Unforgivable sin

What is an example of a sin against the holy spirt?

One example would be to think that a sin you had committed was ‘unforgiveable’ by God.

Thinking your sin is greater that God’s mercy. This is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

God bless,
Noel.

CCC 1864 “Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven.” There are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit. Such hardness of heart can lead to final impenitence and eternal loss.

An example would be the Pharisees.
They had witnessed miracle after miracle being done by Jesus, including healings, resurrections of the dead, and many exorcisms, and yet they continued to insist that Jesus’s power was the power of Satan. Instead of repenting, they continually attacked the Holy Spirit.

Our Lord and St. John speak of a sin that shall not be forgiven. Our Lord calls it blasphemy against the Holy Spirit (Matthew 12:31), and St. John writes of the sin unto death (1 John 5:16). The explanation of these statements removes all difficulty. This sin has been identified by some as final impenitence, which manifestly is not forgiven. A fuller explanation is that this sin is the hardening of the heart against grace, which makes a person refuse to seek pardon. Such a sinner certainly is not forgiven, for they will not ask. This is the age long explanation of the Church’s writers, and is consistent with the scriptural statements. Neither our Lord nor St. John says that the sin “cannot” be forgiven, but that it “will not” be forgiven.

I don’t think that passage really means anything much. Jesus had cured a few people, and was accused of doing it through the power of the devil. He was annoyed because, ultimately, there is no answer to that sort of accusation. So He said that, of all sins, that of blaspheming the Holy Spirit can’t be forgiven, a bit like a schoolmaster, faced with an epidemic of undetectable plagiarism from the web, saying that of all academic offences that one will keep his pupils out of university.

Basicially it is not true, it’s a form of pedagogical lying.

Basically, the way I interpret it, is that if you live your life continually denying God, and attacking God and His church, and basically spend your life actively working against the spirit of God, and die without having asked forgiveness, then your soul would not be open to God’s mercy, so therefore, since you did not ask forgiveness for your sins, God will not forgive you. I believe that God WILL forgive any sin, as long as a person is sincerely repentant and asks for the grace.

wow…the evidence is all there, and yet you still can’t see the answer

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.