Understanding the Sin of Pride

I am interested in hearing of others regarding the Sin of Pride. I have a good understanding of it, but I am confused as to when we become prideful of our accomplishments and possessions. We often say to people, "I am really proud of you" and that generally raises their self esteem and makes them feel gratification. However, shouldn't we say, "I am really pleased with you"? (And you could apply this to award ceremonies.) When one gets awarded, the speaker of the event normally tells us to thank our parents and such or whoever helped us reach our goal, but not God?

Secondly, we often see those commercials of people saying they are "Proud to own X possession. They might not be subject to the Sin of Avarice unless they become really attached to the item, but how are they not entering the Sin of Pride?

I also noticed a website saying ANY satisfaction of an experience, activity or possession mostly means you are prideful. If this is certainly true, then shouldn't we be dissatisfied with everything? And are we wrong to place part of our trust in our possessions? (example: We trust that our car will get us to work)

The opposite of pride is humility.

This is what I believe. There is nothing wrong with having things or have knowledge, degrees etc. But when you use these things to make yourself feel superior to others, then it is prideful.

You can have all these things and still be humble about it. The only approval people need is the approval of God. Your self esteem should not come from awards, recognition etc. If you get these things, it is how you handle these externals that would make you prideful. A secure humble person in God does not need these things, or the appproval of other persons.

A perfect example of humility is Mother Teresa.

So getting a promotion from a boss should not raise our self esteem? Or if it does, we should remember God gave us the promotion?

All pride is rooted in our desire to be God, or to be God's equal. Satan is the perfect example of pride.

The sin of pride is our refusal to admit that we are weak, sinful and in need of God.

These are from an excellent article on pride at sunday.niedziela.pl/artykul.php?dz=wiara&id_art=00072

-Tim-

If you are humble, nothing can touch you-neither praise or disgrace, because you know who you are. If you are blamed, you will not be discouraged. If anyone calls you a saint, you will not put yourself on a pedestal–

Quote from Mother Teresa

[quote="TimothyH, post:4, topic:337500"]
All pride is rooted in our desire to be God, or to be God's equal. Satan is the perfect example of pride.

The sin of pride is our refusal to admit that we are weak, sinful and in need of God.

These are from an excellent article on pride at sunday.niedziela.pl/artykul.php?dz=wiara&id_art=00072

-Tim-

[/quote]

Thanks Tim, that article answered all my questions. :)

My personal feeling is that there is a difference between self respect which comes from a humble recognition of successes due to hard work or scholarship and pride. If your successes are recognised as coming from your co operation with God's plan for you, pride has little place in your life. It would be unrealistic not to be pleasantly gratified by other's praise or bestowal of some well deserved honour. I think some posters move to an un-natural scrupulosity in condemning every normal human emotion. Let God decide something!

A good example of "Pride" is the New Age spirituality that is so commonplace today. If you look at all these kinds of beliefs, you can see that they all have in common the (conscious or unconscious) desire to become god. That's pride. That's not the same as deriving enjoyment out of your accomplishments or possessions.

Pride is a capital sin, which means that while it may sometimes be sinful on itself, it intrinsically isn't. What makes something a capital sin is the certain result that is we hang onto one the capital sins, some actual and mortal sin will come up.

Let's take pride as an example... Imagine that you have excessive pride on yourself, and someone knocks at you door and says "please sir, you must help me!" and in your thoughts you say "I'm more important than you, I don't need to help you", or "don't come here asking for the money I worked for, just because I earn more than you", or "I've done more accomplishments than you, that makes me superior to you" and you refuse to help and ask the neighbor to go away.

This is what pride means in the sense of being a capital sin (or at least it has been what I understood of it, and used in my Christian apologies). Pretty much like greed, gluttony, sloth, lust, etc. those are things that most likely you still have due to natural impulses that will cause trouble if you hang onto them and you can't really suppress them completley, but rather re-wire yourself (going to need quite a bit of prayer and allowance to change yourself to the Holy Spirit for that, not the easiest thing to do) to have humility to suppress pride, charity to suppress greed, so on and so forth. :thumbsup:

For the most part this discussion hasn’t really hit on the essence of pride. Most people break what they think of as silly rules or laws. This shows a deep seated attitude of superiority which is the sin of pride. We say to ourselves that we don’t need to follow the rules; they’re for the other people. When we are running late and speed on the roadways, we commit the sin of pride. We don’t need to hurry because we made choices that made us late. The need to hurry is artificial but we treat it as though it were real. Every time we place ourselves above the rest of society we commit the sin of pride. Road rage is an extreme example of pride.
Think you shouldn’t have to pay taxes for some reason? Pride.
Think you don’t have to stop for the “STOP” sign because it’s three in the morning? Pride.
Drive past a line of cars exiting the freeway and cut in just before the ramp? Pride.
Pushing in front of people at the checkout at the mall? Pride.
Interrupting a conversation? Pride.
Every time you place your own interest before others, you commit the sin of pride.
We are permitted awareness of superior execution of skills and talents. We are not permitted to think ourselves privileged because of our skills, talents and accomplishments.

Reb Levi

[quote="drafdog, post:10, topic:337500"]
For the most part this discussion hasn't really hit on the essence of pride. Most people break what they think of as silly rules or laws. This shows a deep seated attitude of superiority which is the sin of pride. We say to ourselves that we don't need to follow the rules; they're for the other people. When we are running late and speed on the roadways, we commit the sin of pride. We don't need to hurry because we made choices that made us late. The need to hurry is artificial but we treat it as though it were real. Every time we place ourselves above the rest of society we commit the sin of pride. Road rage is an extreme example of pride.
Think you shouldn't have to pay taxes for some reason? Pride.
Think you don't have to stop for the "STOP" sign because it's three in the morning? Pride.
Drive past a line of cars exiting the freeway and cut in just before the ramp? Pride.
Pushing in front of people at the checkout at the mall? Pride.
Interrupting a conversation? Pride.
Every time you place your own interest before others, you commit the sin of pride.
We are permitted awareness of superior execution of skills and talents. We are not permitted to think ourselves privileged because of our skills, talents and accomplishments.

Reb Levi

[/quote]

Thanks, definitely an interesting way to look at Pride. What about these scenarios:

1) A person takes Pride in their new car by having it waxed once a week to drive. They don't suffer the Sin of Avarice because they know their car came from God and can easily give it up. The owner has it waxed to show God that he takes car of his possessions. Is this a valid example of the Sin Of Pride?

2) Someone living in a gated community. Most are secluded from other homes. Couldn't a person still buy a gated community home and not see themselves as superior?

I don’t believe God cares if the car is waxed. What is the status of your soul?

Someone living in a gated community to protect his family: his kids grow up and out, his wife dies. He doesn’t care where he lives and likely wishes to join her in the next world.

These are all trivialities; all things rust and turn to dust. Your soul is eternal.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.