Understandable Sins

Is it wrong that certain sins seems to understandable? Adam and Eve’s sin - I understand it. Who does not want to know what is forbidden for them? I do not understand why this sin is irreversible. Are other sins passed down from generation to generation? Peter denying Christ three times. I would have been scared of being crucified. I do not understand Judas betraying Christ for 30 pieces of silver - greed is not my thing. I also do not understand why the disciples did not think Jesus would resurrect - He walked on water and healed lepers. The Israelites being impatient or upset with God. I just do not understand God most of the time. He wants us to be patient and understand Him. If I keep thinking about it, it sort of drives me nuts. I should be more joyful and grateful. Maybe in the end, we will all day one day understand. No matter how good we are, we are not good enough.

Hi Cratus,

I think as fallen human beings, we can always rationalize a lot of things that aren’t good. For instance, a lot of people sincerely mean well when they push for the acceptance of euthanasia. After all, there are a lot of people suffering from horrible diseases or disabilities. Reading about their plights are heartbreaking. However, although we can sympathize and have compassion, an informed conscience would hopefully direct us to more compassionate responses other than death. I think there is a difference between understanding the reasons that can cause a person to sin and accepting/condoning it as the right choice.

Btw, you ask many good questions in your posts. I was wondering if I could suggest a book for you. I’ve been reading The Miracle Ship by Brian O’Hare. I think you would enjoy it!

Hope you have a blessed Christmas!

For Adam and Eve it was the sin of disobedience.
For Peter it was the sin of denying truth of being a follower of Jesus
For Judas it was the betrayal of the Son of God

We don’t know if they asked for forgiveness because we were not there. Peter did as far as we know. Compassion is good, but I am not sure we can claim to understand sin. Peace.

I’m guessing Adam and Eve had their Purgatory on Earth spending their days remembering the Garden of Eden.

My Protestant friend says Peter’s sin and Judas’ sin is the same. How can betraying Jesus into the hands of the enemy be the same as Peter’s denial?

Peter and Judas’s sins are in the same category: apostasy - a violation of the 1st Commandment and Jesus’s commandment to “Love the Lord your god will all your heart, with all your mind, with all your soul and with all your strength”. Judas’s sin is naturally more serious, its a matter of extent. Actions will almost always be a more serious matter than words. Further, Peter repented whereas Judas exacerbated his crimes by killing himself, in itself a mortal sin.

The idea of inheriting punishment is in scripture.

Exodus 346 So the LORD passed before him and proclaimed: The LORD, the LORD, a God gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in love and fidelity,*
7 continuing his love for a thousand generations, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion, and sin; yet not declaring the guilty guiltless, but bringing punishment for their parents’ wickedness on children and children’s children to the third and fourth generation!

I think there is no expectation that everyone will understand God with natural reason. Some people never attain the use of reason. In heaven we may see God with the Beatific Vision.

The Catechism has:412 But why did God not prevent the first man from sinning? St. Leo the Great responds, “Christ’s inexpressible grace gave us blessings better than those the demon’s envy had taken away.” 307 And St. Thomas Aquinas wrote, “There is nothing to prevent human nature’s being raised up to something greater, even after sin; God permits evil in order to draw forth some greater good. Thus St. Paul says, ‘Where sin increased, grace abounded all the more’; and the Exsultet sings, ‘O happy fault,. . . which gained for us so great a Redeemer!’” 308

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.