that they were on alert.

i think there is also a volcano in chile that is causing worry.

did they know this volcano off the coast of tonga was about to erupt? i would think there could have been danger of boats or ships in the area, not to mention airplanes.

Volcanos are amazing. To think that a major eruption of a “sleeping giant” could affect those living on the opposite side of the earth is amazing. And a little scary. Maybe a lot scary. Still fascinating, though.

I think an eruption in Tonga happens fairly routinely and is not unexpected. Here is a link to another article:

msnbc.msn.com/id/29769097

thanks for the link. very interesting. my son and daughter-in-law lived in hawaii for awhile and when i would go visit, all i could think of was that the islands were formed by volcanoes. kind of unnerving.

i checked the link on the 8 most dangerous volcanoes. one came to life after being dormant for 9,000 years!!!

looks like we still need to keep our eyes to mt. redoubt.

I guess you mean this link? msnbc.msn.com/id/25499980/?GT1=43001&pg=1#Tech_8Volcanoes

It wasn’t up when I posted my link earlier or I missed it. Thanks for letting me know to check back. Pretty interesting, but scary too.

yes, that is the link. i first read the link you had in your other post and in that link was a link to the 8 most dangerous volcanoes in the world.

i just read on the drudge report that a 7.9 magnitude earthquake has also struck in the area near the coast of tonga and a tsunami warning has been issued.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.