Unforgivable sin ?= total rejection of creation?

This in no way is meant to deny of exclude the common interpretations of the unforgivable sin and is not meant as an alternative but as a corollary.

Gen. 1:2 “And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.”

Gen 2:7 “And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.”

(note purely for sake of completeness that the word breath used in 2:7 can also be translated spirit, though probably not Spirit [capital S])

I didn’t really need these verses (especially the second) for the question, but I thought they added an interesting thought to things.

Now the question is this: The unforgiveable sin is (along or apart from traditional interpretations) denying the role of God as creator. I don’t want to get into the philisophical reasoning as to why this may be, but I am sure someone may post their own idea about that. Evolutionary creation is fine, but to believe that the world came to be completely without God is to blaspheme against the Spirit and is unorgiveable.

I think there is an underlying logic there. The Gospel warns against speaking against the Holy Spirit (MT 12:31-32).

A Sin against the Holy Spirit? WHat is it? Well- what is the role of the HS. You point to the spirits role in creation (the spirit moved upon the face of the waters). Therefore - logically - a sin against the HS is a sin against creation - the sin of denying the creator.

I prefer, however - whilst adopting your underlying logic - to take another aspect of the HS - namely its role in communicating God’s will. The light breeze in which God speaks. Bearing this in mind THE sin against the HS is the sin of putting ones hands over ones ears and going “nah nah nah nah - not listening not listening not listening”.

Or… following the same logic - consider the HS’s role in the Trinity (if that’s not a heretical thing to say??? - might well be!!)

Perhaps I should try and phrase that a bit more carefully… If we reflect upon and meditate upon the Holy Spirit as the third person of the Trinity we may have more of an understanding of the enigma - the enigma of MT 12:31-32

And so I tell you, every human sin and blasphemy will be forgiven, but blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. And anyone who says a word against the Son of man will be forgiven; but no one who speaks against the Holy Spirit will be forgiven either in this world or in the next.

Good question.

… or maybe…

(this thread’s really got me thinking)

… maybe the correct way to read MT 12:31-32 is to see it as a kind of Tautology. Those who are saved are those who have life in the spirit. A sin against the Holy Spirit is a rejection of that life.

In answer to your poll / quesiton - perhaps one should not try and isolate a particular sin as the sin of MT 12:31 - but rather see MT 12:31-32 as a general exhortation to an inner life - a spiritual life - which in its way ties in with the previous posts of this thread - that underlying logic.

We are called to be temples of the Holy Spirit - therefore a sin against this is a life lived externally. A life devoid of the spiritual.

The unforgivable sin appears to be a net rejection of the wooing of the Holy Spirit by the time of the end of one’s life, so that one goes to Hell.

But isn’t THE unforgivable sin the “rejection” of the Holy Spirit, thereby achieving condemnation to eternity without the Holy Spirit, therefore without God, therefore in Hell? Rejection of the Holy Spirit can be blasphemy against the Holy Spirit or simply denial of the Holy Spirit or outright rejection (i.e. one believes in the Holy Spirit but simply chooses to reject the Holy Spirit?)

I had always heard that the unforgivable sin is the sin of unrepentance because it is in its nature unforgivable.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.