Understanding Islam's teachings.

I do not post this to be offensive. I saw this on a website and it made me think, what-if?

What if my Bible contained the following verses. As a Muslim, would you find them distasteful?

[list]
*]We will cast terror into the hearts of Muslims. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them.
[/list]

[list]
*]Let not the non-Muslims take for friends or helpers the Muslims.
*]Rouse the non-Muslims to the fight against Muslims.
*]Then fight and slay the Muslims wherever ye find them.
*]Fight the Muslims, and God will punish them by your hands, cover them with shame.
*]ye the non-Muslims take not for protectors your fathers and your brothers if they love Islam.
*]ye the non-Muslims! Truly the Muslims are unclean.
*]ye non-Muslims! fight the Muslims who gird you about, and let them find firmness in you.
*]Therefore, when ye meet the Muslims, smite at their necks; At length.
[/list]

[quote=iamrefreshed]I do not post this to be offensive. I saw this on a website and it made me think, what-if?

What if my Bible contained the following verses. As a Muslim, would you find them distasteful?

[list]
*]We will cast terror into the hearts of Muslims. Therefore strike off their heads and strike off every fingertip of them.
[/list]

[list]
*]Let not the non-Muslims take for friends or helpers the Muslims.
*]Rouse the non-Muslims to the fight against Muslims.
*]Then fight and slay the Muslims wherever ye find them.
*]Fight the Muslims, and God will punish them by your hands, cover them with shame.
*]ye the non-Muslims take not for protectors your fathers and your brothers if they love Islam.
*]ye the non-Muslims! Truly the Muslims are unclean.
*]ye non-Muslims! fight the Muslims who gird you about, and let them find firmness in you.
*]Therefore, when ye meet the Muslims, smite at their necks; At length.
[/list]
[/quote]

Might bug me a bit, good thing the exact opposites are in the qur’an, once you put them in context with the parts before them.

Wow, the qur’an is a beautiful book.

By the way, once you post these references in the qur’an, post the numbers of the suras and ayats.

Thanks.

[quote=Eetaq]Might bug me a bit, good thing the exact opposites are in the qur’an, once you put them in context with the parts before them.

Wow, the qur’an is a beautiful book.

By the way, once you post these references in the qur’an, post the numbers of the suras and ayats.

Thanks.
[/quote]

Eetaq. I did not want to post the REAL Sura’s because I did not want to imply that my posting was taken from the Qur’an.

I only wanted for Muslim’s to see what a non-Muslim sees when reading the TRUE Sura (out of context, of course;) )

Iamrefreshed the Bible does contain many violent verses. I posted them a while back on this forum but unfortunately they were deleted. I posted them to show that I can easily take a verse out of the Bible and say this is what Christianity is all about. That however would be unfair and the same applies to the Quran. As for a non-Muslim if that is all he sees and hears about the Quran and Muslims I understand his confusion and fear. However everyone has a brain and they have to use it. These verses when taken in context can easily be understood (and I can do that for you if you wish).

[quote=Emad]Iamrefreshed the Bible does contain many violent verses. I posted them a while back on this forum but unfortunately they were deleted. I posted them to show that I can easily take a verse out of the Bible and say this is what Christianity is all about. That however would be unfair and the same applies to the Quran. As for a non-Muslim if that is all he sees and hears about the Quran and Muslims I understand his confusion and fear. However everyone has a brain and they have to use it. These verses when taken in context can easily be understood (and I can do that for you if you wish).
[/quote]

Hello Emad. May God look down on you in favor. As I stated, I only posted this so that a Muslim would see how a non-Muslim may see Islam. It it for your benefit. Really.

I understand what you say about violent passages in the Bible. I do.

To address “in context” I would ask that Muslim’s put the same effort into understanding the Trinity. Fair is fair. They may just be concepts neither can understand ( I pray God may supress my pride enough to see your point).

When you really think about it from the others perspective you can see why we are so far apart. No?

[quote=iamrefreshed]Hello Emad. May God look down on you in favor. As I stated, I only posted this so that a Muslim would see how a non-Muslim may see Islam. It it for your benefit. Really.

I understand what you say about violent passages in the Bible. I do.

To address “in context” I would ask that Muslim’s put the same effort into understanding the Trinity. Fair is fair. They may just be concepts neither can understand ( I pray God may supress my pride enough to see your point).

When you really think about it from the others perspective you can see why we are so far apart. No?
[/quote]

Thank you for your prayer and kind words. Yes I understand what you are trying to say. You said you only posted this so that a Muslim can see how many non-Muslims see Islam. To be truthful I don’t think you needed to post it because as Muslims we see it everyday. Whenever we speak to anyone about Islam that is all they seem to know and it can be very frustrating. I have tried to understand the Trinity and failed. There are many Christians who themselves say that the Trinity is something one can’t fully understand and that you just have to accept it or that you will understand it after you accept it and the Holy Spirit enters your heart. However these verses in the Bible and the Quran can both be understood when taken in context. The trinity is something totally different.

Many non-Muslims try to understand these verses before even understanding the basics of Islam such as the five pillars and the basic beliefs. If someone wants to learn something he should start from the basics. I say the same about Islam, before someone wants to know about Islamic laws and politics he should learn the basic beliefs that Islam is based on.

I am very happy you opened this thread. However the teachings of Islam are a lot more than what you mentioned. Islam teaches us to worship no one but God, to be kind to our parents and neighbors, to be kind to all creation, to be just even if it is against ourselves, to give charity etc. It is very sad that all many or most non-Muslims know about Islam is what they hear on TV. I blame first the Muslims for not teaching the non-Muslims, and second I blame the non-Muslims for not taking it upon themselves to study Islam and not just accept what they hear about it.

May God guide us to see the truth in things. :slight_smile:

I agree Emad. Education is key. We are in similar positions. I have been shunned for being Catholic. I heard one sermon where the priest mentioned a mother pulling her child from where a priest was walking through an airport. Did he deserve that? No.

As far as the post is concerned I think that maybe it did need to be posted. This was the first time I have heard any Muslim say, “yes I see how it would sound” rather than “you are taking it out of context”.

Thanks.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.