Understanding the Spirit

I know exactly one homosexual. He is not Catholic but he claims faith in Jesus. He believes that Jesus accepts him the way that he is. He is totally OK with being homosexual and considers it a valid lifestyle choice. He also believes that he was born that way and his earliest sexual memories are of desire for boys. He thinks it’s genetic, and more than that, he wants it to be something that is beyond reproach. I’ve known this guy for 20 years. I knew him before he came out of the closet. He has been a good friend. This post isn’t really about him though I just wanted to express that my knowledge of the homosexual mind is limited to this one man.

My curiosity is about homosexuals who consider this a burden and wish they were not homosexual. I’d like to know about their mind, body, and spirit harmony. I wonder if their problem is not so different from other problems that people face such as trying to avoid masturbation and fornication.

Two parts of the mind, body, and spirit relationship I think I understand, but not well. I have been classifying homosexuality, fornication, and masturbation all as desires of the body or “flesh” if I were reading from the apostle Paul. There’s a bit more to it than that though. My friend, that I mentioned above, also desires this with his mind, which I will refer to as the intellect. His intellect is in harmony with his body. He was not persuaded by the text of the bible or the warnings from many Christians. A homosexual who is against his fleshly desires is at odds with himself intellectually. The same is true of the many who post here about their difficulties with masturbation.

Intellectual and fleshly desires are easy to understand because I understand what it means to think and to will something and I know what it means to feel pleasure. The big question mark for me is, what is spirit and how does it relate to the mind and body and how is it different from the body and mind? I think if I could understand what exactly is spirit then many mysteries would be revealed to me. Also, if I could understand spirit, then I might have something intelligent to say to people who are dealing with a situation where the intellect and body are at odds with each other. Understanding spirit is a key I am looking for. Any help appreciated.

This isn’t really what you’re after, but I did want to throw in :twocents:, if that’s OK. :slight_smile:

I am straight, but I have a number of friends who are homosexual. Some of them are Christians who believe that being attracted to people of the same sex is disordered, are celibate, and live chastely. Though it is sometimes difficult, however, they do not view their condition exclusively as a “burden” or “struggle.” They also view it as an opportunity for growth in virtue and holiness. Their circumstances are not my own, but I think I can also understand this.

I don’t know Aaron Saunderson-Cross, but to some extent his words echo those of my friends:

[quote=Aaron Saunderson-Cross]I am a gay, celibate, Roman Catholic man. I love God, His only-begotten Son Jesus Christ and his glorious Virgin Mother Mary who sits enthroned in Heaven. I love the Church, her Sacraments, the Pope and the Saints, and I cannot think of myself other than as a Catholic. I have no desire to dissent from or undermine the teachings of the Church which I consider to be revealed by God Himself.

I do however feel that the Church has an endemic issue with language and I feel that the language used to articulate the particular experiences of and existence of gay people in the Church is seriously problematic, scandalous even to the very person of gay Catholics…

It is my belief that gay people in the Church shouldn’t simply put up with and accept the teachings of the Church but should own it for themselves and preach it in their own language. If we’re going to convince other gay people of the truth and grace of the Catholic faith then we need our own language with which to do it. Sadly gay people tend to lack subjectivity in the Church, being relegated to those ‘suffering’ or ‘struggling’ or victims of a ‘condition’: all of which disenfranchises gay Catholic people and their experiences. I don’t know about you but the thing I struggle with most is having to listen to others bemoan my ‘condition’!
[/quote]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.