Undocumented students find refuge, support at Catholic colleges

WASHINGTON (CNS) – Fifteen years ago, the president of Dominican University, just outside Chicago, thought comprehensive immigration reform was right around the corner.

That’s when the university began financially supporting undocumented students simply because, as Donna Carroll put it: “It was the right thing to do.”

“I assumed that by the time these students were juniors or seniors this would all be sorted out,” the university president said. But now, as the path to citizenship for these students remains unclear, she said she’s discouraged by how “protracted and prolonged the immigration process is.”

catholicnews.com/data/stories/cns/1403709.htm

The path to citizenship is far from unclear. You start by applying at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country of origin. This is no different than any other country. I certainly might have a better standard in Switzerland but let’s see how far I would get by overstaying a visa or sneaking over the border.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.